What is Mindfulness?
...paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally.
Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, founding Executive Director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School
Research has shown that mindfulness practice has many benefits:
- Stress reduction
- Increase in working memory
- Less emotional reactivity
- More cognitive flexibility
- Increased relationship satisfaction
- Health benefits such as increased immune function
Mindfulness Audio and Video
- Meditation - Why and How to Meditate from Wellcast
- TED Talk Andy Puddicombe All it Takes is 10 Mindful Minutes
- University of San Diego Center for Mindfulness Guided Audio Recordings
- Breathe2Relax Google Play, App Store
- Breathe2Relax is a portable stress management tool. Breathe2Relax is a hands-on diaphragmatic breathing exercise. Breathing exercises have been documented to decrease the body's 'fight-or-flight' (stress) response, and help with mood stabilization, anger control, and anxiety management.
- Stop, Breathe & Think Google Play, App Store
A friendly, simple tool to guide people of all ages and backgrounds through meditations for mindfulness and compassion.
Check out more Apps on our Self-Help Apps page.
UH Hilo Resources
- Relaxation Station
- Feeling overwhelmed or just plain stressed out? Come let go of your stress at Relaxation Station with fun and relaxing activities. Mandalas, sand play, vision board collage and play-doh are just some of the relaxing activities. Free to all UH Hilo students.
- Mindfulness and Stress Management Class
- "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - quoted by Jon Kabat-Zinn in Wherever You Go, There You Are. In just 4 classes you can learn the tools you need to surf the waves of stress. Come join us! If you are interested in the Mindfulness Class, contact Emily Low (email email@example.com) or register at: https://goo.gl/forms/c1XLONJIE0ZGH65r2
- HeartMath emWave Training
After an initial screening, you can be trained to use the HearthMath emWave heart rate variability (HRV) biofeedback computer program and learn to change your reaction to stress. To learn more about the science behind biofeedback training, read Biofeedback in medicine: who, when,why and how?, an article in Mental Health in Family Medicine. Make an appointment to get started.
Check our Student Health and Wellness Programs Event Calendar for updates about monthly Relaxation Station events held on campus.