What is Mindfulness?
...paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally.
Jon Kabat-Zinn, PhD, founding Executive Director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School
Research has shown that mindfulness practice has many benefits:
- Stress reduction
- Increase in working memory
- Less emotional reactivity
- More cognitive flexibility
- Increased relationship satisfaction
- Health benefits such as increased immune function
Mindfulness Audio and Video
- Meditation: How to Meditate from Wellcast
- TED Talk by Andy Puddicombe: All it Takes is 10 Mindful Minutes
- Breathe2Relax (iOS): Breathe2Relax is a portable stress management tool. Breathe2Relax is a hands-on diaphragmatic breathing exercise. Breathing exercises have been documented to decrease the body's 'fight-or-flight' (stress) response, and help with mood stabilization, anger control, and anxiety management.
Check out more Apps on our Self-Help Apps page.
UH Hilo Resources
- Relaxation Station: Feeling overwhelmed or just plain stressed out? Come let go of your stress at Relaxation Station with fun and relaxing activities. Mandalas, sand play, vision board collage and play-doh are just some of the relaxing activities. Free to all UH Hilo students.
- Mindfulness and Stress Management Class: "You can’t stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - quoted by Jon Kabat-Zinn in Wherever You Go, There You Are. In just 4 classes, you can learn the tools you need to surf the waves of stress. Come join us!
- HeartMath Training: Learn more about HeartMath at UH Hilo! See also the HeartMath website for more information.
Check our Student Health and Wellness Programs Event Calendar for updates about monthly Relaxation Station events held on campus.