Welcome to UH Hilo's Financial Aid Office!
We Are Here to Serve You!
The Financial Aid Office is here to serve you, both virtually and in-person. You can get answers to basic financial aid questions by asking Mālama, UH Hilo's Chatbot, and by viewing Financial Aid TV videos.
You can connect with us anytime via email at email@example.com. You can also reach us by phone at 808-932-7449 or by visiting the Financial Aid Office in-person anytime during our normal office hours of Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:00pm.
- Financial Aid How-To
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Financial Aid Forms
- What kind of financial aid is available?
- Estimated Cost of Attendance for 2023-2024
- How does my enrollment affect my financial aid?
- Course Program of Study (CPoS)
- Special and Unusual Circumstances
- Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy
- Return to Title IV Funds (R2T4) Policy
- Other Important Information
- Terms & Conditions for Financial Aid
- Consumer Information
2024-25 FAFSA Information
Due to the passing of the FAFSA Simplification Act, the FAFSA has changed for the 2024-25 aid year. Here’s an overview of some changes to expect:
- The FAFSA introduced the term 'contributor', which refers to anyone who is required to provide information on a student’s FAFSA, including the student, the student’s spouse, a biological or adoptive parent, or the parent’s spouse.
- Consent is required from all students and most contributors (depending on tax filing status) to retrieve federal tax information (FTI) from the IRS using the FUTURE Act Direct Data Exchange (FA-DDX) whether a U.S. Tax Return was filed or not.
- The Student Aid Index (SAI) is replacing the Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
- The Student Aid Report (SAR) is now the FAFSA Submission Summary (FSS).
- An FSA ID is required for all students and contributors to provide consent and approval, sign, and submit the form. If you already have one, you do not need to create a new one.
When is your FAFSA going to be processed? (Updated: January 30, 2024)
- The Department of Education is expected to process and release FAFSA information to schools in March. Please note: Paper FAFSAs will be processed in the weeks following.
- Once the FAFSA is processed, students will be sent an email with instructions on how to access their FAFSA Submission Summary (FSS) and/or make corrections.
- More information regarding the 2024-25 FAFSA launch can be found online here: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/fafsa-support.
2024-25 FAFSA Issues (Updated: February 15, 2024)
There have been many issues with the launch of the new 2024-25 FAFSA. UH Hilo is committed to helping our students as best we can. If you have any questions or need assistance with the FAFSA, please contact the Financial Aid Office. These are some known issues that have not yet been resolved:
- Parent(s) without SSN are unable to start the FAFSA for a student or contribute to an existing form.
- Married student or parent who does not provide spouse’s information before leaving the FAFSA form will not be able to complete and submit the form upon re-entry.
- Students without SSN are unable to return and continue, or start a new form if they exited the FAFSA form before answering the ‘State of Legal Residency’ question.
- Students recieving 'application failed to save' error when entering an A-number that ends in zero and unable to proceed beyond "Selected Colleges and Career Schools" page to "Review" page.