On this page
In response to the current situation with Coronavirus, Campus Recreation will be modifying service for the Spring semester. This is subject to change with guidance from the administration. Please see below for more detailed information.
Your safety is our primary concern. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your cooperation as we all work together to mitigate the spread of this virus.
UH Hilo Student usage resumed on Aug. 17th, 2020. IDs are required and must be validated at campus center.
Faculty/Staff Memberships resumed on Sept 1st. Faculty/Staff & Alumni Memberships.
The Campus Recreation Department offers current Hawaiʻi Community College (Hawaiʻi CC) Student Membership. UH Hilo Students who are taking ONLINE classes ONLY, a fee of $78 is required. IDs are required and must be validated at campus center.
Alumni memberships will resume when space becomes available and campus reopens to the public.
Pool and Gym Usage
Campus Recreation will be using a reservation system to ensure maximum capacity is not exceeded and allow for sanitizing of the facility.
Before reserving a spot review our new guidelines about gym usage.
Everyone must wear a face covering at all times, even while working out. The only exception is while swimming.
Sign up for one timeslot per day/per person. The building will be cleared every 1 1/2 hour for sanitizing.
Restrooms are open. No towel or locker rentals will be available during this time. CDC guidelines recommends showering and changing at home.
Hours and Sign-up
Sign up for one timeslot per person, per day.
Ke Alaloa O Kūkini Program Already Open Online!
Ke Alaloa O Kūkini, roughly translated is "The Long Pathway of the Swift Runner". By completing the distance of the Kūkinis’ path at your UH Hilo Student Life Center not only will you get active and feel good you will also earn a Ke Alaloa O Kūkini t-shirt! To start your path Sign-up here.
Equipment Rental Program
- Bike Share program
- Kayak Rentals
- Paddle Board Rentals
- Inflatable Paddleboard rentals
Overview of Programming
During this time of Quarantine and Online classes Campus Recreation at UH Hilo is here for you! We want to be part of helping you through this crazy time!
We have the following programs to help you on your journey to being the best you!
- The online fitness challenges such as the Ke Alaloa O Kūkini Run series,
- The virtual fitness classes like Yoga, Zumba and more.
- Learn about social distancing activities with our outdoor Zoom info sessions such as which beaches are open, basics of backcountry trails at volcano!
- Thinking about training for a big race or getting in better shape? We have a online classes in health/wellness and where you can train around the island!
- Come in and rent a bike, kayak or paddleboard for social distant Activities
- UH Hilo Campus Recreation is apart of Rec Movement. These are virtual fitness classes offered by UH Hilo and over 150 other colleges Campus Recreation Departments across the country. Sign into the Recreation's sign-up page to get more information!
To sign-up and take any of these classes Sign-up Here
- MWF - 5pm Virtual Zumba
- MWF - 1pm Virtual Boot Camp Group Fitness
- TR - 6pm Virtual Zumba Toning
- W - 5pm Virtual Yoga
- Plus tons more online, live and on demand, through Rec Movement!
The Campus Recreation Department enhances the quality of life and builds the campus community by educating and encouraging participation in activities that promote healthy lifestyles, social interactions, and leadership skills. The Campus Recreation Department creates an atmosphere that encourages individuals to develop life-long involvement in recreational activities and is dedicated to meeting the changing needs of a diverse community by offering quality structured and informal recreational opportunities.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Campus Recreation Department , as part of Student Affairs, celebrates diversity.
Campus Recreation is dedicated to providing an inclusive environment with safe services, programs, and facilities that are welcoming to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, spirituality, gender, gender identity/expression, age, sexual orientation, ability, socioeconomic status, or national origin. In an effort to accommodate the campus community, we provide multiple programs and adaptive fitness equipment and facilities to address various skill, ability, and individual comfort levels.