In response to the current situation with Coronavirus, Campus Recreation will be modifying service for the Fall 2020 School semester. This is subject to change with guidance from the administration. Please see below for more detailed information.
Your safety is our primary concern. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your cooperation as we all work together to mitigate the spread of this virus. We are also aware that the membership you purchased is not being realized. Be assured that all the days that the Student Life Center is closed will be credited back to you. If your membership is expiring soon, please refrain from renewing your membership during this time.
UH Hilo Student usage will start on Aug. 17th, 2020. ID's are required and must be validated at campus center.
Faculty/Staff Memberships will resume on Sept 1st! Faculty/Staff.
Current Hawaii CC Memberships are available! Hawaiʻi Community College (Hawaiʻi CC) Student Membership. Memberships can be purchased online with a credit card only. ID's are required and must be validated at campus center. Go to Become a Member at the sidebar.
Alumni Memberships are currently unavailable due to COVID-19 and will resume when space becomes available.
Pool and Gym Usage
Campus Recreation will be using a reservation system to ensure maximum capacity is not exceeded and allow for sanitizing of the facility.
Before reserving a spot review our new guidelines about gym usage.
Everyone must wear a face covering at all times, even while working out. The only exception is while swimming.
Sign up for one timeslot per day/per person. The building will be cleared every 1 1/2 hour for sanitizing.
Restrooms are open. No towel or locker rentals will be available during this time. CDC guidelines recommends showering and changing at home.
Hours and Sign-up
Sign up for one timeslot per person, per day.
Equipment Rental Program
- Bike Share program
- Kayak Rentals
- Paddle Board Rentals
- Inflatable Paddleboard rentals
Ke Alaloa O Kūkini Program Already Open Online!
- Ke Alaloa O Kūkini, roughly translated is "The Long Pathway of the Swift Runner".
- Complete the distance of the Kūkinis’ path at your UH Hilo Student Life Center and earn a Ke Alaloa O Kūkini t-shirt!
- Sign-up here
Overview of Programing
During this time of Quarantine and Online classes Campus Recreation at UH Hilo is here for you! We want to be part of helping you through this crazy time!
We have the following programs to help you on your journey to being the best you!
- The online fitness challenges such as the Kuikini Run series,
- The virtual fitness classes like Yoga, Zumba and more.
- Learn about social distancing activities with our outdoor Zoom info sessions such as which beaches are open, basics of backcountry trails at volcano!
- Thinking about training for a big race or getting in better shape, we have a online classes in health/wellness and where you can train around the island!
- Come in and rent a bike, kayak or paddleboard for social distant Activities
- MWF - 5 pm Virtual Zumba
- TR - 12 noon Virtual Yoga
- MWF -12 am Virtual Boot Camp Group Fitness
- Avoiding the Freshman Class 15 - September
- Body Composition Basics Class – October
- Fad Diet Info Class - November
- Big Island Beaches Zoom Info session - 2 pm - Friday, Sept 18th
- Kona side beaches - Repeated in Oct
- Shore Diving Hawaii -Repeated in Oct
- Running around Hilo - 2 pm Sunday, Sept 20th
- Hiking Spots around the island - 2 pm - Friday, Sept 25th
- National Park Trails and Activities info Session – 2 pm - Friday, Oct 2st
- Bird Watching on Big Island – October
- Backcountry Trails Info Session – October
- Know your Knots Class online – November
- Rules of the Road Nautical Navigation – November
- Biking – For Fun and Training Info Sessions – September
- Spectacular Snorkeling Destinations – September
Virtual Experiences around the island
- Mountain Biking - Kalopa Bike Trail Virtual Ride - October
- Mountain Biking - Kulani Bike Trail Virtual Ride- November
- Pictionary Virtual Tournament - September
- Trivia Virtual Tournament - September
- Bingo Virtual Tournament - October
- Scattergories Virtual Tournament - November
- Poker Virtual Tournament - October
The Campus Recreation Department enhances the quality of life and builds the campus community by educating and encouraging participation in activities that promote healthy lifestyles, social interactions, and leadership skills. The Campus Recreation Department creates an atmosphere that encourages individuals to develop life-long involvement in recreational activities and is dedicated to meeting the changing needs of a diverse community by offering quality structured and informal recreational opportunities.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Campus Recreation Department , as part of Student Affairs, celebrates diversity.
Campus Recreation is dedicated to providing an inclusive environment with safe services, programs, and facilities that are welcoming to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, spirituality, gender, gender identity/expression, age, sexual orientation, ability, socioeconomic status, or national origin. In an effort to accommodate the campus community, we provide multiple programs and adaptive fitness equipment and facilities to address various skill, ability, and individual comfort levels.