Office of Equal Opportunity
The Office of Equal Opportunity (OEO) ensures that the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo is in compliance with federal and state laws, executive orders, and University and campus policies and procedures pertaining to EO matters.
The Director performs the following:
- advises the Chancellor, administrators, faculty and staff on all matters related to EO programs and compliance guidelines
- develops, implements and conducts educational training programs and workshops on sexual harassment and discrimination
- advises search committees
- oversees the campus affirmative action programs and prepares the annual affirmative action plan updates
- prepares other federally mandated reports
- conducts fact-finding investigations of discrimination complaints filed under University procedures
- investigates and prepares campus responses to charges filed with external agencies
- produces educational materials to publicize EO information to students and employees
Title IX is a federal civil rights law that prohibits gender-based discrimination in educational programs that receive federal financial assistance.
Prohibited behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- sexual harassment/assault
- gender-based harassment/discrimination
- domestic/dating violence.
For information on Title IX at UH Hilo and how to file a report, please see our Title IX page.