University 101: Paths to Academic Success
Launched in Fall 2015, the newly designed 1-credit UNIV 101 course is a UH Hilo “user’s manual” for freshmen. UNIV 101 teaches the skills every student needs to master to be successful. University 101 will also foster expectations, learning skills, and the growth mindset associated with student success. We need dynamic, dedicated faculty to lead inaugural sections of this one-credit course. College success classes like UNIV 101 have been shown to be associated with increased retention for all levels of students.
Course objectives are:
- Understand and use appropriate campus resources and opportunities
- Understand the purpose, value, and requirements of campus policies and procedures, deadlines, and the UH Hilo Student Code of Conduct
- Understand what it means to be a college student and a Vulcan in the context of the history and culture of UH Hilo and the surrounding community.
- Understand the ways in which high school study methods differ from those appropriate for college
- Apply appropriate academic strategies (note-taking, test-taking, and reading skills) to courses and learning experiences.
- Understand and apply effective personal strategies (self-responsibility; time-management, goal setting, and prioritization skills)
- Understand and apply skills, habits and practices that foster positive relationships with peers, faculty, and staff
- Create a personal connection with UH Hilo that will last beyond graduation