Applied Learning at UH Hilo
Applied learning experiences engage students in real world situations requiring them to put into action the knowledge and skills they are developing through academic coursework. These experiences help students connect academic learning to the real world, enabling them to obtain and enhance the knowledge and skills required for employment, further education, and active participation in the local community.
Applied learning experiences at The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo can include:
- Internships and practical experience with local businesses and agencies
- Involvement in faculty research
- Artistic and creative endeavors
- Student employment
Resources for programs, departments and agencies providing applied learning experiences can be found below:
UH Hilo Campus Applied Learning Programs:
- Pacific Internship Programs for Exploring Science (PIPES)
- Marine Option Program (MOP)
- Students of Hawaiʻi Advanced Research Program (SHARP)
- Experimental Program to Support Competitive Research (EPSCOR
- Space Grant Hawaiʻi Consortium
- Keaholoa STEM Program
- College Central : Browse local and national internship and job postings.
- UH Hilo Internship Database
- Internship Courses: UH Hilo offers numerous internship credit courses. Course descriptions can be found in the UH Hilo Catalog. For more information on an internship course, please contact the Department Chair or College Deans Office. The current schedule of courses offered can be found on the Check Class Availability page.
Student Employment Opportunities:
- University of Hawaii Student Employment and Cooperative Education
- Research Corporation of the University of Hawaiʻi
Applied Learning at UH Hilo (ALEX)
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo