Learning to Care Classes
The Aquatic Program offers a variety of certifications to its members.
To sign-up you must come in and pay for the class in Cash or check during the business weeks prior to your class.
All classes are only open to UH Hilo students and members of the Student Life Center.
On this page:
American Red Cross Classes
First Aid/CPR/AED class
This certification is valid for 2 years and includes adult, child, and infant certifications. This is a great class to take to gain needed background knowledge and potential lifesaving skills. This is a one day class offered only for UH Hilo Students and SLC members. Cost is 45 dollars and is payable the day of the in person skills class.
- Sign-up online
- The week of class you will get an email with instructions on how to access and complete online portion of the class
- Finish the online class; before the in-person class day
- Once you have completed the online class, successfully complete the in-person skills session (held at the Student Life Center)
Fall 2023 Class Dates:
- November 9, 2023 (Thursday) at 12pm
- November 15, 2023 (Wednesday) at 12pm
- December 8, 2023 (Friday) at 9am
CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Healthcare Providers with First Aid
This is a class that is intended for students who are accepted and/or work in the Healthcare field. This class includes topics for Adult, Child and Infant skills, professional topics including Two Person CPR and use of a Bag-Valve Mask (BVM). This is a one day class offered only for UH Hilo Students and SLC members. Cost is $55.
This class includes the full 2 year American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification, First Aid/CPR for the Professional Rescuer. All certifications are for 2 years from certification date. There is a swim test to enter this class. The swim test may be taken at the SLC Pool anytime the pool is open!
This class also includes the admin of emergency oxygen course! This is a must have if you are a SCUBA diver!
There are two opportunities to become certified this semester. Students must attend all three, pass all exams and skills evaluations to earn certification.
- 90 Dollars
New Covid Blended learning protocols-
- Sign-up online
- The week of class you will get an email for the online class
- Finish the online class; before the class day
- Once you have completed the online class, sign-up for a timeslot to come in for the in-person skills sessions (limited groupings ).
Wilderness and Remote First Aid Weekend
This is a weekend class that expands on First Aid in more remote and challenging areas! Class Cost is $40, perquisite is CPR/AED with First Aid Card
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Who can sign-up for the course?
- current UH Hilo Students or members of the Student Life Center.
- Which course is for me?
- Please consult the organization that you are needing the course for to ensure that you are in the correct course. Example is if you need needing a certification card for work, does your employer take American Red Cross certifications and what level are they needing. Most people need just the basic/lay responder level of CPR/First Aid/AED.
- What is the lifeguard swim test?
- The lifeguard swim test is a 300 swim using only freestyle or breaststroke, two minutes of treading water without the use of your arms and the timed retrieval of a 10-pound brick from depth.
- How long are the classes?
- Most CPR courses are 5-7 hours starting at 9am. The Lifeguard training course is about 24 hours starting Friday evening 5pm-9:30pm and both Saturday/Sunday at 8am to about 6pm.
- Are the courses physically demanding?
- Yes, the courses will require you to do multiple minutes of CPR and rolling victims and the lifeguarding courses will be hours and hours in the water, lifting and moving people. Please consult your healthcare provider if you have any questions about your ability to preform these tasks.