The Outdoor edVenture program was established in 2008 to provide a wide range of outdoor activities and programs at a variety of skill levels for the UH Hilo community. Participants have the opportunity to explore the Big Island by participating in diverse adventure trips. Ultimately, participants will gain an appreciation and concern for the natural environment, meet new people, and have a great time!
On this page:
Upcoming Outdoor EdVenture Activities
This Weekends EdVenture!
Volcano Hike & Caldera Tour
Sign-up today to join us this Sunday, January at 3:00p!
On this afternoon hike you will get the chance to explore The Volcanoes National Park!
We will be visiting Thurston Lava Tube, Devistation Trail, The Sulfur Banks, Steam vents and ending the day with a night viewing of Kīlauea Caldera!
This trip leaves campus at 3:00p and is not expected back until around 7:30p
Because The Volcanoes National Park has an entrance fee, we will be charging each participant $5 cash at the time of check-in.
Space is limited, so sign up today!
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact Outdoor@hawaii.edu
UH Hilo students enjoy the outdoors
During this time of Quarantine and Online classes Campus Recreation at UH Hilo is here for you! We want to be part of helping you through this crazy time!
We have the following programs to help you on your journey to being the best you!
- The virtual fitness classes like Yoga, Zumba and more.
- Learn about social distancing activities with our outdoor Zoom info sessions such as which beaches are open, basics of backcountry trails at volcano!
- Thinking about training for a big race or getting in better shape, we have a online classes in health/wellness and where you can train around the island!
- Come in and rent a bike, kayak or paddleboard for social distant Activities
Check out our Boating Programs
Check-out Campus Recreation's Boating Programming
Photos of Previous Trips are all posted on Facebook
Our photos are posted in the Facebook albums.
Equipment Rental Program
To sign-up for outdoor trips you must come to the outdoor office inside the Student Life Center the week of trip. You must bring your student or SLC ID to sign up for the trips.
Hours for the outdoor office are
- Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm
- If there is a holiday on Monday, we will be closed and open Tuesday at 8:00am
- Requests for accommodations must be made at least 10 business days in advance.