Steps to Study Abroad
- Meet with a study abroad advisor.
- Understand the study abroad requirements.
- Choose a study abroad option.
UH Hilo Study Abroad Application
- Read & understand the study abroad application checklist.
- Complete the study abroad application.
- Be sure to submit necessary documents.
- The window for scholarship and aid applications is generally from January 1st to March 1st.
- Refer to the study abroad Scholarship Opportunities page.
- Check out the UH System Scholarship Database.
Financing Study Abroad
- Print and complete the budget sheet (PDF)
- If applicant qualifies for financial aid and he/she has met with a study abroad advisor then applicant should set up an appointment with a financial aid counselor at the UH Hilo Financial Aid Office.
Host University/Affiliated Program Application
- Once the applicant's UH Hilo study abroad application has been accepted the assigned study abroad advisor will then guide the applicant through the Host University/Affiliated Program application process.
- Provided CGEE have all required documents, the office will mail the applicant's completed Host University/Affiliated Program application.
- The first official transcript required to be submitted to host university/affiliated program is free.
Study Abroad Course Approval
- A minimum of 15 credits per semester abroad needs to be approved before student departs to Host University/Affiliated Program.
- Student must complete a Study Abroad Course Approval (SACA) form (PDF) with courses that he/she is planning on taking abroad.
- The completed SACA form must be submitted to the respective department chairs to be approved. For example, an economics course will need to be approved by the Economics Department Chair
- Provide all relevant information (course syllabus or description).
Review the Global Vulcan Checklist (PDF) for guidance.