Why Study Abroad
UH Hilo encourages all undergraduate students to study abroad. Study abroad is a crucial part of a well-roundedundergraduate education.
The Big 3 Reasons
- Become more mature and self-confident while learning the skills to succeed in an unfamiliar environment and enjoy adapting to new places.
- Earn academic credit that will fulfill graduation requirements while experiencing a new environment.
- Get an international experience beyond a superficial tourist experience. Understand how culture guides values and behaviors, and learn to respect different cultures.
- Practice intercultural competencies that enhances career and social relationships
- Add to resume which will make it more appealing to employers.
- Enhance career opportunities with a second or third language which is invaluable to the future of the workforce.
ESSCA: School of Management, France
- Business Administration
"My classmates were from all over the world. Working on group-based projects together allowed me to think differently because of the wide variety of perspectives in the group."
University of Waikato, New Zealand
“I adapted to a new education system, met people from all around the world, experienced new cultures, learned new slang, ate new food, studied hard, traveled to new and beautiful places, and became just a little more independent.”
Uppsala University, Sweden and Doshisha University, Japan
- Biology & Computer Science
“Though the struggles were many and expectations were few, many good memories were made and I grew to love the country, its people, and the culture that encompass the snowy Sweden.”
Semester at Sea
“Although going to many different countries was exciting, the most meaningful interactions I’ve had took place on the ship. It’s amazing how impactful our community was, it was unlike any other college campus. Being able to live with the staff and faculty really changed the atmosphere of the campus. We were able to eat meals, attend ship events, and sometimes even travel with the professors. This allowed students to have a more personal relationship with the staff, something that you rarely experience at a typical university.”
University of Hawaiʻi Alumni Feature
Chung Ang University, South Korea and University of the Ryukyus, Japan and Hijiyama University, Japan
“Studying abroad also helped me explore my art more in-depth. While in Japan and Korea, I showed my photography at galleries and explored other artistic media, skills I also bring to Tesla.”
Read full interview: Local designer credits overseas study for position at Tesla
Pontifícia Universidade Católica (PUC-Rio), Brazil
“ It is safe to say that I would not be where I am today professionally without ... the opportunity to be a Global Vulcan.”
Read full interview: 8 Things to Know About Working for a Federal Agency
Read about other students' experiences on their worldwide adventures.