Importance of International Education
Importance of Studying Abroad
Studying abroad provides many advantages students can gain, such as:
- Broadening world views and ways of thinking by experiencing different cultures firsthand.
- Benefiting students with future career opportunities by providing more life experiences and personal connections.
- Complementing and accelerating fluency in speaking, reading, and writing foreign languages.
- Providing an alternative academic experience by taking courses not offered elsewhere while earning credits towards graduation.
- Providing opportunities for leadership development through interactions with different cultures.
- Providing opportunities for personal growth and development by gaining self confidence and life experience.
Chung-Ang University, South Korea
Major: Business Administration: Marketing
"I have never been to a city that is so vibrant and alive! I grew up thinking that my world was so small because I lived in Hilo, but having this opportunity to go study abroad has really changed the way I see the world. I will definitely be studying abroad again because this is truly an experience of a lifetime!"
Seinan Gakuin University, Japan
Major: Japanese Studies
“For me it was like a dream, I never thought that I would be able to have the chance to travel to a foreign country. The time I spent in Japan is one I’ll never forget. I’ve made friends from all over the world and throughout this whole experience, I have learned so much about different cultures, lifestyles, values, and myself. I hope one day I’ll be able to return, see everyone again.”
Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan
Seoul Women's University, South Korea
Major: Japanese Studies & Linguistics
“Studying abroad has changed my life forever and expanded my global awareness. I was one of the lucky ones that had the opportunity to study abroad in two different countries. My first experience was a yearlong session at Kyoto Sangyo University in Japan, where I was able to immerse myself in my cultural heritage, meet people across the world and be fortunate enough to meet relatives for the first time. My second study abroad session was with the Bahrom International Program in South Korea. I engaged myself in a different Asian culture and visited many historical landmarks. Studying abroad will change your perspective of the world.”
University of Waikato, Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Major: Hawaiian Studies and Anthropology
"Tēnā rā tātou! Aloha nui kākou! Honestly, there is absolutely no way that I can explain the experience I had in Aotearoa in just 3 sentences. That 1 year at Waikato changed my life forever, it was way more than I had ever expected. I got to live my dream by immersing myself in the Māori culture and it was just the most epic experience. I can't even begin to explain the people that I have met and the connections I have made with my new "family" in Aotearoa! Its like I now live two lives, I have my family here in Hawaiʻi but I also have a huge loving family in Aotearoa! If there is one thing I could tell others who are thinking about studying abroad, I'd say, DO IT! Trust me, you will not regret it. Kia ora!"