Center for Global Education and Exchange

Things to Consider

Health and Safety

UH Hilo's CGEE office would like to ensure that your student will stay safe and healthy while abroad. Complete safety, however, cannot be guaranteed. To minimize risk, UH Hilo does not offer or recommend going abroad to countries listed on the U.S. Department of State travel warning list. Connecting students with peers who have previously studied abroad allows your student to address any concerns he or she has regarding studying abroad.

Although students may have U.S. health insurance coverage, it may not always be accepted or apply internationally or cover travel incidentals. An International Student Identification Card (ISIC) is required for travel insurance. The ISIC insurance card is reasonably priced and issued at our office. For more detailed information regarding the insurance coverage visit the ISIC website.

In the weeks before departure, family and students are urged to visit the following websites to obtain additional health and safety information.