Center for Global Education and Exchange

Passport & Paperwork

UH Hilo's CGEE is not an issuing office

Obtain or Renew Your Passport Immediately

If you do not already have a passport that will be valid for at least six months after your return to the U.S., you should apply for one as soon as possible.

  • Typical processing time: 4-6 weeks
  • Application process: Submit your application in person to the nearest Post Office or to an Acceptance Facility such as EDvance Hawaiʻi Community College.
  • Passport photos: Take additional photos for ID cards, visa applications, and to bring abroad. Local options for passport photos:
    • Walmart
    • Longs Drugs Store

Obtain a Student Visa (If required)

  • Complete your Student Visa application to your host country (if applicable).
  • Your Student Visa application can be found at your HOST Country’s Embassy/Consulate website (which will be based in the U.S).
  • Check the embassy’s website to see what supporting documents you will need submit along with your VISA application.
  • CGEE will mail your Student Visa application once completed and submitted to your study abroad advisor, providing we have all required supporting documents.

Special Note for Non-U.S. Citizens

Contact UH Hilo International Student Association (ISA) office at (808) 932-7467 immediately to ensure you do not jeopardize your residency status by participating in a program abroad.