Office of the Registrar Home

Tuition and Fees Payment Information

This page is to be used as a general guide. For exact dates and deadlines for tuition and fees and related policies, please contact the Cashier's Office at (808) 932-7025.

1. What is the deadline to pay for tuition and fees?

Please note that if you register for classes at other campuses within the UH system, other tuition and fee payment deadlines must be met to retain your registration in those classes. Check the payment deadlines for all UH campuses on MyUH Services.

If you register for classes but then need to drop some or all of them, you are responsible for dropping the classes. Failure to drop your classes (even if you are not attending them) does not absolve you from having to pay for them. To avoid being responsible for charges, please adhere to the policies described below.

Fall Semester Early Registrants:
If you do not pay for your classes by the Early Registration Deadline or you do not make payment arrangements, your classes MAY be dropped by the UH System for non payment.

2. What are the policies about tuition refunds?

The Cashier’s Office has the most up-to-date information regarding tuition refunds, please see the Cashier's Office website.

Withdrawing on or before Tuition Refund
Second Week of Instruction 100%
Third Week of Instruction 50%
Fourth Week of Instruction or Later 0%

In other words: Drop your classes by the second week of instruction to either get a tuition refund or not be obligated to pay for the classes! After the second week of instruction, you will only get 50% of your tuition back (or be obligated to pay for 50%), and after the fourth week of instruction, you will not get any of your tuition back (or be obligated to pay for the tuition in full).

Fees: Students who drop all of their classes by the second week of instruction will receive a 100% refund of fees. However, students will not receive a refund of fees if they drop only some of their classes.

Summer Enrollment: Students enrolled in courses in the Summer term must abide by the withdrawal deadlines posted on the Academic Calendar for Summer Session 1 and Summer Session 2. Withdrawal and refund deadlines vary for special Summer term dates and can be looked up for each individual course/CRN here.

3. If I plan not to attend, will my classes be dropped for me automatically?

No. If you register for classes and then your plans change such that you do not intend to take the classes anymore, you are responsible for dropping the classes. UH Hilo will not drop your classes for you. If you do not drop your classes, you will still be enrolled (even if you are not attending classes) and therefore responsible for tuition and fee charges. In addition, you will be assessed a grade at the end of the term.

The University of Hawaiʻi System will drop early registrants for the Fall Semester for non-payment. Please be sure to make prior arrangements with Financial Aid or participate in the UH Installment Payment Plan.

To avoid being responsible for any tuition charges, drop your classes no later than the end of the second week of instruction. If you drop your classes during the third week of instruction, you will be responsible for 50% of the tuition charges and all fees. After the third week of instruction, you are responsible for the full tuition and fee charges.

Note: Once classes begin, a student can withdraw from his/her last or only class via MyUH until the Last Day to Drop a Class Online with a "W". Please see the Academic Calendar for the appropriate corresponding date. After the Last Day to Drop a Class Online with a "W", students must obtain a Complete Withdrawal form from the Office of the Registrar or download from the Office of the Registrar Forms webpage and follow official procedures. Please be sure to review the Tuition and Fee Refunds schedule to determine the financial implications of doing a complete withdrawal. Contact the UH Hilo Office of the Registrar at (808) 932-7447 or for more information.

4. How do I know how much to pay?

For more information or questions about your payment, contact the UH Hilo Cashier's Office at (808) 932-7025.

After you register, your tuition and fees total will appear in your account summary. You will not be sent a bill. To view your account summary, log in to the MyUH Services, and choose "Review My Charges/Make an Online Payment." Be aware that making changes in your schedule may affect the amount due, so check your account summary each time you make a change. You can access the tuition rates and fee rates.

Please be aware that if you register for courses at other UH campuses, additional tuition and fees may be incurred, so always review your charges when you register for courses at other campuses.

5. How do I pay?

For more information or questions about your payment options, contact the UH Hilo Cashier's Office at (808) 932-7025.

You have the option to pay online with a credit card (Mastercard, VISA, or eCheck) or in person at any UH Cashier's Office via cash or check. You may also mail in a check to the UH Hilo Cashier's Office at 200 W. Kāwili St., Hilo, HI 96720. If you mail in a check, please include your full name, UH ID number, and what Academic term the tuition & fees payment is for. Checks must be received by the payment deadline. Returned checks will result in a $25 charge and a hold will be placed on your account.

6. Is there a payment plan?

Registered students have the option to use a UH Installment Payment Plan to pay for their tuition.

For more information, contact the Cashier's Office at (808) 932-7025.

7. I'm receiving financial aid. What do I do?

Most scholarships, grants, and loans will be credited directly to your student account. You will need to ensure that you have completed the registration process so that your financial aid funds can be released to your account in a timely manner. If you do not intend to complete your UH Hilo courses, please notify the Financial Aid Office. For information or questions about financial aid and scholarships, contact the UH Hilo Financial Aid Office at (808) 932-7449.

If you have a financial aid award that is greater than your expenses (tuition, fees, housing, meal plan), a check will be mailed to you for the "leftover" amount (or, for students who have made such arrangements with the UH Hilo Cashier's Office, the amount will be directly deposited into your bank account). You should ensure that your current mailing address is up-to-date with UH Hilo. Review your address information on the MyUH and make corrections as needed. Some financial aid funds, especially those issued by outside agencies, may require that you pick up and endorse the financial aid check.

Financial Aid Office approval is needed if you also plan to enroll at any other campus (including Hawaii Community College) and use the coursework as part of your required credit hour enrollment at UH Hilo. To do so, fill out and submit the Prior Authorization for Transfer Credit form (PDF) or pick up a copy of the form at the Financial Aid Office.

According to Federal regulations, federal financial aid awards can only pay for tuition and fees that are assessed by your home institution. If you are enrolled in courses at a campus other than your home institution, you must pay for these classes separately by cash, check or credit card. The balance of your financial aid award, after your home institution charges are paid for, will be refunded to you.

8. Is there a late fee?

$30 will be assessed to your account if you do not register by the day prior to the first day of instruction .

9. Why am I being charged for classes I didn't attend?

If you didn't drop your classes during the refund period (see above), you will be charged for the tuition, even if you didn't pay for it or attend the class. By registering for a class, you are holding a seat in a class; by holding a seat in a class, you are preventing another student from registering for the class. Thus, the University expects that you will pay for tuition unless you drop a class during the refund period. Please be considerate of your fellow students and drop a class that you don't intend to take as soon as possible so that other students have an opportunity to add the class.

Tuition appeals may be submitted to the Office of the Registrar using the Tuition Appeal for Special Circumstances form and supplying supporting documents must be provided. Appeals will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis with consideration of all documentation provided. Students are responsible for payment of all tuition and fees that are still assessed on their accounts after the appeals process. The Office of the Registrar reserves the right to verify all information, including contacting doctors and instructors, and may review all academic progress at UH Hilo, such as attendance and course progress.

To include supporting documentation of medical information or records from the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Medical Services, please complete the Consent for Release of Medical Information or Records form (PDF) with the UH Hilo Student Medical Services to release your medical information or records to the UH Hilo Office of the Registrar. Please contact the Student Medical Services at (808) 932-7369 or with any questions or concerns regarding this form.

10. Employee Tuition Waivers

Employees must be employed on a half time basis or more to be eligible to use a tuition waiver at any campus for a maximum of six credits per semester. Spouses and domestic partners of members of bargaining units 07, 08, 87 and 88 may also be eligible for tuition waivers. Tuition waivers may be processed online via the MyUH Services student portal.

If a student is unable to process a waiver online, the revised Employee Tuition Waiver form must be completed and submitted to the appropriate campus Cashier's Office for processing. (All previous versions of this form should be destroyed.) The revised version of the form requires the employee's UH ID.

The Employee Tuition Waiver (PDF) form and additional information is available at the UH System Office of Human Resources. Please direct any questions to UH Hilo Human Resources Office at 932-7626.

Please be aware that you must be a current student to register for classes. See the Admissions Office to apply.

11. Who can I contact for more information?