Effective: December 16, 2016
An undergraduate student who has been dismissed from the University of Hawaii at Hilo for academic reasons may apply for readmission.Such a student may be readmitted only under circumstances deemed acceptable to the appropriate college dean.
Appeals for readmission must be received by the appropriate college dean at least two weeks prior to the first day of the semester or session. Readmission is not automatic and will be granted only where there is evidence the student will perform satisfactorily.
Readmission Review Process:
Upon receipt of the appeal for readmission:
- Student will build a graduation plan with advisor(s) from Advising Center and/or his or her major advisor.
- Student will write a statement of responsibility which:
- Identifies challenges
- Describes how the situation is changing to ensure success
- The Dean will consult with representatives from the student support programs and others relevant to the student's case (e.g. special population support, embedded advisor, Curriculum Committee) to decide whether the student be readmitted or not, and developsupport plans1.
- If readmission is granted, the student and dean will sign off on the support plan and any conditions.
- The dean will then communicate a brief rationale for the decision to support staff involved in the student's case.
- The Dean’s office will process readmission in Banner and forward the signed support plan to appropriate offices.
If a student is dismissed from College A and is appealing for readmission into College B, the dean of College B should also consult with the dean of College A. ↩︎