Protocol for University Personnel in Handling an Outside Agency Inspection
To establish procedures for managing and reporting regulatory agency inspections at the University of Hawaii.
Regulatory agencies may inspect any University facility or operation at any time. These agencies include:
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
- Department of Defense (DOD)
- Homeland Security
- Department of Health (DOH)
- Department of Agriculture (DOA)
- Department of Labor and Industrial Relations (DLIR)
- Hawaii Occupational Safety and Health (HIOSH)
City and County
- Honolulu Fire Department (HFD)
- Honolulu Police Department (HPD)
- Board of Water Supply
- Inspectors are required to present identifying credentials and provide an explanation for facility inspection. Before UH personnel shows the inspector the facility, they must contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHSO) at 933-3300 and their Department Chair to inform them of the inspection. EHSO will confirm whether a representative from their office will be in attendance. The Department Chair shall notify their Dean about the ongoing inspection.
- If an EHSO presence is not required for the inspection, UH personnel should accompany the inspector to provide access, introductions and to take notes on what the inspector does. Always answer questions truthfully. Be cordial and gracious but do not volunteer information.
- Ensure that all access requirements are followed, e.g. areas labeled for "Authorized Personnel Only" must not be entered unless everyone meets the entry requirements, i.e. training, personal protective equipment, etc.
- During the inspection, do not speculate on conditions discovered. If facility personnel are not available to provide the information, advise the inspector that the information will be obtained and provided. Document the specific information requested by the inspector.
- If the inspector finds problems, try to get them corrected immediately and report the fix before the inspector leaves.
- Ask for a closing conference if it is not part of the inspector's standard procedure. Invite EHSO, Dean and Department Chair. Request a photo copy of the inspector's notes and inspection form for retention by the University. Ensure that EHSO and the Department Chair receive copies.
- Before the inspector leaves, obtain information on how to contact them, where to send follow-up information and/or responses and know the exact deadlines set by inspectors for responses.
- Forward any notes and other information provided by the inspector to the Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHSO) .