University Housing

Special Living Arrangements

Students Requesting Housing Accommodations

UH Hilo has a variety of on-campus housing configurations designed to meet the needs of students with disabilities who are capable of living independently. Applicants requesting accommodations should indicate on their application the type of disability related housing accommodation that is needed. Assignment will be made in collaboration with the Disability Services Office, to determine the applicant’s residential accommodation. All decisions will be in alignment with the Housing Terms of Assignment. A resident student with a qualifying disability and approved accommodation will not be charged a higher rate due to the accommodation

Applicants requesting accommodations must also work with and be approved by the UH Hilo Disability Services office before formal housing accommodations can be implemented. The Housing staff will work closely with the applicant to ensure the appropriate accommodations are in place. Disability Services can be contacted at (808) 932-7623; TTY (808) 932-7002 or by email at

The available accessible housing units are:

Hale ʻIkena
Apartment for mobility, vision and auditory impaired.
Hale ‘Alahonua
Suites for mobility, vision and auditory impaired.
Hale Kehau
Suites for mobility, vision and auditory impaired.
Hale Kanilehua
room for mobility, vision and auditory impaired.

Married Students

Married students are permitted to reside in University Housing provided that at least one spouse per married couple is a full-time student who qualifies under the geographical area provisions of the BOR's applicable priority system, the other spouse being a full time or part-time student.

Special Dietary Needs

The Dining Hall offers a varied menu and is capable of creating a program to meet most special dietary needs of the residents. Residents should not assume that they will be exempt from the meal plan due to their dietary needs. Residents will be required to discuss any special dietary needs with food services staff in determining their ability to provide for the students nutritional needs.

Students with 30 credits or who are at least 21 years of age may choose to live at Hale ʻIkena Apartments which include kitchens in each unit.