University Housing

On Campus Housing Accommodations

On this page:


The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo welcomes all students and recognizes the importance of providing reasonable accommodation(s) in its housing policies and practices where necessary for residents with disabilities to use and enjoy on-campus University housing.

The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo University Housing (Housing) is in compliance with Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 as amended; the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; and the Fair Housing Act of 1968.


All students should follow the same housing application process. Students requesting disability accommodations should also indicate in their on-campus housing application the need and type of accommodation that they require. Housing will notify Disability Services that it has received an accommodation request. Housing will provide a provisional accommodation until formal notice of housing accommodation is received from Disability Services. Please note that official notification of accommodation from Disability Services needs to be received by Housing no later than July 15th for the Fall semester and November 7th for the Spring Semester. If notification is not received by this date, a student’s provisional accommodation will be rescinded.

Students with qualifying disabilities under Section 504/ADA and who receive a university-approved housing accommodation as a means of accommodating their qualifying disabilities will not be charged a higher residence hall room rate solely because of the need for the accommodation.

As a partner of Housing, Disability Services receives and reviews all student housing disability accommodation requests (e.g., single room, accessible shower, air conditioning, assistance animal). Accommodation requests and disability-related information and documentation should be provided directly to Disability Services Staff and are considered confidential. It is the responsibility of the student who has a qualifying need for a housing accommodation to submit their accommodation request(s) directly to Disability Services by the Housing application priority deadline of March 1st to best ensure receipt of requested accommodation. Request received after the priority deadline date will be prioritized according to the date received and terms of assignment.

Emotional Support Animals

In accordance with federal law, the University permits an individual with a disability to keep an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) within his or her University housing assignment and within restricted areas on University Housing grounds. A student must meet with the Disability Services Office and the Housing Staff when considering having an Emotional Support Animal while residing in University housing space.

An individual may not bring his or her Emotional Support Animal into other University buildings, including the dining center of his or her assigned University residential facility. An emotional support animal is not allowed to accompany a University employee into his or her workplace, or any other University building, unless that building is the employee’s assigned University residence.

After receiving approval from the Disability Services Office for an ESA, the student will register their ESA with University Housing by completing and reviewing the terms and conditions of residing on-campus with an assistance animal with the Associate Director of Residence Life.

Questions about Accommodations

For more information about disability accommodation requests, please visit the Disability Services website. Disability Services can be contacted at (808) 932-7623; TTY (808) 932-7002 or by email at

There is no guarantee that accommodations will be provided for the requested term if requests are received after stated priority deadlines. On-campus housing is limited; a student with a disability is not guaranteed accommodations if their request is received late.

Dining Accommodations

Housing’s dining team includes staff trained to develop a plan with residents who have food allergies and other special dietary needs. In situations where residents have documented disabilities and their dietary needs cannot be managed through a dining services’ plan, residents must also follow the process for requesting an accommodation.


Residents will be required to renew their request for housing accommodations with Disability Services each academic year or for each needed term (if not the full academic year) if accommodation is not granted for the students university tenure.

All residents are expected to abide by the responsibilities and policies set forth by University Housing. Policy found in the Terms of Assignment.