Summer Session

Student Resources

Academic Complaint

Unfortunately, there are times when a student may feel that an instructor has conducted a course poorly, graded unfairly, or discriminated against them in some way. The University takes these complaints very seriously and urges students to seek resolution to these problems as soon as they are apparent.

For students with an academic complaint, please refer to the policies of Academic Affairs. An academic complaint is the proper channel for a student who feels they have been treated unfairly in one of the following areas:

  • Freedom of Expression - Students may disagree with views and data presented in a course, but are still required to learn the content of that course.
  • Academic Evaluation - Evaluation of student performance shall be done without prejudice and in accordance with established standards.
  • Protection of Confidential Information - Faculty shall keep confidential information they acquire during the course of their work regarding a student's views, beliefs, and political associations. This information may not be shared without the consent of the student.

For students with a discrimination complaint, please refer to the Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Office. Contact the EEO/AA Office for more information or review the information available on the EEO/AA webpage.


Books and materials required for UH Hilo's Summer classes can be purchased from the UH Hilo Bookstore. More information, including bookstore hours can be found at: UH Hilo Bookstore.


Counseling Services are available to all students. The goal of Counseling Services is to provide assistance to individuals in defining and achieving personal, academic, and career goals. Services are available on a walk-in basis or by appointment. To schedule an appointment call (808) 932-7465 or visit the Counseling Services web page.

Disability Accommodation

UH Hilo recognizes its obligations to provide students with disabilities with equal access to its programs, services and activities. This publication is available in alternate format upon request. Contact the University Disability Service (ADA office) at (808) 932-7623 (voice) or (808) 932-7002 (TTY), (email) for disability access information and services or visit the UH Hilo Disability Services website.

Food Service

Information on food services over the summer session, please see: University Dining Services.


Instructors are required to post grades by 12:00pm on the Monday following the end of the session in which the course is taught. For exact dates, see the academic calendar.


Housing is available during the summer session. Application and details are available at University Housing.

If you need housing before these dates, please direct any questions to

If you do not want to live on campus, there are other places around campus that you can look at. See the list of available off-campus housing options.


For hours and information on the Edwin Mookini Library please visit the Mookini Library website.


Parking permits are not required for the summer session. For a map of parking areas and more information, please visit the Parking Office website.

Student Life Center

Student Life Center (SLC). The center provides students with recreational, fitness, and wellness opportunities. The center strives to be an open, safe, fun environment for student recreation, learning, and social interaction.

Transfer Credits

Summer Session students who are enrolled during the regular academic year at another institution are encouraged to secure advance approval for UH Hilo courses. UH Hilo is a fully accredited university, but decisions on transferability of coursework is at the discretion of the receiving institution.


Official transcripts can be ordered through the Office of the Registrar.

Please note that summer session grades will not appear on official transcripts until after the end of Summer Session 2. To ensure that your summer grades will appear on your transcripts, select the option "after final grades are entered for [Summer] semester" on the Transcript Request form.