The Department of Languages offers instruction in Chinese, Filipino (Tagalog), Japanese, Korean, and Spanish, as well as related courses in literature, culture, and language studies. Each program is comprehensive in approach, developing the functions of speaking, comprehension, reading, and writing and enhancing knowledge of the target area’s culture, history, society and the people.
The Department’s course offerings in languages can be found under the following course prefixes:
Hawaiian Language courses offered by Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language are listed under HAW and KHAW in the Catalog.
Faculty and Staff
Faculty and Staff Teaching CHNS Courses
- Feng, Jiren, Associate Professor, Chinese; Program Coordinator, Chinese Studies Certificate
Faculty and Staff Teaching FIL Courses
- Jubilado, Rodney C., Associate Professor, Filipino Studies; Program Coordinator, Filipino Studies Certificate
Faculty and Staff Teaching JPNS Courses
- Fukushima, Yoshiko, Professor, Performance Studies, Languages; Program Coordinator, Liberal Studies
- Hasegawa, Yoko, Lecturer
- Honda, Masafumi “Masa”, Chair & Associate Professor, Japanese, Languages & Linguistics
- Okuyama, Yoshiko, Professor, Japanese
Faculty and Staff Teaching LANG Courses
- Kim, Heasook, Lecturer