UH Hilo Student Medical Services
About Student Medical Services
Dr. Heather Hirata DNP will be on vacation from May 26 to June 10 , 2022. The UH Hilo Student Medical Services office will be open. Please call us at (808)932-7369 to make an appointment and we will assist you as soon as possible.
On this page:
- Important Notices
- Health Promotion and Education Virtual Programs
- Hours and Operations
- Student Insurance
- TB Clearance and Immunization Clinic
- HIV/Hepatitis C Testing
- Family Planning Health Care
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo's Student Medical Services (SMS) is located in Campus Center Room 212 above Campus Center Dining Hall. Office staff are available during business hours Monday-Friday, from 8am-12pm, and from 12pm - 4pm. Student Medical Services is closed for lunch 12-1pm and closed Saturdays, Sundays, and State holidays. In light of the on-going COVID-19 pandemic please call the clinic for an appointment. Same day and telehealth appointments are offered.
Students can call our office at (808) 932-7369 or at (808) 932-7364.
We offer many services to students for their health care needs including but not limited to:
General Telemedicine and In-person appointments:
- Health Advice
- First Aid
- Colds and Cough
- Insect Bites
- Bladder Infections
- Flu, COVID-19, and Strep Testing and Treatments
- Health Education and Counseling
- Sprains, Strains and Sport Injuries.
Family Planning Telemedicine and In-person appointments:
- The Management, Change, or Starting of Birth Control
- Birth Control Methods available:
- Depo shot,
- Mirena IUD,
- Kyleena IUD, and
- Paragard IUD
- Plan B
- STI Testing & Treatment
- Urinary Tract and Vaginal Infection Testing & Treatment
- Free Condoms
We appreciate your understanding of the adjustments in Student Medical Services operations while we all assist with helping to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19 here at University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. As a reminder please follow the CDC guidelines for personal hygiene and social distancing .
Health Clearance Requirement
If you are planning to enroll in only online courses, you can disregard the regular health clearance requirements/vaccines.
If you are planning to enroll in in-person or hybrid courses, you must submit all your health clearance documents to Student Medical Services before being able to register:
The State of Hawaii Department of Health (DOH) Hawaii Administrative Rules, Title 11 (Chapter 157 and 164.2) mandates health requirements be met in order to attend a post-secondary institution. New requirements are reflected on the Health Requirements Form effective July 1, 2020.
- Continuously enrolled (Fall to Spring or Spring to Fall) students transferring within the University of Hawaii system, who have had no break in enrollment, will NOT be required to resubmit health clearance information for registration purposes.
- Students changing home institutions, and Auto Admit recipients within the University of Hawaii system will NOT be required to resubmit health clearance information for registration purposes.
- Beginning with the Fall 2020 semester, students entering campus housing for the first time (21 years or younger) will need to submit the record of the Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine. Age exemptions will be given to students 22 years and older.
- Returning or graduate students who have taken a semester off will need to submit the new immunization requirements.
Send health clearance documents to Student Medical Service via UH Filedrop using the steps below:
- Save a copy of what you would like to upload on your device or jump drive
- Log in to the UH File Drop service
- Specify email@example.com as the recipient, click "Proceed"
- Use "Choose File" option to locate the saved file, click "Start Upload"
Please send all sensitive information using UH File Drop to recipient: firstname.lastname@example.org, Phone: (808) 932-7369, Fax: (808) 932-7368, or mail to UH Hilo Student Medical Services 200 W. Kawili Street, Campus Center Room 212, Hilo, HI 96720.
All Telehealth appointments require the completion of the Telehealth Informed Consent (PDF) and sent before your appointment using UH File Drop to recipient: email@example.com, Fax: 808-932-7368, or mail to UH Hilo Student Medical Services 200 W. Kawili street, Campus Center Room 212, Hilo, HI 96720.
About HW Holds
Having an HW hold makes students eligible to register for online classes only. To register for in-person or hybrid classes, you must submit all outstanding health clearances to the UH Hilo Student Medical Services Department. The Health Requirements Form (PDF) is available to ensure all clearances are completed. Please contact the Student Medical Services Department for questions about which clearances are still outstanding.
Health Promotion and Education Virtual Programs
Stay busy and focused with fun and relaxing virtual activities.
As we continue to work our way through the COVID-19 pandemic it’s important to stay busy and focused on your goals. While school activities and assignments may take up much of your time, it’s equally as important to carve out time for fun and relaxation. This helps the mind and body repair and rejuvenate allowing you to hit the books with added energy and clarity
The list below contains a few ideas to get you started.
- Stay Informed:
- Stall Talks: Distributed across campus, Stall Talks contain a variety of topics related to physical health, mental health, overall well-being, health screenings, relaxation tips and more. Updated monthly and archived online.
- Wellness News: The SHWP biweekly newsletter that’s jam packed with campus information, fun activities and much more. Check out the past issues and sign up to receive them via email.
- Sign up for SHWP communications: We’ll alert you to upcoming events, send you the biweekly newsletter and keep you connected with campus and virtual services here to help you be the best you can be!
Hours and Operations
Tb test and all Immunization will be by appointment only. Please call our office to schedule an appointment.
Please call us at (808) 932-7369 to make an appointment.
Tuesday & Thursday 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Closed for lunch 12pm - 1pm
Phone: (808) 932-7807 Fax: (808) 932-7808
Telehealth appointments are based on the needs of our patients. Please call Student Medical Services at (808) 932-7369 to make an appointment or if you have any questions.
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m; 1pm - 4pm. Closed 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. every day for lunch and closed Saturday, Sunday, and State holidays.
If you need medical care when the clinic is closed, please call
- Hilo Urgent Care Clinic , (808) 969-3051
- Keaau Urgent Care Clinic , (808) 966-7942
- Hilo Medical Center , (808) 932-3000
Hilo Medical Center, located about four miles from campus, provides 24-hour emergency care.
Our office will be closed in observance of the following holidays:
|Monday||January 17, 2022||Martin Luther King Day|
|Monday||February 21, 2022||Presidents' Day|
|Friday||March 25, 2022||Prince Jonah Kūhiō Kalanianaʻole Day|
|Friday||April 15, 2022||Good Friday|
|Monday||May 30, 2022||Memorial Day|
|Friday||June 10, 2022||King Kamehameha Day|
|Monday||July 4, 2022||Independence Day|
|Friday||Aug 19, 2022||Statehood Day|
All students are strongly encouraged to purchase medical insurance. The University of Hawaiʻi offers a student insurance plan. The Student Health Insurance information and application is available online at HMSA's student portal . You may also call HMSA at 1 (800) 620-4672.
Please be advised, if your health insurance requires a deductible or copay and is used for an appointment you will receive a bill.
TB Clearance and Immunization Clinic
TB screening and Immunization Clinic will be by appointment only. Please call our office to schedule an appointment and bring exact cash. (TB screening must be done before live vaccines.)
- TB risk assessment screenings are free.
- However if a TB skin test is needed please see the out of pocket cost below.
- TB skin test is $12.
- Two-step TB skin test is $24.
- Feel free to call our office to discuss the two-step process.
Also, the Dept. of Health provides free TB screening. Call the Dept. of Health at (808)974-6025 to schedule an appointment.
Please refer to the Immunizations page for more information and Immunization prices.
Important Notice to Post-Secondary School Students:
Please be advised the Hawaiʻi Department of Health has updated the required immunizations to attend all Post-secondary Institutions. The required health clearances are TB clearance, 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) and MMR titers are not acceptable, 2 Varicella (Chicken Pox) - Varicella Titer will not be accepted, 1 Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Acellular Pertussis) on or after the age of 10 and 1 Meningococcal (MCV) on or after the age of 16 and it is your first time dorming on campus and you are a student under 21.
HIV/Hepatitis C Testing
Free, confidential, HIV and Hepatitis C testing is conducted by Kumukahi Health & Wellness, testing is done off-site, at the Kumukahi offices - To schedule an appointment call (808)982-8800 or schedule a test HERE .
Free HIV, STD, Hepatitis B & C testing also available at Waiakea Health Center - (808) 974-4247
Family Planning Health Care
Our Nurse Practitioner, DR. Heather Hirata , DNP, MSN, BSN, APRN-Rx, FNP-BC, is available for Family Planning healthcare.
The Family Planning Health Clinic, located within the Student Medical Services office, offers pelvic exams, Pap smears, pregnancy testing, testing and treatment for sexually-transmitted diseases and urinary tract infections, contraception (birth control pills, Depo-Provera® shot, Ortho Evra patch, or free condoms), and the morning-after pill (must be taken within 5 days after unprotected intercourse), and counseling for the development of reproductive life plans.
Services for males include exams, STD testing and treatment, free condoms, and counseling for the development of reproductive life plans.
Appointments for Family Planning can be scheduled by calling (808) 932-7369.
All medical records at the SMS are strictly confidential and will not be released to anyone without your consent. You may view or print our Patient Rights and Responsibilities & Notice of Privacy Practices.