UH Hilo Student Medical Services
- TB test and all immunizations will be by appointment only. Please call our clinic to schedule an immunization requests and bring exact cash payment on the day of service.
Due to a shortage of medical equipment for clinic use, UH Hilo Student Medical Services is transitioning to a telephone health model - effective 03/20/2020 until further notice. UH Hilo Student Medical Services staff is available via telephone during business hours Monday – Friday, from 8 am to 4:30 pm. We are closed for lunch from 12pm - 1pm.
Students can call our office at (808) 932-7369 or at (808) 932-7364 for their health care needs including information, refills and telephone consultations. An assessment will be completed and recommendations will be made. Based on the phone assessment, some patients may be seen in clinic, while others will be referred to other resources.
This temporary change in operations may revert to normal operations sooner, if inventory of medical equipment is received. We appreciate your understanding of these temporary adjustments in operations of Student Medical Services while we all assist with helping to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19 here at University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. As a reminder please follow the CDC guidelines for personal hygiene and social distancing.
- Important Notice to Post-Secondary School Students
- Please be advised the Hawaiʻi Department of Health has updated the required immunizations to attend all Post-secondary Institutions. For Fall 2020, the required health clearances are TB clearance, 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) titers will no longer be acceptable, 2 Varicella (Chicken Pox), 1 Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Acellular Pertussis) and 1 Meningococcal (MCV) on or after the age of 16 and it is your first time dorming on campus and you are a student under 21.
For COVID-19 updates please refer to our resource page. COVID-19 Information. The page will be updated with any new warnings, advisories and guidance from UH, Hawai‘i Department of Health, U.S. State Department and the Centers for Disease Control.
On this page:
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo's Student Medical Services (SMS) is staffed by a nurse practitioner. Services include medical care, prescriptions, first aid, health education, TB risk assessments, tuberculin skin tests and immunizations. The Family Planning Clinic, located within the SMS, offers pelvic exams, contraceptive methods, and testing for pregnancy and sexually-transmitted diseases for men and women.
Tb test and all Immunization will be by appointment only. Please call our office to schedule an appointment and bring exact cash. **(No Walk-in medical visits unless an emergency.)
**Call for appointment
*Currently we are conducting TeleHealth appointments based on the needs of our patients. Please call us at 808-932-7369 or 808-932-7364 if you have any questions. **Monday 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Wednesday 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. every day for lunch
Please call us at (808) 932-7369 to make an appointment.
If you need medical care when the clinic is closed, please call
- Hilo Urgent Care Clinic , (808) 969-3051
- Kauka Express Urgent Care , (808) 981-1700
- Keaau Urgent Care Clinic , (808) 966-7942
- Hilo Medical Center , (808) 932-3000
Hilo Medical Center, located about four miles from campus, provides 24-hour emergency care.
Our office will be closed in observance of the following holidays:
|Wednesday||January 1, 2020||New Year's Day|
|Monday||January 20, 2020||Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day|
|January 27 until February 7, 2020||Provider unavailable at this time|
|Monday||February 17, 2020||Presidents' Day|
|Thursday||March 26, 2020||Prince Kuhio Day|
|Friday||April 10, 2020||Good Friday|
|Monday||May 25, 2020||Memorial Day|
|Thursday||June 11, 2020||King Kamehameha I Day|
|Friday||July 3, 2020||Independence Day|
|Friday||August 21, 2020||Statehood Day|
|Monday||September 7, 2020||Labor Day|
|Tuesday||November 3, 2020||General Elections|
|Wednesday||November 11, 2020||Veterans' Day|
|Thursday||November 26, 2020||Thanksgiving|
|Friday||December 25, 2020||Christmas|
All students are strongly encouraged to purchase medical insurance. The University of Hawaiʻi offers a student insurance plan. The Student Health Insurance information and application is available online at HMSA's student portal . You may also call HMSA at 1 (800) 620-4672.
Please be advised, if your health insurance requires a deductible or copay and is used for an appointment you will receive a bill.
TB Clearance and Immunization Clinic
TB screening and Immunization Clinic will be by appointment only. Please call our office to schedule an appointment and bring exact cash. (TB screening must be done before live vaccines.)
- TB risk assessment screenings are free.
- However if a TB skin test is needed please see the out of pocket cost below.
- TB skin test is $7.
- Two-step TB skin test is $14.
- Feel free to call our office to discuss the two-step process.
Also, the Dept. of Health provides free TB screening on Mondays from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. Their phone number is (808) 974-6025 to confirm location (75 Aupuni Street, Hilo State Building).
Please refer to the Immunization page for more information and Immunization prices.
HIV/Hepatitis C Testing
- Free, confidential, monthly HIV and Hepatitis C testing on campus - conducted by the HIV/AIDS Foundation, held in Campus Center Room 306 from 10:00am - 4:00pm on the following dates. For further information, please call Student Medical Services at (808) 932-7369.
2020 Testing Dates
- February 3
- March 2
- April 6
- May 4
- Free HIV, STD, Hepatitis B & C testing at Waiakea Health Center (STD also) - (808) 974-4247
- HIV/AIDS Foundation - (808) 982-8800
Family Planning Health Care
Our Nurse Practitioner, DR. Heather Hirata , DNP, MSN, BSN, APRN-Rx, FNP-BC, is available for Family Planning healthcare.
The Family Planning Health Clinic, located within the Student Medical Services office, offers pelvic exams, Pap smears, pregnancy testing, testing and treatment for sexually-transmitted diseases and urinary tract infections, contraception (birth control pills, Depo-Provera® shot, Ortho Evra patch, or free condoms), and the morning-after pill (must be taken within 5 days after unprotected intercourse), and counseling for the development of reproductive life plans.
Services for males include exams, STD testing and treatment, free condoms, and counseling for the development of reproductive life plans.
Appointments for Family Planning can be scheduled by calling (808) 932-7369.
All medical records at the SMS are strictly confidential and will not be released to anyone without your consent. You may view or print our Patient Rights and Responsibilities & Notice of Privacy Practices.