UH Hilo Student Medical Services
On this page:
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo's Student Medical Services (SMS) is located in Campus Center Room 212 above Campus Center Dining Hall. Office staff are available via telephone during business hours Monday-Friday, from 8am-4:30pm closed for lunch 12-1pm and closed Saturdays, Sundays, and State Holidays. In light of the on-going COVID-19 pandemic please call the clinic for an appointment. Same day and telehealth appointments are offered.
Students can call our office at (808) 932-7369 or at (808) 932-7364.
We offer many services to students for their health care needs including but not limited to:
General Telemedicine and In-person appointments:
- Health Advice
- First Aid
- Colds and Cough
- Insect Bites
- Bladder Infections
- Flu and Strep Testing and Treatments
- Health Education and Counseling
- Sprains, Strains and Sport Injuries.
Family Planning Telemedicine and In-person appointments:
- The Management, Change, or Starting of Birth Control
- Birth Control Methods available:
- Depo shot,
- Mirena IUD,
- Kyleena IUD, and
- Paragard IUD
- Plan B
- STI Testing & Treatment
- Urinary Tract and Vaginal Infection Testing & Treatment
- Free Condoms
We appreciate your understanding of the adjustments in Student Medical Services operations while we all assist with helping to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19 here at University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. As a reminder please follow the CDC guidelines for personal hygiene and social distancing..
Health Promotion and Education Virtual Programs
Stay busy and focused with fun and relaxing virtual activities.
As we continue to work our way through the COVID-19 pandemic it’s important to stay busy and focused on your goals. While school activities and assignments may take up much of your time, it’s equally as important to carve out time for fun and relaxation. This helps the mind and body repair and rejuvenate allowing you to hit the books with added energy and clarity
The list below contains a few ideas to get you started.
- Stay Informed:
- Stall Talks: Distributed across campus, Stall Talks contain a variety of topics related to physical health, mental health, overall well-being, health screenings, relaxation tips and more. Updated monthly and archived online.
- Wellness News: The SHWP biweekly newsletter that’s jam packed with campus information, fun activities and much more. Check out the past issues and sign up to receive them via email.
- Sign up for SHWP communications: We’ll alert you to upcoming events, send you the biweekly newsletter and keep you connected with campus and virtual services here to help you be the best you can be!
- Follow us on Instagram: @UHH_SHWP
- Stay Active:
- Get Crafty:
- Be Mindful:
- Check in on your Mental Health:
- Find Connection and support with Virtual Therapy Options:
Hours and Operations
Tb test and all Immunization will be by appointment only. Please call our office to schedule an appointment and bring exact cash.
Please call us at (808) 932-7369 to make an appointment.
Wednesday 8 am - 4:30 pm & Friday 8 am - 12:00 pm
Phone: (808) 932-7807
Fax: (808) 932-7808
Telehealth appointments are based on the needs of our patients. Please call us at (808) 932-7369 to make an appointment or if you have any questions.
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m closed 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. every day for lunch and closed Saturdays Sundays and State Holidays
If you need medical care when the clinic is closed, please call
- Hilo Urgent Care Clinic , (808) 969-3051
- Kauka Express Urgent Care , (808) 981-1700
- Keaau Urgent Care Clinic , (808) 966-7942
- Hilo Medical Center , (808) 932-3000
Hilo Medical Center, located about four miles from campus, provides 24-hour emergency care.
Our office will be closed in observance of the following holidays:
|Thursday||November 26, 2020||Thanksgiving|
|Friday||December 25, 2020||Christmas Day|
|Friday||January 1, 2021||New Year's Day|
|Monday||January 18, 2021||Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day|
|Monday||February 15, 2021||Presidents' Day|
|Friday||March 26, 2021||Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day|
|Friday||April 2, 2021||Good Friday|
|Monday||May 31, 2021||Memorial Day|
|Friday||June 11, 2021||King Kamehameha I Day|
|Monday||July 5, 2021||Independence Day|
|Friday||August 20, 2021||Statehood Day|
|Monday||September 6, 2021||Labor Day|
|Thursday||November 11, 2021||Veterans' Day|
|Thursday||November 25, 2021||Thanksgiving Day|
|Friday||December 24, 2021||Christmas Day|
All students are strongly encouraged to purchase medical insurance. The University of Hawaiʻi offers a student insurance plan. The Student Health Insurance information and application is available online at HMSA's student portal . You may also call HMSA at 1 (800) 620-4672.
Please be advised, if your health insurance requires a deductible or copay and is used for an appointment you will receive a bill.
TB Clearance and Immunization Clinic
TB screening and Immunization Clinic will be by appointment only. Please call our office to schedule an appointment and bring exact cash. (TB screening must be done before live vaccines.)
- TB risk assessment screenings are free.
- However if a TB skin test is needed please see the out of pocket cost below.
- TB skin test is $8.
- Two-step TB skin test is $16.
- Feel free to call our office to discuss the two-step process.
Also, the Dept. of Health provides free TB screening on Mondays from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. Their phone number is (808) 974-6025 to confirm location (75 Aupuni Street, Hilo State Building).
Please refer to the Immunizations page for more information and Immunization prices.
Important Notice to Post-Secondary School Students:
Please be advised the Hawaiʻi Department of Health has updated the required immunizations to attend all Post-secondary Institutions. For Fall 2020, the required health clearances are TB clearance, 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) and MMR titers will no longer be acceptable, 2 Varicella (Chicken Pox) or Varicella Titer result which has been signed off by your physician is acceptable, 1 Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Acellular Pertussis) on or after the age of 10 and 1 Meningococcal (MCV) on or after the age of 16 and it is your first time dorming on campus and you are a student under 21.
HIV/Hepatitis C Testing
- Free, confidential, monthly HIV and Hepatitis C testing- conducted by the HIV/AIDS Foundation, testing will be done off-site, at the HiHaf offices. For further information please refer to the HiHaf Schedule Fall 2020 - Spring 2021
2020 Testing Dates
- October 5
- November 2
- December 7
- February 1
- March 1
- April 5
- May 3
- Free HIV, STD, Hepatitis B & C testing at Waiakea Health Center (STD also) - (808) 974-4247
- HIV/AIDS Foundation - (808) 982-8800
Family Planning Health Care
Our Nurse Practitioner, DR. Heather Hirata , DNP, MSN, BSN, APRN-Rx, FNP-BC, is available for Family Planning healthcare.
The Family Planning Health Clinic, located within the Student Medical Services office, offers pelvic exams, Pap smears, pregnancy testing, testing and treatment for sexually-transmitted diseases and urinary tract infections, contraception (birth control pills, Depo-Provera® shot, Ortho Evra patch, or free condoms), and the morning-after pill (must be taken within 5 days after unprotected intercourse), and counseling for the development of reproductive life plans.
Services for males include exams, STD testing and treatment, free condoms, and counseling for the development of reproductive life plans.
Appointments for Family Planning can be scheduled by calling (808) 932-7369.
All medical records at the SMS are strictly confidential and will not be released to anyone without your consent. You may view or print our Patient Rights and Responsibilities & Notice of Privacy Practices.