UH Hilo Student Medical Services
On this page:
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo's Student Medical Services (SMS) is staffed by a nurse practitioner. Services include medical care, prescriptions, first aid, health education, tuberculin skin tests and immunizations. The Family Planning Clinic, located within the SMS, offers pelvic exams, contraceptive methods, and testing for pregnancy and sexually-transmitted diseases for men and women.
Hilo Medical Center, located about four miles from campus, provides 24-hour emergency care.
Please see the Excuse Note Policy.
From October 9-13, we will not be taking appointments.
- Shot Clinic: Monday and Wednesday mornings, 8 a.m.-12 p.m. (No Walk-in medical visits unless an emergency.)
- Pharmacy: Wednesday and Thursday mornings, 9 a.m.-12:00 p.m. and Wednesday afternoons, 1-4 p.m.
- Medical Clinic: Mondays and Wednesdays, 1 p.m.-4 p.m., Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Fridays, 8 a.m.-4 p.m., closed 12-1 p.m. every day for lunch.
Please call us at (808) 932-7369 to make an appointment.
If you need medical care when the clinic is closed, please call:
- Bay Clinic, (808) 969-1427
- Keaʻau Health Center, (808) 930-0400
- Kauka Express Urgent Care Clinic, (808) 981-1700
- Hilo Urgent Care Clinic, (808) 969-3051
- Hilo Medical Center, (808) 932-3000
Our office will be closed in observance of the following holidays:
- Monday, January 16, 2017 - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Monday, February 20, 2017 - Presidents' Day
- Monday, March 27, 2017 - Prince Kuhio Day
- Friday, April 14, 2017 - Good Friday
- Monday, May 29, 2017 - Memorial Day
- Monday, June 12, 2017 - King Kamehameha I Day
- Tuesday, July 4, 2017 - Independence Day
- Friday, August 18, 2017 - Statehood Day
- Monday, September 4, 2017 - Labor Day
- Friday, November 10, 2017 - Veterans' Day
- Thursday, November 23, 2017 - Thanksgiving
- Monday, December 25, 2017 - Christmas
Refill and appointments will not be available from 12/12/2017-01/02/2018. Medical Services staff will be available to take calls and to make appointments. Community Services include, the Urgent Care Centers in Hilo.
General Medical Care
Nurse Practitioner, Heather Hirata, APRN-Rx, FNP-BC, is available for general medical care.
- First-aid treatment for illness or injury
- TB tests
- Tetanus/Diphtheria (Td)
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Acellular Pertussis (Tdap)
- MMR (Measles-Mumps-Rubella)
- Hepatitis A (2 shot series)
- Hepatitis B (3 shot series)
- Gardasil (HPV vaccine)
- Flu vaccine
- Family Planning Health Care
- Pelvic Exams
- Pap Smears
- Birth Control
- Oral Contraceptives
- Depo-Provera Shots
- IUD (Mirena, Skyla, ParaGard)
- Nuva Ring
- Morning-after Pill (emergency contraception)
- Reproductive Life Plans
- Sexual Health
- STD testing (males and females)
- Pregnancy Testing
- Hepatitis B Immunization
- Free condoms are always available!
We have recently opened a clinic pharmacy run by the College of Pharmacy students and staff. Students may fill their non-controlled medications prescribed by our clinic on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and Wednesday afternoons from 1-4 p.m.
Phone: (808) 932-7807, Fax: (808) 932-7808
HIV/Hepatitis C Testing
- Free, confidential, monthly HIV testing on campus - conducted by the HIV/AIDS Foundation, held in the Campus Center room 306 from 10:00am - 4:00pm on the following dates. For information, please call the Student Medical Services -- (808) 932-7369.
- August 7, 2017
- September 11, 2017
- October 2, 2017
- November 6, 2017
- December 4, 2017
- Free HIV, STD, Hepatitis B & C testing at Waiakea Health Center (STD also) -- (808) 974-4247
- HIV/AIDS Foundation - (808) 982-8800
All students are strongly encouraged to purchase medical insurance. The University of Hawaiʻi offers a student insurance plan. The Student Health Insurance information and application is also available online at HMSA's student portal. You may also call HMSA at 1-800-620-4672.
Insurance Notice: If your health insurance is used for any visit at our Clinic and your insurance company requires a co-pay, you may be billed for the amount of the co-pay.
TB Skin Testing
TB skin testing is done every Monday morning from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Readings are done Wednesday mornings from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (TB tests must be done before your MMRs.)
Please bring your insurance card and $10 in case your insurance will not cover the test.
Also, the Dept. of Health provides free TB tests on Mondays from 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. Their phone number is (808) 974-6025 to confirm location (75 Aupuni Street, Hilo State Building).
Our shot clinic is held on Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. No appointment is needed. Immunizations are subject to availability. Prices listed are for uninsured and underinsured patients. Immunization prices have changed and are subject to change depending on costs.
Notice regarding DOH low-cost vaccines: As of July 2015, we have vaccines from the Department of Health for adults 19 years and older and have No Insurance for $15. The vaccines include meningococcal, HPV, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, MMR, and Tdap. When the flu vaccine becomes available, we will put a notice on this website.
Immunization Price Light
Those wanting to use insurance may be issued a prescription to take to an outside pharmacy.
|TB skin test||$10.00|
|Hepatitis B (cash or insurance that covers)||$65.00|
|Bexsero (Meningitis B)1||$175.00|
|Flu (when available from DOH)1||$15.00|
|HPV (uninsured; DOH supply)1||$15.00|
|HPV (Insurance Rx)1||$205.00|
Notice regarding MMR vaccine: UH Hilo Student Medical Services (Medical Services) has a limited supply of MMR vaccine (Measles, Mumps & Rubella). Hawaiʻi State Law requires all students to provide two documented MMR and a current TB clearance within the past year to attend classes at UH Hilo and HawCC. Students can fulfill this requirement by bringing their childhood records or any immunization records to Medical Services. Medical Services can also provide a prescription to have these immunizations completed at a local pharmacy and coverage is dependent on the student's insurance coverage. Please contact Medical Services at (808) 932-7369 if you have any questions. Read more about mandatory health requirements.
MMR Vaccinations: Cost is $75 per vaccine.Students with insurance will be provided with a prescription for MMR to be completed at a local pharmacy. Check with your insurance company to see if they will cover it. (For the list of local pharmacies, see the on the Forms link in the sidebar to the right.)
For women of child-bearing age, the MMR vaccine can only be administered under specified conditions. Please look at the list of conditions in the sidebar. (We accept cash, checks, and credit cards).
Family Planning Health Care
Our Nurse Practitioner, Heather Hirata, APRN-Rx, FNP-BC, is available for Family Planning healthcare.
The Family Planning Health Clinic, located within the Student Medical Services office, offers pelvic exams, Pap smears, pregnancy testing, testing and treatment for sexually-transmitted diseases and urinary tract infections, contraception (birth control pills, Depo-Provera® shot, Ortho Evra patch, or free condoms), and the morning-after pill (must be taken within 5 days after unprotected intercourse), and counseling for the development of reproductive life plans.
Services for males include exams, STD testing and treatment, free condoms, and counseling for the development of reproductive life plans.
Appointments for Family Planning can be scheduled by calling (808) 932-7369.
All medical records at the SMS are strictly confidential and will not be released to anyone without your consent. You may view or print our Patient Rights & Notice of Privacy Form by clicking on this link.