Student Medical Services

Health Requirements

Health Clearance Requirement

If you are planning to enroll in only online courses, you can disregard the regular health clearance requirements/vaccines.

If you are planning to enroll in in-person or hybrid courses, you must submit all your health clearance documents to Student Medical Services before being able to register:

The State of Hawaii Department of Health (DOH) Hawaii Administrative Rules, Title 11 (Chapter 157 and 164.2) mandates health requirements be met in order to attend a post-secondary institution. New requirements are reflected on the Health Requirements Form effective July 1, 2020.

  • Continuously enrolled (Fall to Spring or Spring to Fall) students transferring within the University of Hawaii system, who have had no break in enrollment, will NOT be required to resubmit health clearance information for registration purposes.
  • Students changing home institutions, and Auto Admit recipients within the University of Hawaii system will NOT be required to resubmit health clearance information for registration purposes.
  • Beginning with the Fall 2020 semester, students entering campus housing for the first time (21 years or younger) will need to submit the record of the Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine. Age exemptions will be given to students 22 years and older.
  • Returning or graduate students who have taken a semester off will need to submit the new immunization requirements.

Send health clearance documents to Student Medical Service via UH Filedrop using the steps below:

  • Save a copy of what you would like to upload on your device or jump drive
  • Log in to the UH File Drop service
  • Specify as the recipient, click "Proceed"
  • Use "Choose File" option to locate the saved file, click "Start Upload"

Please send all sensitive information using UH File Drop to recipient:, Phone: (808) 932-7369, Fax: (808) 932-7368, or mail to UH Hilo Student Medical Services 200 W. Kawili Street, Campus Center Room 212, Hilo, HI 96720.

About HW Holds

Having an HW hold makes students eligible to register for online classes only. To register for in-person or hybrid classes, you must submit all outstanding health clearances to the UH Hilo Student Medical Services Department. The Health Requirements Form (PDF) is available to ensure all clearances are completed. Please contact the Student Medical Services Department for questions about which clearances are still outstanding.

Mandatory Health Requirements

Please mail, fax or File Drop (Recipient email: our Health Requirements Form to our Clinic before the deadline.

Please do not email the form to us, for security reasons.

View a List of High Risk Countries for TB, as per the State of Hawaiʻi List Department of Health, Tuberculosis Control Program .

I. Tuberculosis Clearance: TB requirement must be met before attending classes.

  1. U.S. Students: A TB Risk Assessment and or a tuberculin test (PPD/Mantoux) is required for clearance. If positive, a chest x-ray done in the United States or by a U.S. licensed healthcare provider (M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N., or P.A.) within one year prior to enrollment is required.
  2. International Students including students from the Republic of Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau: All students must have a tuberculin skin test (PPD/Mantoux) performed in the U.S. or its Territories by a U.S. licensed healthcare provider (M.D., D.O., A.P.R.N., or P.A.) within one year prior to enrollment. If the TB test is given in a foreign country, the healthcare provider must document their license number and U.S. State from which it is issued. Upon arrival on campus, TB tests may be taken at Student Medical Services . A follow-up chest x-ray may be required if the TB skin test is positive.
  3. IGRAs (Interferon-Gamma Release Assays) Blood test, QFT-GIT (QuantiFeron-TB Gold-in-Tube test), and T-Spot TB test done in the United States are accepted for TB clearance.
  4. Returning/Transferring Students from a post-secondary Hawaiʻi school: Students who are re-enrolling at UH Hilo after an absence of a semester or more or transferring from another post-secondary school in Hawaiʻi, may be cleared on the basis of their original documentation. Submit your original TB and MMR record and check with Student Medical Services. Please be aware of the "New Health Requirements" which now includes two documented Varicella immunizations (Chicken pox) and Tdap (Tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis) given at age 10 years or older and after 2005. Those with a history of a positive TB test and a negative chest x-ray must complete the Tuberculosis Symptom Screening Form (PDF), linked on the Forms page.

II. Immunizations

You must provide documentation of:

  1. Two doses of live measles-containing vaccine, with at least one being an MMR is required, of students born after 1956. The first dose must have been given on or after 12 months-of-age and after January 1, 1968. Dose 2 must have been given at least a month after the first dose. Titers are not accepted.
  2. Two dose of Varicella (Chicken pox), exemption given to individuals born in U.S. before 1980 or those with a documented disease by a medical provider. Titers are not accepted.
  3. One dose of Tdap (Tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis), given at age 10 years or older and after 2005.
  4. MCV (Meningococcal Conjugate) needed if it is your first year at your campus, living in a dormitory/residence hall, needs to be administered on or after age 16 but by age 21. MCV Age exemption given to 22 years and older.

See our Clinic schedule for TB clearances and immunizations.

Health Insurance

A University of Hawaiʻi endorsed student health insurance plan is available for regular registered students taking six or more credits. To enroll, download the information and application from HMSA or call (800) 618-4672. You may also pickup a brochure in the Student Medical Services office. International students on non-immigrant visas must have proof of health insurance and present such proof to the international student advisor prior to registration.

Returning Students

If your TB test and immunization information are on file at Student Medical Services from previous enrollment no additional testing is required. Please call us at (808) 932-7369 to check or if there are any discrepancies that arise feel free to give us a call.