Mandatory Health Requirements
Please mail, fax or File Drop (Recipient email: email@example.com) our Mandatory Health Requirements form to our Clinic before the deadline. Please do not email it to us for security reasons. View a List of High Risk Countries for TB, as per the State of Hawaiʻi List Department of Health, Tuberculosis Control Program .
Mandatory Health Requirements
- Hawaiʻi State Law requires all students to submit TB (PPD-Mantoux) clearance (must be done within 12 months before first attending post-secondary school). Only TB tests and chest x-rays performed within the United States or its Territories will be accepted.
- International Students includes students from the Republic of Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau. These students must take their TB skin tests and chest x-rays in the U.S.
- Students born after 1956 are required to have two doses of Measles vaccine with at least one of the two being Measles-Mumps-Rubella vaccine.
- Read the instructions for the Mandatory Health Requirements form.
- Submit the completed Mandatory Health Requirements form. It can be completed by your healthcare provider or if you have your own personal immunization records, you can attach a copy. Health clearances must be submitted as soon as possible; failure to submit may result in disenrollment from classes. Please provide all documentation no later than July 1st for Fall semester and December 1st for Spring semester to allow adequate processing time before the start of the next semester.
See our Clinic schedule for TB testing and MMR vaccinations.
- Notice Regarding MMR Vaccine
- UH Hilo Student Medical Services (Medical Services) has a limited supply of MMR vaccine (Measles, Mumps & Rubella) and may at times have no stock on hand due to the Department of Health eliminating the Adult Immunization Program. Hawaii State Law requires all students to provide two documented MMR and a current TB clearance within the past year to attend classes at UH Hilo and HawCC. Students can fulfill this requirement by bringing their childhood records or any immunization records to Medical Services. Medical Services can also provide a prescription to have these immunizations completed at a local pharmacy and coverage is dependent on the student's insurance coverage. Please contact Medical Services at (808) 932-7369 if you have any questions.
A University of Hawaii endorsed student health insurance plan is available for regular registered students taking six or more credits. To enroll, download the information and application from HMSA or call (800) 618-4672. You may also pickup a brochure in the Student Medical Services office. International students on non-immigrant visas must have proof of health insurance and present such proof to the international student advisor prior to registration.
If your TB test and MMR immunization information are on file at the Student Medical Services from previous enrollment no additional testing is required. Call us at (808) 932-7369 if any discrepancies arise.