Student Medical Services Policy on Excuse Notes
- TB test and all immunizations will be by appointment only. Please call our clinic to schedule an immunization requests and bring exact cash payment on the day of service.
Due to a shortage of medical equipment for clinic use, UH Hilo Student Medical Services is transitioning to a telephone health model - effective 03/20/2020 until further notice. UH Hilo Student Medical Services staff is available via telephone during business hours Monday – Friday, from 8 am to 4:30 pm. We are closed for lunch from 12pm - 1pm.
Students can call our office at (808) 932-7369 or at (808) 932-7364 for their health care needs including information, refills and telephone consultations. An assessment will be completed and recommendations will be made. Based on the phone assessment, some patients may be seen in clinic, while others will be referred to other resources.
This temporary change in operations may revert to normal operations sooner, if inventory of medical equipment is received. We appreciate your understanding of these temporary adjustments in operations of Student Medical Services while we all assist with helping to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19 here at University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. As a reminder please follow the CDC guidelines for personal hygiene and social distancing.
- You must be seen within a reasonable time relative to the missed exam, project, class, conference, work, etc.
- Excuse notes are given at the discretion of the SMS staff based on their medical findings and professional assessments.
- Excuse notes are only given when care is received through SMS. Please acquire a note from the place of service when care is received elsewhere.
- The SMS staff does not have the authority to exempt students from class, exams, etc. Such final decisions will be made by the professor, faculty, department, etc.
An appointment is preferred, but if one is not available, you may be seen as a Walk-In. Please be advised, there may be a wait for Walk-In based services due to scheduled appointments.
Revised July 13, 2017.