College of Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management, Koleke Mahiʻai, Kālaiululāʻau, a Hoʻokele Kumuwaiwai Kūlohelohe

Student Opportunities

On this page:

Student Employment

CAFNRM students wanting to gain additional hands-on experience may apply for student employment at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Agricultural Farm Laboratory. Volunteer hours at Hilo veterinary clinics, the Humane Society, and the Panaʻewa Zoo provide valuable animal/veterinary experiences, and can also be used for credit in ANSC 490 Animal Science Internship (3) .

University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Chancellor’s Scholarship

The Chancellor's Scholarship is equivalent to the amount of tuition. The value of the scholarship, by the end of four years, is in excess of $15,000. To be eligible for this prestigious scholarship, applicants should be Hawaiʻi high school seniors who are ranked in the top 10 percent of their class and have a grade point average of at least 3.5. Applications are available on the Chancellor’s Scholarship website, or can be obtained by contacting the UH Hilo Admissions Office (1-800-897-HILO or (808) 932-7446). Application packets are also sent to high school counselors throughout the State of Hawaiʻi.

Student Equity, Excellence and Diversity (SEED) Scholarships

The SEED Office gives out over $1 million in scholarships per year. Simply submit only one application, and you will be considered for all scholarships for which you are eligible. More information and applications are available online at the SEED Scholarship page .

Hawaiʻi Florists and Shippers Association Endowed Scholarship - UH Hilo

The purpose of this fund is to assist full-time students who are Hawaiʻi residents and pursuing a degree in Agriculture at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo/College of Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management. This scholarship is part of the financial aid package administered by the UH Hilo Financial Aid Office.

Hilo Orchid Society Scholarship

A scholarship of $500 is available to a full-time resident, upper-division CAFNRM student who has an interest in horticulture, preferably orchid culture.

Application deadline is August 1st. Contact Karen Kimmerle, HOS President. Phone: (808) 965-7042, email:

National Tropical Botanical Garden Horticultural Internship Program

The National Tropical Botanical Garden offers an internship program of work-study experience to college level students interested in horticulture, botany, ethnobotany, conservation, or science-related fields. The course covers a wide range of innovative topics and provides a unique experience that will help guide students in making informed decisions regarding their future academic and career paths. Lodging, airport transfer and ground transportation are available. Interns are responsible for their own airfares to and from Lihuʻe, Kauaʻi, Hawaiʻi, plus meals (approximately $25 per day). Interns will each receive a weekly stipend equivalent to the U.S. minimum wage. Applications are available at the NTBG website .

The Garden Club of America

The Garden Club of America offers scholarships and fellowships for the study of Horticulture, Ornamental Horticulture, Tropical Botany, Ecological Restoration and much more. For an updated brochure, more application information, and for most applications check the Garden Club of America website .

Hawaiʻi Federation of Garden Clubs

The National Garden Clubs, Inc, of which the Hawaiʻi Federation of Garden Clubs is a member, offers scholarships of $3,500 each to upper level undergraduates in various fields of agriculture, horticulture or forestry.

In addition to the National scholarships, the Pacific Region (8 western states) of the National Garden Clubs offers a $1,000 scholarship. Applications are judged on academic record (40%), character (35%), financial need (20%) and recommendations (5%). More information is available at the CAFNRM Office or contact the Hawaiʻi State Scholarship Chairperson:

Dorothy J. Dale
95-107 Wekiu Place
Mililani, HI 96789
Phone: (808) 625-6778
Fax: (808) 623-3190.

Summer Internships and Experiential Opportunities

Contact Dr. Sharon Ziegler-Chong for further information on a variety of summer internships and experiential opportunities for students including the following:

PIPES: Pacific Internship Programs for Exploring Science

To be eligible for the programs, full-time students must be attending a college or university in the U.S. and pursuing, or intending to pursue, a bachelor's degree in science or agriculture. Selection is based on the application, academic record, skills, interests, successful interviews and how interests match with available internships.

  • University of Hawaiʻi Hawaiian Internship Program (UH-HIP) - This program links kamaʻāina undergraduates, with an emphasis on those of Native Hawaiian ancestry, to 10-week paid environmental internships with host agencies and organizations throughout the state of Hawaiʻi. Students will be responsible for completing a project that is specifically defined by the host agency, while also participating in daily agency activities. Housing is not provided, although efforts will be made to assign students to internships on their home islands, or where they can arrange with family or friends. This is a great opportunity for students to find summer employment in Hawaiʻi, while gaining valuable skills and experience in fields of conservation, resource management or environmental education.
  • Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU): Tropical Conservation Biology - This is a National Science Foundation funded 10-week research internship program based at the UH Hilo which is focused on gaining experience in tropical ecology, evolution and natural resources management. Interns work on mentored research projects with university and agency researchers. The goal of this program is to give those students who have limited or no research background the opportunity to gain invaluable experience in the exciting field of conservation biology. These are stipend-based, credit-bearing internships. Housing and some travel are provided. Native Pacific Islanders and other students from under-represented groups in science are encouraged to apply.
  • Micronesia and American Samoa Student Internship Program (MASSIP) - Internships are potentially available to students from Kosrae, Palau, the Marshall Islands, and American Samoa.

For more information, see the application website or contact the PIPES Office at or by phone at (808) 933-0705. Students can apply online or print an application on the PIPES website.

Another experiential opportunity for students is the National Park Service Environmental Education. Contact Dr. Sharon Ziegler-Chong for further information.

Dr. Sharon Ziegler-Chong, UH Sea Grant Extension Service Pacific Aquaculture and Coastal Resources Center (PACRC)
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
200 W. Kāwili St.
Hilo, HI 96720
Phone: (808) 933-0706
Fax: (808) 933-0704
Information available February.

For further information contact:

Dr. Hoku Pihana
Director, Keaholoa STEM Program
Natural Sciences Division
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
200 W. Kāwili St.
Hilo, HI 96720
Phone: (808) 932-7274
Fax: (808) 932-7295

Student Trainees

Part-time employment (may include weekends and holidays) as

  • Visitor Use Assistant - Student Trainee at Puʻuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park, GS-303-03
  • Park Guide - Student Trainee at Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park, GS-0090-03

Requirements include being at least a half-time student pursuing a degree, passing all course work with a 2.0 GPA (must provide proof of degree pursuing, grade point and registration) and ability to communicate orally and in writing. Trainee must wear the National Park Service uniform.

Pay includes 16.5% COLA; eligible to earn vacation and sick leave.

For specific requirements, duties and additional information, contact:

Terry Reveira, Chief of Interpretation
Puʻuhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park
Phone: (808) 328-2326 ext. 32
Applications are being taken until positions are filled.

Student Career Experience Program in the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

NRCS is an agency in the U.S. Department of Agriculture that works with local soil and water conservation districts to encourage and assist people in conserving the Nation's resources. The Student Career Experience Program offers paid, study-related employment to U.S. citizens who are seeking degrees in agriculture or natural resources (i.e,. Agronomy, Biology, Soil Science, Forestry) and civil engineering and is in good academic standing. Student may receive college credits. Career Experience students who have met the qualification requirements through education and experience are eligible to be converted non-competitively to a permanent position available in the U.S. within 120 calendar days of degree completion. For more information, call the Hilo Field Office at (808) 933-6957 or NRCS State Office at (808) 541-2600, ext. 107.

SCA Positions

The Student Conservation Association offers conservation volunteer and intern opportunities to high school and college students interested in serving our national parks & forests and historic & cultural resources.

  • Conservation Internships: 18 years and older; live and work with resource management professionals at natural and cultural sites nationwide; internships available throughout the year in all fields; terms from 3 to 12 months. Expenses paid, plus living allowance, travel grant.
  • Conservation Corps: 18 years and older; trained and supervised by SCA staff, Corps of 10 or more provide specialized conservation services in rustic, residential setting; service terms similar to Conservation Interns.

For more information and applications, see The Student Conservation Association website .

Epcot Science Internship Program

The Epcot Science Internship Program is designed to provide qualified college students with the opportunity to work in the unique growing areas of “The Land” pavilion in Walt Disney World, Florida. Allowance for relocation expenses provided. Minimum requirements are as follows:

  • College student or recent graduate (within one year of bachelors degree) with applicable background and/or major in agriculture, food crops, biology, horticulture, botany, biotechnology, biological engineering, entomology, aquaculture, plant science, or related field.
  • Phone or personal interview with a Walt Disney World Company representative and application (available on the internet) completed 4 to 12 months before desired start date. Representatives travel to the UH Hilo campus each spring and fall. The schedule is posted at the below website.
  • Strong verbal communication skills and the ability to interact positively with Walt Disney World guests and fellow employees.
  • Willingness and ability to adhere to Walt Disney World grooming standards
  • Reliable transportation and willingness to work on a flexible schedule..

Job descriptions and more detailed information are available at the Walt Disney World College Program website . Contact Les Frey for any further questions:

Les Frey
Student Coordinator
Walt Disney World, Epcot Science
2013 N. Avenue of the Stars
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0090
Telephone: (407) 560-4547

UH Hilo Environmental Career Resources

This is an online resource for undergraduate and graduate students interested in the environmental sciences. The Environmental Career Resources website has information on job resources, internship possibilities, funding resources, and resume and personal statement writing.

National Student Exchange (NSE)

The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo is a member of the National Student Exchange Program. Each year selected UH Hilo students attend one of the more than 170 colleges and universities in 48 states. This exchange enables students to pay in-state resident tuition fees. To make the most of this opportunity, advanced planning and advising are important. For more information, contact the NSE Coordinator, Office of Student Affairs at (808) 932-7465.

Study Abroad

Studying in another country offers a firsthand experience of other cultures and provides for the acquisition of valuable skills and expertise for an increasingly internationalized and interdependent world. The Study Abroad Advisor can assist in the selection of programs sponsored by UH Hilo as well as from programs sponsored by the University of Hawaiʻi system. In addition, UH Hilo students are eligible to participate in study abroad programs sponsored by participating campuses in the National Student Exchange Consortium. Contact the Study Abroad Advisor , Office of Student Affairs at (808) 932-7465.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo participates in this program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education and other western states. Through WUE, certain students who are not residents of Hawaiʻi may enroll at UH Hilo in designated programs, paying resident tuition plus 50 percent of that amount (plus other fees that are paid by all students). WUE students do not pay the higher charge for nonresident tuition. Enrollment at UH Hilo through the WUE Program is limited to incoming students only and restrictions may apply. For more information, please contact the Admissions Office , (808) 932-7446 or the WICHE Student Exchange Program, P.O. Drawer P, Boulder, Colorado 80301-9752, (303) 497-0210.