UH Hilo Strategic Planning Home
Aloha and welcome to the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo strategic planning website.
View the Strategic Plan Progress Dashboard on a separate page.
Visit the Action Plan Sponsor Resource Guide.
Download a printable action plan.
The University is now in the action planning stage, with our full strategic plan (below) and our draft action plan with dashboard (above). Our campus participated in an extensive information gathering process to help inform this new strategic plan. A listening tour, a series of conversations with faculty, staff, students, alumni, community members, and business partners, was conducted. The Pre-planning Evidence Report and the Seeds of Opportunity Strategic Planning Summit Report is available. While the plan was in development, we launched a strategic doing effort in order to launch projects and build relationships.
- Strategic Doing at UH Hilo
- Pre-planning Evidence Report
- Seeds of Opportunity Strategic Planning Summit
2021-2031 Strategic Plan: Papahana Hoʻolālā Hikiāloa
- 2021-2031 Strategic Plan Home
- What is Planning Success?
- Our Process and Journey
- Our Strategic Clarity
- Our Vision
- Strategic Thematic Goals to Realize Our Vision
- Action Plans
- Measuring and Evaluating Success
- Papa Wehewehe ʻŌlelo/Glossary
- Download the 2021-2031 UH Hilo Strategic Plan as a PDF
Question of the Month
- May 2020 Question: Please help identify pockets of excellence on UH Hilo's campus. What is it about that office, team, or program that makes it strong, effective, and impactful?
- April 2020 Question: Given the major changes across campus and in our community due to COVID-19, what is one thing that might help us build community while social distancing?
- March 2020 Question: What is one change we could somewhat easily make that would significantly improve the student experience?
- February 2020 Question: How do we move forward with technologies in a way that both increases access and enhances the face-to-face experience for students?
- January 2020 Question: Which stakeholder relationships are the most critical to work on over the next year? Why?
- December 2019 Question: How do we ensure that the career development and job readiness of our graduates is aligned not only with our programs but with regional economic needs, without narrowing the scope of the education we deliver?
- November 2019 Question: How might UH Hilo advance in a leadership role that helps strengthen and support K-12 education?
- October 2019 Question: How might we create a learning community that encourages collaboration and shared successes across departments, disciplines, offices, and with the broader community we serve?
- September 2019 Question: What does it mean to be a (or the) premier indigenous serving institution?
- May 2019 Question: As we move forward, what are measurable results that would indicate we are on track to making UH Hilo stronger? And, are there less quantifiable results we should focus on?
- April 2019 Question: What conversations, if begun today, could ripple out in ways that create new possibilities for the future of UH Hilo?
- March 2019 Question: What trends do you see emerging over the next five years that will have the greatest influence on UH Hilo's ability to be exceptional?
- February 2019 Question: What is the most important priority for UH Hilo to make progress on in the next year?
- January 2019 Question: What do you feel are the most promising areas in which to expand collaborations between UH Hilo and the Hilo community?
- December 2018 Question: What “breakthrough achievement” would you either love to help make happen or love to see happen at UH Hilo?
- November 2018 Question: What do you value most about UH Hilo? What must be preserved as UH Hilo moves into the future?
See the common threads uncovered as of April 20, 2020.
Listening Tour Session Schedule
|Session Participants||Date/Time/Location||Session Notes|
|CAS Division of Humanities||Oct. 31, 1:00 p.m., 108 Kanaka'ole Hall||Notes: Humanities|
|CAFNRM (2 sessions)||Nov. 2, 9:00 a.m. and Dec. 7, 9:00 a.m., Room 102 CAFNRM Bldg||Notes: CAFNRM|
|Mookini Library Staff||Nov. 7, 1:00 p.m., Library Staff Lounge||Notes: Library|
|Student-Athlete Advisory Committee||Nov. 16, 12:00 noon, Athletics Complex C (320C)||Notes: SAAC|
|Health and Wellness - Student Medical Services, Counseling Services, and Care Team||Nov. 16, 1:30 p.m., UCB 307 (Makai Wing)||Notes: Health and Wellness|
|Career and Academic Advising Center||Dec. 5, 1:30 p.m., E-214 Student Services Bldg||Notes: Advising Center|
|Center for Community Engagement||Jan. 14, 4:30 p.m., PB-5 Classroom||Notes: CCE|
|Campus Technology||Jan. 15, 2:00 p.m., Computing Center conference room||Notes: Campus Technology|
|CAS Division of Social Sciences - Session 1||Jan. 16, 12:00 noon, UCB 331||Notes: Soc. Sci. session 1|
|CAS Division of Social Sciences - Session 2||Jan. 17, 12:30 p.m., UCB 103||Notes: Soc. Sci. session 2|
|Kīpuka Native Hawaiian Student Center||Jan. 30, 1:00 p.m., Kīpuka small conference room, PB-12||Notes: Kīpuka Center staff|
|College of Business and Economics||Feb. 8, 3:00 p.m., CoBE Multi-Purpose Room 101||Notes: CoBE|
|Kīpuka Peer Mentors||Feb. 11, 3:00 p.m., Kīpuka, PB-12||Notes: Peer Mentors|
|CNHS Health Sciences Cluster||Feb. 19, 2:30 p.m., UCB 211||Notes: Health Sciences|
|CNHS CS/Math Cluster||Feb. 20, 1:00 p.m., College Hall conference room||Notes: CS/Math|
|CNHS Physical Sciences Cluster||Feb. 22, 1:00 p.m., Chemistry conference room||Notes: Physical Sciences|
|Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language||Feb. 25, 4:00 p.m., Haleʻōlelo admin meeting room||Notes: Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani|
|Graduate Council||Mar. 1, 2:00 p.m., CoBE second floor conference room||Notes: Graduate Council|
|CNHS Biology/Marine Science Cluster||Mar. 8, 2:00 p.m., Wentworth 14||Notes: Biology/Marine Science|
|College of Pharmacy Senior Faculty||Mar. 19, 2:00 p.m., LPLH-2||Notes: Pharmacy Senior Faculty|
|College of Pharmacy Faculty Senate officers and representatives||Mar. 20, 1:00 p.m., Annex conference room||Notes: Pharmacy Senate Officers|
|Pharmaceutical Sciences PhD Students||Mar. 21, 10:00 a.m., Pharmacy Modulars, Room 118/120||Notes: Pharm Sci PhD Students|
|College of Pharmacy Junior Faculty||Mar. 21, 11:45 a.m., LPLH-2||Notes: Pharmacy Junior Faculty|
|Budget and Business Offices||Mar. 27, 1:00 p.m., Chancellor's conference room||Notes: Business Offices|
|Global & Intercultural Education Cluster||Mar. 28, 1:00 p.m., Student Services Center W-201||Notes: Global & Intercultural Education|
|Tropical Conservation Biology and Environmental Science (TCBES) Graduate Program||Mar. 28, 3:00 p.m., Wentworth 14||Notes: TCBES|
|Distance Learning||Apr. 2, 2:00 p.m., Wentworth 14||Notes: Distance Learning|
|College of Pharmacy Staff||Apr. 3, 10:00 a.m., Annex Conference Room||Notes: Pharmacy Staff|
|Enrollment Services (2 sessions)||Apr. 4, 10:00 a.m., SSC W-201 and Apr. 15||Notes: Enrollment Services|
|UH Hilo Conservation Research Partnerships||April 15, 4:00 p.m., PB-5||Notes: Research Partners|
|UH Hilo Young Alumni||May 28, 5:00 p.m., UCB 331||Notes: Young Alumni/Alumnae|
|UH Hilo Mid-Career Alumni||May 29, 5:00 p.m., UCB 331||Notes: Mid-career Alumni/Alumnae|
|UH Hilo Legislative Ambassadors||May 30, noon, UCB 331||Notes: UHH Ambassadors|
|UH Hilo Retirees & Retired Alums (2 sessions)||May 30, 5:00 p.m., UCB 331||Notes: Retirees|
UH Hilo Strategic Plan 2011-2015
Download the 2011-2015 UH Hilo Strategic Plan (PDF).
The UH System Board of Regents approved UH Hilo's Strategic Plan for 2011-2015 at its meeting on January 19th 2012.
This plan established the guiding principles that the university would follow for the coming years to ensure that we allocated our time, attention and resources effectively and responsibly for the maximum benefit of those we serve at UH Hilo.
Visit our 2011-2015 Strategic Plan page for an overview of the 2011-2015 plan. Archived documents including pre-planning evidence and meeting notes are available to University of Hawaiʻi faculty and staff.