Be Prepared Before Arriving in Hilo
Now that you have decided to become a UH Hilo Vulcan, its time to prepare for a strong start for success. To help you have a smooth transition, make sure you completed all of the necessary steps listed below.
Submit your Intent-to-Enroll?
The national intent-to-enroll date is May 1st, but the Intent-to Enroll can be submitted at any time before or after this date. Earlier is better.
Please note that if your student is applying for financial aid he/she does not have to pay the $60 tuition deposit when submitting the intent.
When the Admissions Office receives the intent, a student record is created. This is important since this triggers a lot of important things to occur:
- Opens the gateway to the student's own personalized web portal, “ MyUH”.
- Allows the student to register for classes during the appropriate registration periods.
- Creates the student's own UH email account.
Activate your MyUH Account?
Through "MyUH" students are able to register for classes, view their unofficial transcripts, see their financial aid, utilize the free email service, review upcoming events and so much more.
To activate the account, students should visit MyUH Services.
Sign-up for Orientation?
We want you to be successful, so we strongly recommend that every student attends and actively participates in all sessions offered during orientation.
Parents are invited to also participate in the Parent and Family Orientation sessions.
Please be aware that these are two separate sign-ups.
To confirm your reserved spot at orientation, you must submit payment at the time of signing up online. You will receive an automatic email confirmation.
If you prefer to pay for orientation by check, money order, or cash, you must download and complete the registration form and mail it with your payment to:Business Office, UH Hilo
200 West Kāwili Street
Hilo, HI 96720.
Orientation fees are non-refundable, so please plan your attendance carefully.
Submit your Mandatory Health Requirements Form?
- Hawaiʻi State Law requires all students to submit TB (PPD-Mantoux) clearance (must be done within 12 months before first attending post-secondary school). Only TB tests and chest x-rays performed within the United States or its Territories will be accepted.
- Students born after 1956 are required to have two doses of Measles vaccine with at least one of the two being Measles-Mumps-Rubella vaccine.
- Submit the completed Mandatory Health Requirements form. The back page can be completed by your physician or if you have your own personal immunization records, you can submit a copy. Deadlines are July 1st for Fall semester and December 1st for Spring semester.
A HOLD will be placed on the student's account on July 15 if the requirements have not been submitted. TB tests ($3.00) are given at the Student Medical Services (SMS) office in the Campus Center, room 212 (see the SMS website for availability). MMR vaccinations are available for uninsured only ($5.00).
Take the Placement Exams?
Ensure that you get into all the classes you need by taking the necessary placement exams as early as possible, even upon acceptance.
Students entering UH Hilo with SAT scores do not have to take the English Writing Exam. Both the Math and Chemistry exams are online and can be taken from anywhere as long as there is internet access.