Making Your Travel Arrangements
When making your travel arrangements here are some dates and times to keep in mind...
Monday August 13, 2018
- International Students arrive - Free Shuttle Service from the Hilo International Airport (ITO) to campus.
Tuesday August 14, 2018
- Residence Halls open for students starting at 9:00 a.m.
- Domestic Students arrive - Free Shuttle Service from the Hilo International Airport (ITO) to campus.
Wednesday August 15, 2018
- Vulcan Orientation Starts! - Check in will be in the Campus Center Plaza.
- Registration for Orientation will be open from May 9 - August 1. Don't miss your chance to create various connections with students, faculty, and staff!
- We will be offering a Parent/ʻOhana Orientation. Vulcans - you'll need to invite your parent/ʻohana via email when you register.
Hawaiian Airlines Discount
Help UH Hilo Vulcan Athletics earn Hawaiian Miles. Book your reservations thru Hawaiian Airlines' Preferred Affiliate Program. You get the lowest available HawaiianAir.com web fares and continue to earn flight credits in your individual HawaiianMiles account! UH Hilo Vulcan Athletics earns one (1) HawaiianMile for every $1 spent on hawaiianair.com/affiliate!
Not only will you be helping the UH Hilo Vulcan Athletics, but you can also get 5% off on flights between the Mainland U.S. and Hawaii.
Here's all you have to do:
- Log on to www.hawaiianairlines.com/affiliate/.
- Input the code for the Vulcan program (PDF) you want to support. Tap LOG IN and continue to making your reservations.
- We'll see you in Hilo!
Hawaiian Airlines Contact Information:
U.S. & Canada Reservations
Daily Hours: 5:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. Hawaiʻi Standard Time (HST)
Airport - ITO
We suggest you fly into Hilo International Airport (ITO). While there is another major airport on the Big Island in Kona, it's a 2.5 hour drive to Hilo.
Hilo International Airport is serviced by the following Domestic and Inter-Island Airlines:
- Hawaiian Airlines
- United Airlines
Hotels around Hilo
There are a few hotels along Banyan drive which is about 2 minutes from the airport and about 5 minutes from campus. Please check these hotels for their rates. As an FYI, our airport shuttle service will not pick up at hotels.
If you plan on arriving in Hilo on a day that we're not offering Free Shuttle Service from the airport to campus, you have a few alternative transportation options.
Rental Car Companies
There seven rental car companies located at airport for you to choose from. Rental car offices are located on the ground level across the street opposite the Terminal.
- Alamo Rent-A-Car 1-800-462-5266
- Avis Rent-A-Car 1-800-331-1212
- Budget Rent-A-Car 1-800-527-0700
- Dollar Rent-A-Car 1-800-800-4000
- Hertz Rent-A-Car 1-800-654-3131
- National Rent-A-Car 1-888-868-6207
- Harper’s (808) 969-1478, 1-800-852-9993
- Enterprise (808) 934-0359
The following information is from the Hilo International Airport website as a guide to help you make transportation choices and are not guaranteed. They are subject to change at anytime. Please consult your taxi dispatcher or driver on arrival for current fares and information.
There are 17 taxi cab companies that currently service Hilo International Airport. There is a designated exclusive taxi lane for queuing in front of the Baggage Claim Area.
Approximate taxi rate is $3.00 flip + $.30 per 1/8th mile + $.30 per minute for waiting time + $1.00 per bag. Waiting time is charged when passengers need to make stops prior to reaching their final destination.
These are the approximate cost to the various locations within Hilo:
- UH Hilo Campus, $11.00 - $12.00
- Banyan Drive Hotels, $10.00 - $11.00
- Hilo Town, $12.00
- Hilo Pier, $12.00 - $13.00