Terms and Conditions for Financial Aid at UH Hilo
Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully as they describe the conditions you must meet and maintain in order to be eligible for Federal, State, Institutional and other types of financial aid.
Your financial aid awards are calculated based on the information you provided on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) along with other components such as yourCost of Attendance,enrollment status, grade level, outside resources,remaining aid eligibility, etc. at the time of your award offer.
- Enrollment Status
- In most cases, your initial awards will be based on full time enrollment (12 or more credits for Undergraduates and 6 or more credits for Graduate level or higher). You must notify our office in writing if you plan on attending part time as this may impact the amount of aid you are eligible for. Your enrollment at the end of the add/drop period is your enrollment for that term. Aid will be adjusted accordingly and will not be adjusted for classes added or dropped thereafter (except for complete withdrawal).
- Withdrawing from classes
Withdrawing may have a negative impact to your financial aid eligibility and could result in you owing/returning aid already disbursed on your behalf. We advise you to consult with a Financial Aid Professional before withdrawing from classes. Please note that if you do not earn any credits (you receive all ‘F’s, ‘NC’s, etc.), you are considered Unofficially Withdrawn. In this case, your awards will be adjusted according to your last date of class attendance which could result in you owing money to UH Hilo.
- Concurrent Enrollment
- Please be aware that courses at another institution (including UH System schools) may not count toward your financial aid enrollment. A minimum of six credits at UH Hilo is required along with the Prior Authorization for Transfer Credit for Financial Aid form (approved by an Academic Advisor).
- Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
- All financial aid recipients must make satisfactory academic progress toward their educational objectives. This is defined as maintaining a 2.0 cumulative GPA for UG students (3.0 for GR students), keeping pace which means completing a minimum of 75% of all attempted credits at UH Hilo and not exceeding the normal completion time for your degree program.
- Other Resources
- You must notify the Financial Aid Office of funding you receive in addition to the awards listed under Financial Aid on your MyUH Portal. This may reduce the amount and/or types of financial aid you are eligible for. These include scholarships and resources from Hawaii Community Foundation, Kamehameha Schools, Institutional Stipends, etc.
- Award Disbursement and Refund
- Your financial aid awards from UH Hilo will be disbursed no sooner than 10 days before your first day of class providing all requirements are completed. It will be applied to any balance owed to UH Hilo for that term (tuition, fees, room and board, etc.) then any remaining funds will be issued to you in the form of a refund via eRefund or paper check mailed to your mailing address. This process can take up to 5-7 business days.
By accepting your awards you confirm that you have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions for Financial Aid at UH Hilo. You also confirm that you are aware of additional financial aid information posted on the UH Hilo Financial Aid website. For information on Federal Student Aid programs and general requirements, go to https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/