Financial Aid

Course Program of Study

What is Course Program of Study (CPoS)?

Federal regulations require students receiving federal financial aid (Pell and FSEOG grants, Direct Loans, Work Study) be enrolled in classes that are required to complete their official program of study (major) that is on file with the Office of the Registrar. The Financial Aid Office has a new process in place beginning in the Fall 2021 semester to ensure compliance with this regulation.

Current financial aid students will be notified by email if they are enrolled in a class that does not count towards their enrollment status for federal financial aid purposes. Enrolling in classes not required for your program or “not in plan” or “non-applicable” is allowable, however, those classes may not count towards your enrollment status for federal financial aid purposes. This means your federal aid could be reduced or you could become ineligible for federal aid such as Pell grant, FSEOG, Federal Work Study and Direct Loans.

We encourage you to review the courses you are enrolled in by viewing your STAR Academic Essentials and GPS Registration. In addition, please review these FAQ’s that include a list of steps to check your classes to make sure they count towards your program of study.

Frequently Asked Questions

What steps should I take to check to see if I am enrolled in classes needed for my degree?

  1. Check your program of study (major) in STAR to make sure it is accurate. If not, change your major at the Office of the Registrar.

  2. Check the GPS Registration tab in STAR. Classes you are enrolled in that indicate “not in plan” or “non-applicable” will likely not count for federal financial aid.

    Not in Plan

  3. Check the GPS registration tab in STAR. If you are enrolled in at least 12 credits that count toward your program (major), you meet the federal financial aid requirement of full-time enrollment and no action is required.

  4. If you have discussed course substitutions with your advisor and are enrolled in a course that has not been moved into STAR as a substitution, contact your Academic Advisor.

  5. If you are enrolled in any other courses that are not counting toward your program of study but believe they should be, please discuss this with your Academic Advisor.

  6. If you need assistance determining how your federal financial aid eligibility may be affected by courses that do not count in your program of study (major), please contact the Financial Aid Office.

What do I need to do if I’m notified by financial aid that I have a course not counting for federal financial aid?

You should review the classes your are enrolled in using the steps listed above. Review how enrollment status affects financial aid. If you have questions, contact the Financial Aid Office.

What if I am enrolled in a class or classes that do not count for my program but I still want to take them?

You can take classes that do not count for your program, however, you might get less federal financial aid if you do not have at least 12 credits that do count toward your program of study. Please be aware that these classes, although not required will count for Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Do elective classes count for federal financial aid enrollment?

Possibly. If your program allows for electives and you need the additional credits to complete degree requirements, then electives will count for federal financial aid enrollment. If you have already completed enough electives, then additional electives would not count.

What happens if I change my major?

Any courses that you have already taken must be considered towards your new major. Any remaining courses needed to complete the new major should count as part of your federal financial aid enrollment. A major change must be processed by the Office of the Registrar before financial aid can consider a new major for classes that count for federal financial aid

Can I add and/or drop classes to change my federal financial aid enrollment status?

Yes. But consider consulting with the Financial Aid Office and your Academic Advisor before making changes to your schedule.

What if my Academic Advisor is not available during the Summer?

If your advisor is not available during the summer, please refer to the Advising Points of Contact page to see whom your CPoS inquiries should be referred to.

Are there dates or deadlines I need to be aware of related to Course Program of Study?

Yes. For students who have already been awarded aid, we will continue to evaluate the courses you are enrolled in for federal financial aid enrollment until the Last Day to Drop A Class Online without a “W”. On that date, the classes you are enrolled in are “frozen” for financial aid purposes. For students who are awarded after that date, your courses will be evaluated at the time of awarding aid.