The application process is used to inform the PIPES staff of your skills, background and interests. Please be thorough in answering the essay questions. Contact us if you have any questions.
The application process consists of four parts:
Application Review, review of application packet by PIPES staff
1st Interview, applicant interview w/ PIPES staff
2nd Interview, applicant interview w/ potential hosting mentor
Selection, acceptance into the program
Applications for the 2020 Pacific Internship Programs for Exploring Science (PIPES) will be open from November 1, 2019 to January 31, 2020.
- Application review period: February 1 - 29, 2020
- Interview period: March 1 to April 3, 2020
- Final selection period: April 13 - 24, 2020
- Internship period: June 1 - August 7, 2020
Please review Program Eligibility.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure all materials are submitted by the program deadline.
Step 1: Online Application Form
Start with the online application.
- A message will display after you've successfully submitted your online application.
Step 2: Additional Application Materials
In addition to completing the PIPES Online Application, the following materials must be submitted to the PIPES Office by fax, mail or email. All application materials must be received to be considered for the program.
- Essay Response: Write an that addresses each of the following (maximum 2 pages, double-spaced):
- Describe a person, place, or experience that has influenced your interests and pursuit of conservation science and/or natural resource management in your local/regional community.
- How would you articulate your commitment to the protection and conservation of natural resources in the Pacific? or How have you demonstrated your commitment to the protection and conservation of natural resources in the Pacific?
- How does your participation in PIPES support your academic and career goals?
- Resume: Please send a current resume that includes the following information:
- Current and past work experience
- Related volunteer experience
- Education and course work experience related to environmental topics
- Past awards or honors
- Related hobbies (i.e. free diving, hiking, etc.)
- Faculty Recommendation Forms (PDF): Two (2) completed Faculty Recommendation Forms are required. Fill out the top portion of the Faculty Recommendation Forms before giving to your references. It is your responsibility that these are submitted by the deadline.
- Transcript(s): You must submit a copy of your latest transcript. Unofficial transcripts are accepted.
- For Freshman Applicants - please submit a copy of your high school transcript if you have completed less than two semesters (or three quarters) of college.
- For Transfer Applicants - please also submit transcripts from your previous institution(s).
Where to Submit
Additional application materials must be submitted to the PIPES Office.
All application materials must be received to be considered for the program.
You may mail, fax or email your application materials to:
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
200 W. Kāwili St.
Hilo, HI 96720
Fax: (808) 932-7940
Questions? Call us at (808) 932-7984 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.