The application process is used to inform the PIPES Selection Committee about your background, your interests, and your skills. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Upon review of your completed application and materials, you will be notified of your application status. If you are selected as a semifinalist, a personal interview will be conducted by the PIPES Selection Committee. Note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure all materials are submitted by the program deadline.
Application for the 2019 Pacific Internship Programs for Exploring Science (PIPES) is now closed.
Mahalo nui loa for your interest in the program. The PIPES Staff looks forward to reading all submitted materials.
- December 3rd - Application opens
- February 16th - Last day to submit all application materials
- March 6th - Interview invitations sent to semi-finalists
- March/April - Interviews
- April 24th - 2019 selections finalized, participants notified
- May 28th - Start of 2019 program
Please review Program Eligibility.
What to Submit
Step 1: Online Application Form
Start with the online application.
- A message will display after you've successfully submitted your online application.
Step 2: Additional Application Materials
In addition to completing the PIPES Online Application, the following materials must be submitted to the PIPES Office by fax, mail or email. All application materials must be received to be considered for the program.
- Essay Response: Write a statement that addresses each of the following:
- Describe a person, place, or experience that has influenced your interests and pursuit of conservation science and/or natural resource management in your local/regional community.
- How would you articulate your commitment to the protection and conservation of natural resources in the Pacific? or How have you demonstrated your commitment to the protection and conservation of natural resources in the Pacific?
- How does your participation in the PIPES support your academic and career goals?
- Let us know why you feel you are particularly qualified for this program?
- Resume: Please send a current resume that includes the following information:
- Current and past work experience
- Related volunteer experience
- Education and course work experience related to environmental topics
- Past awards or honors
- Related hobbies (i.e. free diving, hiking, etc.)
- Faculty Recommendation Forms (PDF): Two (2) completed Faculty Recommendation Forms are required. Fill out the top portion of the Faculty Recommendation Forms before giving to your references. It is your responsibility that these are submitted by the deadline.
- Transcript(s): You must submit a copy of your latest transcript. Unofficial transcripts are accepted.
- For Freshman Applicants - please submit a copy of your high school transcript if you have completed less than two semesters (or three quarters) of college.
- For Transfer Applicants - please also submit transcripts from your previous institution(s).
Where to Submit
Additional application materials must be submitted to the PIPES Office.
All application materials must be received to be considered for the program.
You may mail, fax or email your application materials to:
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
200 W. Kāwili St.
Hilo, HI 96720
Fax: (808) 932-7940
Questions? Call us at (808) 932-7984 or email us at email@example.com.