Our Summer 2021 program will run from June 1 - August 6, 2021.
Please read instructions carefully and follow the steps below. It is an applicant's responsibility to ensure all documents are submitted on time. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Good luck and we look forward to receiving your applications! Applications for the 2020 Pacific Internship Programs for Exploring Science (PIPES) will be open from November 2, 2020 - January 31, 2021.
Updated eligibility requirements for 2021 (posted 1/28/2021): Application deadline extended to February 12, 2021
Updated eligibility requirements for 2021 (posted 11/17/2020):
In response to COVID-19, our program has suspended our acceptance of applicants from outside of Hawaiʻi. Only students from Hawaiʻi or currently residing in Hawaiʻi will be eligible to participate in our 2021 summer program.
Additionally, given the current COVID-19 situation, we are planning to run a modified program focused on hybrid (remote and in-person) internship opportunities, as allowed by national, state and county orders and University guidelines.
Step 1: Complete online application:
Start with the online application.
- A message will display after you've successfully submitted your online application.
Step 2: Additional documents to submit:
Important: All documents must be saved in pdf format and sent via email, mail or fax. If you are emailing documents, please include all documents as attachments in a single email. Subject line must include the following format (Last Name_First Name_PIPESApp, i.e. Jones_Lisa_PIPESApp). This does not include recommendation letters as those will be sent directly from faculty.
1. Two (2) Faculty Recommendation Forms
Allow your recommenders at least 2-3 weeks to complete. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure these are submitted on time. Please plan accordingly.
2. College Transcript(s)
Unofficial transcripts are accepted.
- For Freshman Applicants - Also submit a copy of your high school transcripts if you have completed less than two semesters of college.
- For Transfer Applicants - Also submit transcripts from your previous institution(s) if you have completed less than two semesters at your current college or institution.
Your resume must include the following information:
- education and course work related to environmental topics
- current and past work experience
- related volunteer experience
- related hobbies (i.e. hiking, fishing, hunting, swimming, etc.)
4. Essay Questions
Write a response to the following questions. Be specific in identifying the answers to each question. (Maximum 2 pages total, double-spaced, 11pt font, Calibri):
- Question 1
- Describe a person, place or experience that has influenced your interests and pursuit of conservation research, natural resource management and environmental education.
- Question 2
- How do you plan to use the skills and knowledge gained through participating in PIPES to support your professional and personal goals?
- Question 3
- Where do you see yourself in the next 3-5 years? What do you see yourself doing in the next 3-5 years?
Step 3: Email, mail or fax additional documents to:
Mail: PIPES, University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, 200 W. Kāwili St. , Hilo, HI, 96720
Fax: (808) 932-7940
Keep an eye out for our emails, which will include next steps to take in the application process. Once you've completed your application, you can expect to hear from us by early March 2021. Final selections will be made by the end of April 2021.
Questions/concerns? Contact program coordinator, Mina Viritua Jr at (808) 932-7984 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mahalo!