Please read instructions carefully and follow the steps below. It is an applicant's responsibility to ensure all documents are submitted on time. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Good luck and we look forward to receiving your applications! Applications for the 2020 Pacific Internship Programs for Exploring Science (PIPES) will be open from November 1, 2019 - January 31, 2020.
Step 1: Complete online application:
Start with the online application.
- A message will display after you've successfully submitted your online application.
Step 2: Additional documents to submit:
***Important: All documents must be saved in pdf format and sent via email, mail or fax. If you are emailing documents, please include all documents as attachments in a single email. Subject line must include the following format (Last Name_First Name_PIPESApp, i.e. Jones_Lisa_PIPESApp).
1. Two (2) Faculty Recommendation Forms
Allow your recommenders at least 2-3 weeks to complete. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure these are submitted on time. Please plan accordingly.
Unofficial transcripts are accepted and must include classes for the Spring 2020 semester.
- For Freshman Applicants - submit a copy of your high school transcripts if you have completed less than two semesters of college.
- For Transfer Applicants - submit transcripts from your previous institution(s) if you have completed less than two semesters at your current college or institution.
Your resume must include the following information:
- education and course work related to environmental topics
- current and past work experience
- related volunteer experience
- related hobbies (i.e. hiking, fishing, hunting, swimming, etc.)
4. Essay Questions
Write a response to the following questions. Be specific in identifying the answers to each question. (Maximum 2 pages total, double-spaced, 11pt font, Calibri):
- Question 1: Describe a person, place or experience that has influenced your interests and pursuit of conservation research, natural resource management and environmental education.
- Question 2: How do you plan to use the skills and knowledge gained through participating in PIPES to support your professional and personal goals?
- Question 3: Where do you see yourself in the next 3-5 years? What do you see yourself doing in the next 3-5 years?
Step 3: Email, mail or fax additional documents to:
Mail: PIPES, University of Hawai'i at Hilo, 200 W. Kāwili St. , Hilo, HI, 96720
Fax: (808) 932-7940
Final selections will be made by mid-April, 2020. Be sure to check emails consistently.
Questions? Contact program coordinators Linnea Heu or Cherie Kauahi at (808) 932-7984 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.