Our online application for the summer 2023 will be opening in late Fall. Please check back in November for details regarding our 2023 program.
Step 1: Complete online application
Start with the online application.
- A message will display after you've successfully submitted your online application.
Step 2: Additional documents to submit
Important: All documents must be saved in pdf format and sent via email, mail or fax. If you are emailing documents, please include all documents as attachments in a single email. Subject line must include the following format (Last Name_First Name_PIPESApp, i.e. Jones_Lisa_PIPESApp). This does not include recommendation letters as those will be sent directly from faculty.
1. Two (2) Faculty Recommendation Forms
Allow your recommenders at least 2-3 weeks to complete. It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure these are submitted on time. Please plan accordingly.
2. College Transcript(s)
Unofficial transcripts are accepted.
- For Freshman Applicants - Also submit a copy of your high school transcripts if you have completed less than two semesters of college.
- For Transfer Applicants - Also submit transcripts from your previous institution(s) if you have completed less than two semesters at your current college or institution.
Your resume must include the following information:
- Education and course work related to environmental topics
- Current and past work experience
- Related volunteer experience
- Related hobbies (i.e. hiking, fishing, hunting, swimming, etc.)
4. Essay Questions
Write a response to the following questions. Be specific in identifying the answers to each question. (Maximum 2 pages total, double-spaced, 11pt font, Calibri):
- Question 1
- Describe a person, place or experience that has influenced your interests and pursuit of conservation research, natural resource management and environmental education.
- Question 2
- How do you plan to use the skills and knowledge gained through participating in PIPES to support your professional and personal goals?
- Question 3
- Where do you see yourself in the next 3-5 years? What do you see yourself doing in the next 3-5 years?
Step 3: Email or mail your additional documents to:
Mail: PIPES, University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, 200 W. Kāwili St. , Hilo, HI, 96720
Once you’ve completed your application (online application submitted AND documents received), you can expect to hear from us by late February 2022. Please check your email regularly for notifications from the program. Final selections will be made by the end of April 2022.
Questions/concerns? Contact program coordinator, Mina Viritua Jr at (808) 932-7984 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mahalo!