Our online application for the summer 2024 will be opening on the Hilo Moon of Makaliʻi (December 13th, 2023)!
On this page:
This online application is 3-step, which are outlined below. Please do not rush! Allow yourself enough time to complete the application thoroughly. If you have any questions please contact us via e-mail or phone. The application, essay questions, and supplementary materials, are all saveable so you are able to go back to one or all prior to submission.
Step 1: Complete online application
Once you submit this application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail which contains two links for the next steps: essay questions & supplementary materials. Keep this e-mail handy to access the next steps (2 & 3) in the application process.
Step 2: Answer short essay questions
Use the link for short answer questions found in your confirmation e-mail. You are only required to answer one question per Moʻo ʻĀina component (Naʻau, ʻĀina, Kaiāulu, and Kaʻao).
Step 3: Upload supplementary materials
Use the link for uploading supplementary materials found in your confirmation e-mail.
Important: All documents must be saved in pdf format and include your last name and document description (i.e.- Needham, Resume).
1. Two (2) Recommendation Forms
Recommendation letters are submitted to PIPES directly from the recommenders, by your input of the recommendersʻ e-mail in the online application. Allow your recommenders at least 2-3 weeks to complete. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure these are submitted on time. Please plan accordingly. Recommendation Form (PDF)
2. College Transcript(s)
Unofficial transcripts are acceptable.
- For Freshman Applicants - Also submit a copy of your high school transcripts if you have completed less than two semesters of college.
- For Transfer Applicants - Also submit transcripts from your previous institution(s) if you have completed less than two semesters at your current college or institution.
Your resume must include the following information:
- Education and course work related to environmental topics
- Current and past work experience
- Related volunteer experience
- Related interest (i.e. hiking, fishing, hunting, swimming, etc.)
PIPES Application Process
1. 1st Round of Selections: After applications close, PIPES staff will review and process all applications and supplementary documents. Selections will be made on who will continue on to interview with PIPES staff and who will not. Everyone will be notified of the decision.
2. Interview w/ PIPES Staff: Interns will schedule a time interview with PIPES staff. This is a time for our staff to get to know you and for you to get to know us! We will ask you some questions and share a little bit about what PIPES will be like. These interviews will be approximately 45 minutes.
3. 2nd Round of Selections: After all interviews are complete, PIPES staff will review and process the interviews. Selections will be made on who will continue on to the interviews with potential mentors. *Note if selected this does not guarantee a spot in the cohort.
4. Interview w/ Potential Mentors: PIPES staff will pair interns with 2-3 potential mentors. Interviews will be conducted with a time the intern and mentor choose. Interns must interview with each potential mentor chosen for them.
5. Acceptance & Final Placements: After all interviews are conducted between intern and potential mentors, each will send their top choices to PIPES staff. PIPES staff will make the final selections and pairings for internships, and will send out final acceptance or rejection correspondence.
2024 PIPES Application Timeline
- February 8th
- Intern Applications Close (completed by student applicants)
- February 1st to 16th
- PIPES reviews intern applicants/supplementary docs
- February 16th
- PIPES make first cut and schedule interviews with interns
- February 20th to March 8th(tentative)
- PIPES conducts interviews with students
- March 8th to 18th (tentative)
- Second cut. PIPES provides mentors with potential match(es) to interview. Interns will reach out to schedule an interview.
- March 20th to April 5th(tentative)
- Mentors conduct interviews with semi-finalists selected by PIPES
- April 3rd to 5th
- Mentors provide feedback from interviews
- April 10th to 17th
- Finalize placements for the cohort and send out acceptance documents
- May 1st
- Finalize documents, finalize supplies.
If you have any questions or concerns, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Mahalo nui!