Interim Chancellor's Message
Welcome to the website of the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo. Here you will find information about the wide range of liberal arts baccalaureate and professional programs offered as well as several graduate and doctoral programs.
UH Hilo will prepare you well to make lifelong contributions to your community, the state, and the world as you build a prosperous future. Classwork, extracurricular activities, and recreational time at UH Hilo is greatly enriched by our diverse university community of local, mainland and international students, all living and learning together in a harmonious and safe environment. The surrounding island community, rooted in a history of agriculture, is one of the most ethnically diverse in the country.
The island landscape, too, is extraordinarily diverse with snow-capped mountains, windy deserts, lush rainforests, endangered coral reefs, protective estuaries, active volcanoes and more. Most importantly, we live on an island home of our indigenous host culture, and everything we do is infused with Native Hawaiian values of cultural knowledge and language.
This unique diversity in culture and geography makes Hawaiʻi Island the perfect “living laboratory” for students at UH Hilo.
- Nursing, psychology, teaching, pharmaceutical sciences and other key programs are contributing greatly to the health and well-being of our island people and communities.
- Interdisciplinary STEM programs—astronomy, math, chemistry, biology, marine science and more—produce graduates who are flexible in developing a professional life on our island home.
- Humanities disciplines are in sync with our local community’s need for professionals in culture and the arts, language and communications.
- Agricultural programs are preparing agriculturalists to address the pressing need for our state to move toward sustainable food systems.
- The business and economics program offers one of only two AACSB-accredited business administration degree programs in the state of Hawaiʻi, preparing entrepreneurs to lead us into the future.
In addition to classroom study, there are many opportunities for internships, collaborative research with professors, and community outreach. These are the kinds of experiences that enhance professional prospects.
On behalf of the UH Hilo ʻohana (family), I invite you to join our campus community where you can achieve every success in your educational endeavors.
To learn more, visit the UH Hilo Interim Chancellor's weblog.