Professor of Plant Science
B.S., University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
M.S., Ph.D., University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa
- Turf Management
My primary interest is micropropagation of especially tropical and subtropical crops. I have been involved in addressing many of the local industry needs via micropropagation including anthuriums, edible ginger, orchids, bananas, noni, awa, tea and taro.
- Tanabe, Michael and Sandra Baehr. 2001. In vitro Triple Indexing of Edible Ginger (Zingiber officinale). J. Hawaiian Pacific Agric. 11:11-15.
- Tanabe, Michael and K. Okuhara. 2000. In vitro Propagation of Edible Ginger, Zingiber officinale as influenced by Bud Dormancy and Autotrophy. Silent Abstract for World Congress on In vitro Biology. San Diego, Ca.
- Tanabe, Michael and Melissa Honda. 2000. Acacia Koa: In vitro Germination and Callus Culture. J. Hawaiian Pacific Agric. 10:47-51.
- Tanabe, Michael J., Sandra Baehr, William Wolff, John Fernandez, Ruth Tanaka and Kari Yoshimura. 1994. Indexing Service and Certification Program. Proceedings of the Seventh Hawaii Anthurium Industry Conf., Hilo, Hi.
- Tanabe, Michael J., Sandra Baehr, William Wolff, Ruth Tanaka and Kari Yoshimura. 1994. Anthurium In vitro Propagation and Germplasm Storage. Proceedings of the Seventh Hawaii Anthurium Industry Conf., Hilo, Hi..
Michael “Mike” Tanabe, Professor, Plant Science; Lecturer, Kinesiology & Exercise Science
Tel: (808) 932-7158
Fax: (808) 932-7037
Office: College of Agriculture Building, room 205
Mail: 200 W Kāwili St, Hilo, HI 96720-4091