Peralta Community College District MOU
Agreement between The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo and Colleges of the Peralta Community College District
The University of Hawaiʻi (UH Hilo) and The Colleges of the Peralta Community Colleges District agree to explore curricular and advising pathways of facilitate the transfer of students from Alameda College, Laney College, Berkeley City College and Merritt College to selected baccalaureate programs at UH Hilo.
Additionally, representatives from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at UH Hilo and the Office of the Vice Chancellor of the Peralta Community Colleges District will
- Identify programs on each of the campuses that are appropriate for a program-to-program articulation agreement
- Work with the faculty in these programs to develop curricular pathways and advising materials to facilitate transfer between the two institutions
- Identify faculty members in each selected program on each campus who will coordinate the joint program and serve as the advisor for students in the program.
Once program articulation has been completed, student in the selected Peralta Community Colleges District program will be eligible for future dated admission to the selected UH Hilo program upon the completion of 24 credits and satisfaction of the specific admissions requirements of the College and major into which they wish to matriculate. Students under the articulation agreement will remain at their Community College until the completion of their A.A. or A.S. degree and an agreed upon set of lower division courses required for General Education or pre-requisites for upper division courses in the major. Admission to UH Hilo will be future dated to the semester when the student will begin taking UH Hilo courses, and final admission will be subject to confirmation upon review of each student’s transcript at the time of transfer.
Students who complete the A.A. degree at any of the Peralta Community Colleges will have fulfilled the requirements for General Education at UH Hilo. The transcripts of students who complete the A.S. degree will be reviewed to determine which General Education requirements have been fulfilled and which will need to be fulfilled with additional coursework.
A student admitted to an articulated program under this agreement will
- Be eligible to graduate under the UH Hilo catalog in force in the semester in which the student is accepted into the articulated baccalaureate program, the catalog in force when s/he formally transfers to UH Hilo or the catalog in force when the student graduates from UH Hilo.
- Be offered advising by the faculty member identified as responsible for coordinating the joint program on the Peralta Community College District campus so that the student can design a course of study to complete the agreed upon pre-requisite courses prior to transfer to UH Hilo
- Be afforded e-mail access to the faculty member coordinating the joint program on the UH Hilo campus
- Be able to register for UH Hilo courses during UH Hilo’s early registration period prior to the student’s first semester at UH Hilo
Terms and Termination
- This agreement shall not create any rights in any third parties. The only parties to this agreement are UH Hilo and the Colleges of the Peralta Community College District.
- Amendments to this agreement must be in writing and approved by the designated representative of each institution.
- Either party may terminate this agreement for cause by giving written notice to the designated representative at least 90 days prior to the commencement of a new academic term.
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
Peralta Community College District
President Merritt College
College of Alameda
Berkeley City College