Frequently Asked Questions
The deadline to register online to participate in the 2018 Fall Commencement Ceremony is November 30, 2018
- 1. How do I start the graduation process?
- 2. Who is eligible to participate in the ceremony?
- 3. When and where is the rehearsal?
- 4. When and where is the ceremony?
- 5. How do I register to participate?
- 6. How do I purchase my cap and gown?
- 7. I am a veteran and would like a Veteran’s Honor cord, how do I obtain one?
- 8. If I am off-island and without internet access. How do I register to participate in the Commencement Ceremony and purchase my cap and gown?
- 9. How do I arrange for my name to be called at the ceremony?
- 10. How do I ensure that my honor society memberships are listed in the program?
- 11. How do I order Commencement announcement cards?
- 12. Are there any other memorabilia that I may be able to purchase?
- 13. Do I, or my family, need tickets to the ceremony?
- 14. What happens on the day of the ceremony?
- 15. Can my family and friends take photographs at the ceremony?
- 16. Will I receive my diploma in the ceremony?
- 17. What happens after the ceremony?
- 18. What about disability accommodations?
- 19. Who will be the student speaker?
- 20. Are there any other instructions?
1. How do I start the graduation process?
To start the graduation process, please contact the Office of the Registar to apply for Graduation. Applying to graduate with the Office of the Registrar is a separate process from registering to participate in the Commencement Ceremony. Be sure to apply for Graduation at the Office of Registrar first. Visit Office of the Registrar's Website
2. Who is eligible to participate in the ceremony?
Any student who has filed an application for graduation degree(s) with the Office of the Registrar is eligible and encouraged to participate in the Commencement Ceremony. You must register and hav a cap and gown to participate.
3. When and where is the rehearsal?
Friday, December 14, 2018 at 2:00pm
UH Hilo Vulcan Gymnasium
4. When and where is the ceremony?
Saturday, December 15, 2018 at 9:00am
UH Hilo Vulcan Gymnasium
Candidate Check In & Kīhei Tying Ceremony: 7:00am to 8:00am - Will be located at the Student Life Center.
5. How do I register to participate?
You can register for commencement online, once registration has opened for the semester.
The deadline to register online to participate in the 2018 Fall Ceremony is November 30, 2018.
6. How do I purchase my cap and gown?
Visit the UH Hilo Bookstore or online at UH Hilo Bookstore
For more information you may contact the Bookstore at (808)932-7394.
General regalia may be purchased starting in the beginning of TBA. Supplies are on a first-come, first-served basis so do not wait until the last minute.
Master and Doctoral regalia are not kept in stock and must be ordered by TBA.
Persons over 250 lbs or taller than 6’6”, should place a special cap & gown order before TBA.
|Bachelor Cap, Gown, and Tassel set||$41.00|
|Master Cap, Gown, and Tassel set||$49.00|
|Doctoral Cap, Gown, and Tassel set||$58.00|
|Master Academic Hood||$40.00|
|Doctoral Academic Hood||$47.00|
7. I am a veteran and would like a Veteran’s Honor cord, how do I obtain a Veterans Honor cord?
If you are a veteran, you may obtain a Veteran’s Honor cord from the Registrar's Office. Read more about the Veteran’s Honor Cord.
If you plan on wearing your Veteran’s Honor cord to the Commencement Ceremony, please be sure to check off the veteran option on your commencement registration form or email us at email@example.com.
8. If I am off island and without internet access, how do I register to participate in the Commencement Ceremony and purchase my cap and gown?
Call the Commencement Committee at (808)932-7840, no later than November 14, 2018, to request a registration form. Your complete registration form needs to be received by November 30, 2018.
Mail to:UH Hilo Conference Center
c/o Commencement Committee
200 W. Kawili Street
Hilo, HI 96720
You may purchase your cap and gown by calling (808)932-7394. Be sure to place your order early to ensure timely delivery.
9. How do I arrange for my name to be called at the ceremony?
As you register to participate in the Commencement Ceremony, you will fill out the section that reads, name as you want it to be announced at the ceremony. The committee has final review and will be in contact with you if they have any questions as to how you would like your name to be read.
10. How do I ensure that my honor society memberships are listed in the program?
By the last week in October, inform your dean/faculty advisor of your honor society affiliations. Confirm, with your dean/faculty advisor, that you are a candidate for graduation. They will be responsible for getting your name to the committee to appear in the program.
11. How do I order Commencement announcement cards?
Personalized commencement announcements are available at the UH Hilo Bookstore for $1.80 each (price subject to change) and will be available beginning TBA (minimum order of 5). Please note that announcements are not required for entrance into the commencement site. Please contact the Bookstore for more information at (808)932-7394
12. Are there any other memorabilia that I may be able to purchase?
- Class Ring
- Herff Jones Ring Company offers customized class rings. Brochures are available at the bookstore for those who are interested. Questions regarding class rings can be forwarded to our Herff Jones Representative, Mary Chiang at (808)395-1322, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. UH Hilo Diploma frames are also availabe at the bookstore.
13. Do I, or my family, need tickets to the ceremony?
No. All guests are welcome to the ceremony on a first-come, first-seated basis. The doors will open at 8:00am for general guests and at 7:30am for guests with special needs.
Please advise your guests that balloons need to be held down so that they do not obstruct the view of others. Strollers will not be allowed in the gymnasium or walkways.
14. What happens on the day of the ceremony?
All graduates report to the student check in area-located at the Student Life Center, check-in will open at 7:00am and must be completed by 8:00am. Please be on time.
Wear your cap, gown, and hood (if applicable). You will not be allowed to participate without a cap and gown. Do not redecorate your cap with items that may obstruct the view of your fellow candidates.
Candidates are NOT allowed to carry large bags, pets, children, food and drinks on the gymnaisum floor.
15. Can my family and friends take photographs at the ceremony?
The audience may take photographs and videos from their seats. Reed takaaze Photography will take individual photographs of studets as they are recognized on stage. A few days after the ceremony you will be able to view the commencement photos at www.activitypix.com Please use the password (138350) to view photos from the UH Hilo Commencement Ceremony.
16. Will I receive my diploma in the ceremony?
No, during the commencement ceremony, you will receive a diploma cover containing information regarding your diploma. Please see the Office of the Registrar's website for more information on diploma distribution at Graduation and Diploma Information.
17. What happens after the ceremony?
You may meet your guests by the alphabetical sign matching the first letter of your last name around the outside of the gymnasium.
18. What about disability accommodations?
Requests for disability accommodations can be made through the Commencement registration form. The deadline to submit any accomodation request is November 30, 2018.
19. Who will be the student speaker?
Application instructions and requirements for the selection of the Student Speaker may be found at: Student Speaker Information. The deadline to apply is TBA at 4pm.
20. Are there any other instructions?
The Commencement Ceremony symbolizes the conclusion of a rigorous period of academic study, training, sacrifice, discipline, and perseverance. It is a special rite of passage, honoring you and your fellow graduates. Please show consideration by conducting yourself with respect and dignity.
For further information, contact the Commencement Committee at email@example.com or (808)932-7840.