UH Hilo Writing Placement Assessment
Students are urged to take the online Writing Placement Assessment at their convenience. The online WPA instructions and link can be found here. Please note that if English is your first language AND you possess SAT or ACT scores you do not need to take the WPA. Your SAT or ACT scores will be used to place you.
On this page:
Online Writing Placement Assessment Instructions
The Writing Placement Assessment site is now available to students. Students whose first language is not English or who do not possess SAT or ACT scores are recommended to take the WPA as soon as possible.
The Writing Placement Assessment is an online assessment. Students may take the online Writing Placement Assessment at their convenience. The online WPA prioritizes the health and safety of everyone by limiting contact between students, faculty, and staff.
The online assessment will be conducted via the university’s Learning Management System called Laulima. In order to access Laulima and the online placement exam, you must have your assigned UH User ID and password. If you do not have your UH User ID and password you can contact the UH ITS Helpdesk at (808) 956-8883 (toll-free from neighbor islands at (800) 558-2669) or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- To begin the assessment, Visit the online Writing Placement Assessment on Laulima. The “Login Required” screen will appear.
- Log into Laulima by entering your UH User ID and Password.
- Once you are logged into Laulima click on Yes, add me. You should arrive at the WPA Start page.
- Follow the instructions to take the assessment.
If you do not see an invitation to join the group, then you may need to Log out of Laulima first.
What is the UH Hilo Writing Placement Assessment?
The Writing Placement Assessment (WPA) is a timed essay writing activity that determines what level writing course you will be assigned to if you are a non-native speaker of English or you are a native speaker of English, but you do not possess SAT or ACT scores.
Who does not take the assessment?
You do not have to take this assessment if you meet at least one of these criteria:
- you are a native speaker of English and you possess SAT scores or ACT scores which will determine what English course you are placed into
- you are a Regents' or Chancellor's Scholar
- you scored a "4" or "5" on the Language and Composition Advanced Placement Exam.
- you have transferred a course from another college that is officially equivalent to Admissions Office. You must have verification of acceptance of this transfer course from the
SAT Evidence-Based Reading & Writing (EBRW) Score Table
|UH Hilo Placement
|SAT EBRW Score
|SAT-EBRW 525 to 674
|SAT-EBRW 524 or below
SAT Writing (W) Score Table
|UH Hilo Placement
|SAT Writing Score
|SAT-W 475 to 624
|SAT-W 474 or below
ACT Score Table
|UH Hilo Placement
|ACT English Score
|ACT 18 to 27
|ACT 17 or below
Who takes the assessment?
You have to take the assessment if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- you are a native speaker of English and you do not possess SAT or ACT scores
- you are an entering non-native speaker of English
- you have been accepted to and intend to enroll at UH Hilo
- you have not transferred a course from another college that is officially equivalent to at UH Hilo
What is the purpose of the assessment?
This writing assessment is the University's way of placing you into the course that will best prepare you for academic writing. On the basis of the English faculty members' evaluation of your essay, you will be assigned to one of the following courses:
- or English as a Second Language
- English as a Second Language ( )
- Pre-100 ESL
How do I register for the assessment?
Note: You no longer need to register for the WPA since students take the WPA online at their convenience.
Who can I call if I have questions about the assessment?
Students who may require accommodations should contact the University Disability Services Office before taking the assessment.
How and when may I get my results?
Note: For the online WPA, it may take a minimum of 48 to 72 hours before you are notified by email what course you are placed into. This email message will be sent to your UH email address.