The Performing Arts Department offers a degree program comprised of three specialty concentrations: Dance, Drama Performance, and Music. The Dance concentration offers courses in ballet, modern and jazz dance, choreography, and dance in education. The Drama Performance concentration offers courses in acting, directing, costuming, stage makeup, stagecraft, musical theatre, and drama education. The Music concentration offers courses in the areas of musicology (history and literature), music theory and composition, applied music instruction (vocal and instrumental), and performing ensembles open to all qualified students, regardless of major. All Performing Arts majors complete a culminating senior project.
Performing Arts Website
Visit the Performing Arts website.
The UH Hilo Performing Arts Major has a three-fold mission:
- To serve the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo with general education and service courses;
- To provide an academic major in the Performing Arts, with three individual specialty concentrations in dance, drama performance, and music; and
- To contribute to the cultural life of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo and Hawaiʻi Island through artistic performances and offerings in music, drama, and dance, through public lectures, and through related professional activities.
- Abe, Robert “Rob” H., Lecturer, Drama
- Bassett, Ariana C., Theater Technician and Resident Designer
- Bunker, Anne “Annie” F., Lecturer, Music
- Fukushima, Yoshiko, Associate Professor, Performance Studies, Languages; Program Coordinator, Liberal Studies
- Horst, Amy S., Instructor, Music
- Johnson, Jacquelyn “Jackie Pualani” P., Professor, Drama
- Kapahua, Kristi “Kea” K., Lecturer, Dance
- Lee, Richard A., Associate Professor, Music
- Mattos, Justina, Assistant Professor, Performing Arts
- Mendoza-Watson, Gloria D., Lecturer, Music
- Staton, Celeste A., Instructor, Dance
- Veilleux, Trever L., Lecturer, Music