B.A. in Performing Arts Requirements
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Required Performing Arts Majors
Core (25 Credits):
- DNCE 150 Intro To Dance (3)
- DRAM 101 Introduction to Theatre (3)
- MUS 107 Music in World Cultures (3)
- DRAM 280-280L Basic Stagecraft (3), Basic Stagecraft Laboratory (1)
- DRAM 364 Advanced Theatre Practicum (1–4)
- Performance: Choose one class from the below (3):
- DNCE 160 Ballet I (3) or DNCE 180 Jazz Dance I (3) or DNCE 190 Modern Dance I (3)
- DRAM 221 Beginning Acting I (3)
- MUS 114 University Chorus (3)
- Hawaii/Pacific content specific courses: Choose two classes from the below (6):
- DNCE 170 BegContemp Dance/Hawaiʻi Themes (3)
- DNCE 270 IntContempDance Hawaiʻi/Themes (3)
- DNCE 475 Dance Hawaiʻi Performance Group (3)
- DRAM 387 Performance Education (3)
- DRAM 243 Drama of Hawaiʻi & the Pacific (3)
- DRAM 421 Acting Troupe (3)
- MUS 175 Intro Music Of Polynesia (3)
- MUS 176 Hist & Dev Of Hawn Music (3)
- MUS 195 Contemporary Island Music (3)
- MUS 404 Kapili Choir (3)
- PART 395 Senior Seminar (1) or PART 399 Directed Studies (To Be Arranged)
- PART 495 Senior Project (3) or PART 499 Directed Studies (To Be Arranged)
Students must select and fulfill 15 credit hours in one of the following concentrations (not duplicated from the core requirements.)
Dance Concentration (15 Credits):
Choose 6 credits from the following list:
- DNCE 160 Ballet I (3)
- DNCE 260 Ballet II (3)
- DNCE 180 Jazz Dance I (3)
- DNCE 280 Jazz Dance II (3)
- DNCE 190 Modern Dance I (3)
- DNCE 290 Modern Dance II (3)
DNCE 371 Choreography (3) or DNCE 401 Dance Ensemble (3) or DNCE 419 Dance In Education (3)
- 6 credits of DNCE courses at the level of 200 or above (6)
Drama Concentration (15 Credits):
Acting/Directing (6 credits):
- DRAM 221 Beginning Acting I (3)
- DRAM 430 Directing (3)
Drama Electives (9 credits):
- Choose 9 credits of DRAM courses at any level
Music Concentration (15 Credits):
Music Foundations/Performance (9 credits):
- MUS 106 Intro to Music Literature (3)
- MUS 108 Fundamentals of Western Music (3)
- MUS 404 Kapili Choir (3) or MUS 402 Jazz Orchestra (3)
Music Electives (6 credits):
- 6 Credits of MUS courses of which 3 credits must be 300 or above
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Performing Arts
120 credits required.
- Applied Music fees are in addition to regular tuition. For Applied Music courses and fee structure, contact the Applied Music Coordinator and consult the instructor at the time of registration.
In order to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Performing Arts, students must not only fulfill the requirements for the major but also meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.