B.A. in Performing Arts Requirements
Group 1. General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural, and Integrative Requirements in effect Fall 2018
Students may choose to graduate under the General Education Foundation, Diversification, Structural and Integrative requirements and graduation requirements in force at the time they entered the UH System, when they entered UH Hilo, or when they graduate, provided there is no break in enrollment.
Students should meet with their academic advisor to ensure that they enroll in courses that will enable them to meet these requirements as well as requirements for the major and for graduation. Some courses may meet both General Education requirements and major requirements.
The new GE foundations, diversification, structural and integrative requirements and lists of certified courses are posted on the General Education website.
Group 2. Major Requirements and Assigned Credits (52 credits)
1. Required Performing Arts Major Core Courses (20)
- DNCE 150 Intro To Dance (3)
- DNCE 160 Ballet I (3) or DNCE 180 Jazz Dance I (3) or DNCE 190 Modern Dance I (3)
- DRAM 101 Introduction to Theatre (3)
- DRAM 221 Beginning Acting I (3)
- MUS 106 Intro to Music Literature (3)
- MUS 108 Fundamentals of Western Music (3)
- MUS 121 Class Instruction I (1)
- MUS 122 Class Instruction II (1)
2. Unified Training Experience Courses (10-11)
- DRAM 280-280L Basic Stagecraft (3), Basic Stagecraft Laboratory (1)
- DRAM 364 Advanced Theatre Practicum (1–4) (3 credits required)
- Ensemble: (Choose one)
- DNCE 401 Dance Ensemble (3)
- DRAM 421 Acting Troupe (3)
- DRAM 490-490L Lyric Theatre (3), Lyric Theatre Lab (1)
- MUS 114 University Chorus (3)
- MUS 404 Kapili Choir (3)
- MUS 402 Jazz Orchestra (3)
- MUS 410 Ensembles (3)
3. Leadership courses. Choose two courses from the following: (6)
- DNCE 371 Choreography (3)
- DRAM 430 Directing (3)
- MUS 324 Choral Conducting (3)
- DNCE 419 Dance In Education (3)
- DRAM 419 Drama in Education (3)
- MUS 419 Music in Education (3)
4. Major electives (12)
- An additional 12 credits in DNCE, DRAM, or MUS at the 300- or 400-level selected in consultation with advisor.
5. Senior Project (4)
- PART 395 Senior Seminar (1) or PART 399 Directed Studies (To Be Arranged)
- PART 495 Senior Project (3) or PART 499 Directed Studies (To Be Arranged)
Total Semester Hours Required for the B.A. in Performing Arts
120 credits required.
- To earn the BA in Performing Arts, students must earn a “C” or higher in all required Performing Arts courses.
- Applied Music fees are in addition to regular tuition. For Applied Music courses and fee structure, contact the Performing Arts department chair and consult the instructor at the time of registration.
- Students enrolled in MUS 231 or MUS 331 are required to participate in student recitals and juries, and to be co-enrolled in a Performing Arts ensemble.
- No more than 12 credits of ensemble courses may be applied to the 300- or 400-level total required for the Music Concentration.
- Students enrolled in DRAM 350 Stage Costume (3) who have no previous sewing experience also must enroll concurrently in DRAM 350L Stage Costume Laboratory (1) .
- In order to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree in Performing Arts, students must not only fulfill the requirements for one of the specialty concentrations in the major but also meet all of the University’s other baccalaureate degree requirements. (Please see the Baccalaureate Degree Requirements in this Catalog.)
- Students wishing to make timely progress toward graduation are urged to pay careful attention to all degree requirements.
- In addition, when planning a schedule of courses, it is imperative to be aware of course prerequisites and the frequency with which courses are offered. This information is available in the course listings in this Catalog.
- To ensure progress toward degree completion, students are urged to meet with an advisor each semester before registering.