Francisco P. Dumanig, Ph.D.
Chair & Associate Professor of English
TESOL Program Coordinator
Ph.D. University of Malaya
Research ID: https://publons.com/researcher/411938/francisco-perlas-dumanig/
ResearchGate ID: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Francisco_Dumanig
Google Citation Index: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=FVkCNqYAAAAJ
Scopus ID: https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=49663332400
Orcid ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9845-0066
Dr. Francisco Perlas Dumanig is Chair & Associate Professor of English and TESOL coordinator at the University of Hawaii at Hilo. He was a Senior Lecturer at the Faculty of Languages and Linguistics, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and other universities in the Philippines, Malaysia, Middle East, and the USA. He has done research on Language and Identity of Economic Migrants, English Language Teaching and Learning (ENL, ESL, and EFL), Language Planning and Language Policy, and Southeast Asian Englishes. His current research focuses on Family Language Policy of Filipinos in Hawaii, Education and Language in the Philippines, and Caregiver’s Interaction with Elderly Patients in Adult Residential Care Homes. He has published some of his works in peer-reviewed journals, such as Cambridge Language Teaching Journal, Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, World Englishes, Multilingua, Language Policy, and International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism.
Area of Specialization/Research
- Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language
- Southeast Asian Englishes
- Discourse Analysis (Language and Identity)
- Language Planning and Language Policy
- Ph.D. Linguistics - Sociolinguistics (University of Malaya)
- M.A. English (Philippine Christian University)
- B.A. English (Saint Paul University Surigao/San Nicolas College)
- Symaco, L., & Dumanig, F. (2021). Education and language policy in the Philippines. Lexington/ Rowman & Littlefield.
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Dumanig, F. Symaco. L. & Gan, A. (forthcoming). Triad of Cultures in English Language Teaching: L2 English-Speaking EFL Teachers' Perspectives.
- Maher, R., & Dumanig, F.(2022). Pedagogical Implications of Stance-taking and Identity Construction in Lecturer-Student Interaction. Journal of International and Comparative Education Vol. 11. No. 1. DOI: 10.14425/jice.2022.11.1.0612.
- David, M.K., Dumanig, F. & Ali, A.(2022). Creating Self-Pride and Cross-Cultural Communicative Competence among Pakistani and Indian Speakers of English through Speech Acts
- Maher, R., Kaur, J., PLai, S.M.P., Dumanig, F.(2022). Self-Repair Practices in Pharmacist-Patient Interaction and their Role in Preventing Misunderstanding and Maintaining Medication Safety.Respectus Philologicus 53-66.
- Maher, R., Lai, SMP., & Dumanig, F.(2022). Improving Medication Safety in Pharmacist-Patient Interactions: Making a Case for the Use of Communication Accommodation Strategies. Global Journal of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Vol.10, No.1, pp.39-53
- Kaur, S., Gurcharan, SBS. David, M.K., Shanmuganathan & Dumanig, F.(2022). anguage Choice mong the Punjabi Sikh Community in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia. IARS International Research Journal 12 (1)
- Lumayag, L., Esteban, I., & Dumanig, F. (2021). Precarity Amidst ‘Ad-Hoc’ Access to Education for Second Generation of Youth Immigrants in Kudat, Sabah. Journal of Borneo-Kalimantan. Vol 7(1): 53-65.
- Dumanig, F., Symaco, L. & Dahan, A. (forthcoming). Triad of Cultures in English Language Teaching: Non-native English Teachers’ Perspectives.
- Dumanig, F., David, M..K., & Manan, S.A. (2020). Transporting and Reconstructing Identities through Language Use in the Workplace: Focus on Filipinos in Malaysia. J_ournal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development_. DOI:
- Manan, S., David, M.K., Channa, L. & Dumanig, F. (2020). The monolingual bias: A critique of idealization and essentialization in ELT in Pakistan. In Rudolph, N; Selvi, A. F; and Yazan, B. (Eds.), The complexity of Identity and interaction in language education (pp. 25-42). Multilingual Matters. https://www.degruyter.com/view/book/9781788927437/10.21832/9781788927437-003.xml?rskey=Lp6M07&result=7
- Dumanig, F. & Symaco, L. (2020). Internationalisation of Higher Education in Malaysia and the Philippines: A Comparative Analysis of Mission and Vision Statements of Selected Universities. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, DOI:
- David, M.K., Liaquat, C., Manan, S & Dumanig, F. (2020). Language Shift and Ethnic Identity: Focus on Malaysian Sindhis. IARS International Research Journal 10 (01). https://researth.iars.info/index.php/curie/article/view/92/86
- **David, M.K & Dumanig, F. **(2020). The Power of Language. In F. Floris & W. Renandaya, Inspirational Stories in English Language Classroom (pp. 37-40). TEFLIN Publication.
- Dumanig, F. & David, M.K. (2019). Linguistic Landscape as a Pedagogical Tool in Teaching and Learning English in Oman. _Modern Journal of Studies in English Language Teaching and Literature _- MJSELT 1. 1-13.
- Dumanig, F. (2019). Bilingualism and multilingualism in primary education in the Philippines. In Lorraine P.S., Maria Teresa T., & Ian M. (Eds.). Education and Childhood Studies. Bloomsbury Publishing. DOI:
- Dumanig, F. (2019). Bilingualism and multilingualism in lower and upper secondary education in the Philippines. In Lorraine P.S., Maria Teresa T., & Ian M. (Eds.). Education and Childhood Studies. Bloomsbury Publishing. DOI:
- Zainuddin, S., Pillai, S., Dumanig, F., & Philip, A. (2019). English language and graduate employability. Education + Training, https://doi.org/10.1108/ET-06-2017-0089
- Dumanig, F. (2018). Linguistic Landscape as a Tool in Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language. The Word 27 (3). 4-6.
- Manan, S., David, M.K., Dumanig, F., & Chana, L.A. (2017). An Englishized Linguistic Landscape: Glocalization of English in Pakistan. World Englishes. DOI: 10.1111/weng.12213
- David, M.K & Dumanig, F. (2017). Language Policy and Research on Technological Advancement in English Language Teaching in Malaysia. Language in India. http://languageinindia.com/feb2017/dumaniglanguageteachingmalaysia1.html
- Dumanig, F., David, M.K, Hanafi Hussin, Orcullo, D. & Jubilado, R. (2017). Religious and National Identities represented in the Narratives of Migrant Filipino Muslims in Malaysia. Borneo Research Journal, 10. 93-110.
- Dumanig, F, David, M.K & Ali Hubais (2016). Thematic Progression of Omani Students' Essay. Philippine ESL Journal 17, pp. 27-40.
- Dumanig, F. (2016). Foreword. Philippine ESL Journal 17, p. 1.
- David. M.K, Dumanig, F., Kuang, Ching Hei & Singhanat Nomnian.(2016) Cross-Cultural Encounters in Giving Compliments and Making Requests through Literary Texts: Pedagogical Ramifications. Malta Review of Educational Research 10 (1), pp. 5-22.
- David, M.K, Dumanig, F.P & Manan, S. (2016). National Languages- Medium of Instruction- Empowerment or Disempowerment? Linguapax. 1-18.
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Dumanig, F. P. (2015). A disjunction between language policy and children's socio-cultural ecology - an analysis of English-medium education policy in Pakistan. Language and Education. DOI: 10.1080/09500782.2015.1046882
- Dumanig, F. (2015). Descriptive Analysis of the Surigaonon Language. _Polyglossia _27:1-10.
- Dumanig, F., David, M.K., Kais, A.K & Lumayag, L. (2015). Code-switching in Mixed Couples Interaction: A Conversation Analysis. P_rotagonist International Journal of Management and Technology (PIJMT)_ 2 (1). 1-26.
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Dumanig, F. P. (2015). The English-medium fever: Analysis of stakeholders' perceptions and resistance to mother- tongue-based education in Pakistan. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. DOI: 10.1080/13670050.2015.1080659 31.** Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Dumanig, F. P.** (2015). Ethnolinguistic dilemma and static maintenance syndrome: A study of language policies and language perceptions in Pakistan. Language Problems and Language Planning, 39. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1075/lplp.41.1.04man
- Gan, A., David, M.K., & Dumanig, F. (2015). Politeness Strategies and Address Forms Used by Filipino Domestic Helpers in Addressing Their Malaysian Employers. Language in India, 15:1 January 2015 www.languageinindia.com
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Dumanig, F. P.(2015). English Language Teaching in Pakistan: Language Policies, Delusions, and Solutions. In Robert Kirkpatrick English Language Education Policy in Asia Volume 11 of the series Language Policy pp 219-244
- Delli, M., Abed, N. & Dumanig, F. (2015). Discourse Analysis of Rhetorical Structure of an Online Iraqi English Newspaper. International Journal of Foreign Language Teaching & Research 3 (9), pp. 10-16
- Manan, S. A., David, M. K., & Dumanig, F. P. (2015). Don't speak local languages': shrinking ethnolinguistic diversity in education and marginalization of ethnic languages in Pakistan. Ethnic and Racial Studies.
- Jubilado, R., Ingilan, S. & Dumanig, F.(2015). Expressing profanity in Cebuano and Bahasa Sug. Journal of Southeast Asian Studies (JATI), 20. 136-157.
- Syed Abdul Manan, David, M.K, and Dumanig, F. (2014). Language management: A snapshot of governmentality within the English-medium schools in Quetta, Pakistan. Language Policy,15: 3–26
- Hubais, A. & Dumanig, F. (2014). Form and Content Feedbacks in Foreign Language Writing: The Case of Omani Learners of English. _Language in India _14, www.languageinindia.com.
- Deborah Ashabai Fredericks John and Dumanig, F. (2014). Language Choice, Code-Switching, and Identity Construction in Malaysian English Newspaper Advertisements. Language in India, 14: August 08, 2014.
- Syed Abdul Manan, David, M.K, Dumanig, F.P, and Khan Naqeebullah. (, 2014). Politics, economics, and identity: Mapping the linguistic landscape of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. International Journal of Multilingualism. DOI:10.1080/14790718.2014.905581http:// www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14790718.2014.905581#.U1V18fmSwcE
- Dumanig, F. P., David, M. K., & Shanmuganathan, T.(2013). Language Choice and Language Policies in Filipino- Malaysian Families in Multilingual Malaysia. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development, 34(6), 582-596.
- David, M.K., Dumanig, F., Abdul Latif Sukri Samsuri & Lumayag, L.(2013). Social Responsibility and Sustainability Programme: The Case of Malaysian Universities. CMU Journal of Science
- Ashabai, D. & Dumanig, F.P. (2013). Identity Construction and Code-Switching in English Newspaper Advertisements. _SEARCH The South East Asia Research Centre for Communication and Humanitie_s pp.57-71.
- Ong, S.N. Jubilado, R. Dumanig, F. Ahmad Hilmi.(2012). A contrastive analysis of the reduplication process in Bahasa Melayu and Japanese. _Polyglossia _22. 67-71
- David, M.K. DeAlwis, C., and Dumanig, F.(2012). A synergy of diversity through code-switching in a Malaysian movie. JATI 17: 255-270.
- Hassan Fartoussi and Dumanig, F. (2012). A Rhetorical Analysis of an Editorial: The Hoodies of NWO. Advances in Asian Social Science 1 (1) pp. 126-133.
- Hassan Fartoussi and Dumanig, F. (2012). Rhetorical Pattern of Conference Abstracts: (A Rhetorical Analysis of sampled Abstracts Presented at FISS Conference). Advances in Asian Social Science 1 (1) pp. 162-164.
- Dumanig, F. & David, M.K. (2012). Thematic Progression of Malaysian and Philippine English Editorials: A Contrastive Analysis and Pedagogical Ramifications. SPELT Quarterly Journal 3 (3): 3-10.
- Dumanig, F.P., David, M.K., Jubilado, R. & Hanafi bin Hussin. (2012). Attribution Resulting in Miscommunication between Malaysian Employers and Filipino Domestic Helpers. SEARCH: The Journal of the South East Asia Research Centre for Communication and Humanities 4 (2): 1-20.
- Dumanig, F., David, M.K., and Symaco, L. (2012). Competing Roles of the National Language and English in Malaysia and the Philippines: Planning, Policy, and Use. Journal of International and Comparative Education, 1(2):104-115.
- David, M.K. & Dumanig, F. (2012). Discourse of Leader in an Academic Setting: A Critical Discourse Analysis of Email Messages. IARS' International Research Journal (I'IRJ) 2(2). http://www.irj.iars.info/index.php
- Rani Rubdy, T. Ruanni F. Tupas, Corazon D. Villareal, Maya Khemlani David, Dumanig, Francisco.(2012). Review of doctoral research in English language education in the Philippines, Singapore, and Malaysia (2007-2010). Language Teaching 45 (1).64-88
- Dumanig, F., and David, M.K.(2011). Language Choice and Naming of Businesses as a Marketing Strategy: Focus on Malaysia and the Philippines. Language in India 11. 33-41.
- David, M.K. & Dumanig, F. (2011). Social Capital and Politeness Strategies in Fostering Ethnic Relations in Malaysia and the Philippines. IARS International Research Journal (I'IRJ)(1) 1.
- Dumanig, F., and David, M.K. (2011). Analysis of form and content feedback in second language writing. SPELT Quarterly Journal 26 (4) pp. 2-9.
- Dumanig, F., David, M.K., and DeAlwis, C. (2011). Conversion Narratives and Construction of Identity among Christians in Malaysia. Multilingua 30 (3-4): 319-331.
- David, M.K., and Dumanig, F. (2011). National Unity in Multi-ethnic Malaysia: A Critical Discourse Analysis of Tun Dr. Mahathir s Political Speeches. RC25: Language, Discourse, and Society.
- Dumanig, F.(2011).Social Class, Gender, and Speech: The Case of Filipino Children. JATI: Journal of Southeast Asian Studies. 53-60.
- Manueli, M., Pillai, S., and Dumanig, F. (2010). Monophthong vowels in Malaysian and Philippine English: An exploratory study. _Philippine Journal of Linguistics _41, 80-93.
- Dumanig, F.(2010). Language choice in interracial marriages: The case of Filipino-Malaysian couples. Dissertation.com: Boca Raton http://www.dissertation.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1599423677
- Dumanig, F. Esteban, I. & Dahan, A.(2009). Topical Structure Analysis of American and Filipino Editorials. Academic Journal: Journal for the Advancement of Science and Arts (1): 63- 72.
- Harnisch, S. David, M.K, & Dumanig, F.(2009). Crosstalk and Communication Breakdown in Professional Interactions in English. Language in India. June 05 2009
- David, M.K, and Dumanig, F.(2008). Nativization of English in Malaysia and the Philippines. Philippine Journal of Linguistics 39, 67-79
- Dumanig, F. (2004). Phonological Differences of (f) and (v) Among Young Filipino Male and Female Students. I_NTI College Journal_ 1 (4), 318-330
- Dumanig, F. (2003). A Comparative Analysis between Form Feedback and Content Feedback in L2 Composition Writing. Far Eastern University Review 6, 102-116
- Dumanig, F., & David, M. K. (2014.) Miscommunication in Malaysian-Filipino Interactions: Intercultural Discourse in English. In Hajar Abdul Rahim & Shakila Abdul Manan (Eds.), English in Malaysia: Post-Colonial and Beyond. Frankfurt: Peter Lang. pp. 251-276.
- Dealwis, C., David, M.K., and Dumanig, F.P. (2012). Contested identity: The transvestites in Malaysia. In Celine-Marie Pascale (ed.) Inequality & the Politics of Representation: A Global Landscape. Sage Publication: 243-254
- Dumanig, F., and David, M. K. (2011). Malaysian-Filipino couples and Language Choice: International language or heritage language? In D. Mukerjee and M.K. David (eds). _National language planning and language shifts in Malaysian Minority Communities: Speaking in many tongues: Language shifts in Malaysian minority communities and the effects of national language planning _(pp.71-86). Amsterdam University Press: Amsterdam
- Dumanig, F., and David, M. K. (2011). Language Use and Bilingual Consumers: Analysis of Print Advertisement in Multilingual Malaysia. In Lean, M.L, M.K. David, Ngeow, Y.M (eds.). Bridging the Gap of Cross-Cultural Communication, pp. 217-226. Kuala Lumpur: University of Malaya Press
- Dumanig, F.(2011). Philippine and Malaysian Varieties of English: Miscommunication in Intercultural Interactions. In Lean, M.L, M.K. David, Ngeow, Y.M (eds.). Bridging the Gap of Cross-Cultural Communication, pp. 89-100. Kuala Lumpur: University of Malaya Press
- Dumanig, F., and M. K. Manueli. (2009). Linguistic Accommodation and Cultural Assimilation of Filipino Married Women in Malaysia. In Manueli, MKS and Hanafi bin Hussin (eds.), Boundaries and Beyond: Language, Cultures, and Identity of Southeast Asia (pp. 79-88). Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Department of Southeast Asian Studies, University of Malaya.
- David, M. K., and Dumanig, F. (2009). Learning about cross-cultural encounters: Authentic texts in extensive reading (E.R.) programs at the university level. In Andrzej Cirocki (ed.). Extensive reading. (pp. 483-501). Menschen: LINCOM Studies in Second Language Teaching
68. Dumanig, F., David, M.K. & Jubilado, R.(2011). Computer-Mediated Reading and its Impact on Learners' Reading Comprehension Skills. 10th European Conference on e- learning ECEL-2011. Brighton. Brighton University. 69. Dumanig, F.P, and David, M.K. (2011). Competing Roles of the National Language and English in Malaysia and the Philippines: Planning, Policy, and Use. Paper presented at the 21st Annual Conference of Southeast Asian Linguistic Society, Bangkok, Kasetsart University, May 11-13. 70. Dumanig, Francisco, Gan, A. & Yeow, J. (2009). Internationalization of Education: A Critical Discourse Analysis of Vision and Mission Statements of Malaysian and Philippine Universities. INEC 2009. 71. Dumanig, Francisco.(2007). An Analysis of the Language Choice and Marital Typology of Southeast Asian Couples. Second Singapore Graduate Forum on Southeast Asian Studies. 72. Dumanig, F. (2005). The Effects of Computer-Assisted Instructional Devices in Teaching Reading. In KMUTT and AIAER. ICLORD 2005, (pp. 352-364). Bangkok. 73. Dumanig, F., and Morel, R. (2020). Caregivers' Communication Strategies with Elderly Patients in Adult Residential Care Homes. HICELLS 2020, Hilo, Hawaii. March 13-14, 2020.
74. Dumanig, F. (2009). The Use of Demonstrative Pronouns. SFI Magazine 41. (April, May & June) 75. Dumanig, F. (2009). Simple Verb Tenses. SFI Magazine 42. (July, August & September) 76. Dumanig, F. (2009). Kinds of Sentences According to Form. SFI Magazine 43. October, November & December) 77. Dumanig, F. (2008). English: Language for communication in a globalised society. (July 25 2008). The Borneo Post.
- Recognition from the House of Representative, State of Hawaii, August 14, 2021
- 2021 College of Arts and Sciences Faculty Achievement Award, The University of Hawaii at Hilo, June 14, 2021
- IMRF Distinguished Inspiring Best Teacher Award 2020 in English and Literary Studies, Red Talks International Academic Excellence Awards, September 5, 2020.
- Pulama Ike Award, The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, Spring 2020.
- Outstanding Research (ICLORD 2005, Thailand)