Transfer to UH Hilo
To see how your course credits will transfer to UH Hilo, visit: Transfer Credits
Five Steps to UH Hilo
1. Prepare Your Application to UH Hilo
There are two different transfer pathways into UH Hilo:
1. Standard Transfer
Students who are currently or were previously enrolled at a college or university other than UH Hilo, and have completed at least 24 baccalaureate-level credits from all colleges attended with a minimum GPA of 2.0, are eligible for admission.
How to Apply
- Submit an application online and pay $50 application fee.
- Submit official non-UH transcripts to UH Hilo's Admissions Office.
- Submit official results of TOEFL, IELTS exam, if you are a non-native speaker of English.
- Transferring in Fall:
- July 1st (general students);
- June 1st (F-1 students);
- March 1st (International Exchange students)
- Transferring in Spring:
- December 1st (general students);
- November 1st (F-1 students);
- October 1st (International Exchange students)
2. Automatic Admission
Students who are in their final semester of their Associate degree at any of the UH Community Colleges or who have at least 54 credits completed at any of the UH Community Colleges by the end of the semester and a 2.0 cumulative GPA are eligible for Automatic Admission.
How to Apply
Eligible students will receive an email invitation sent to their UH email account with instructions on how to apply.
- Transferring in Fall: March 1st
- Transferring in Spring: October 1st
2. Apply for UH Hilo Financial Aid
- Financial aid includes numerous grants and scholarships provided by UH Hilo, as well as by federal, state, and other organizations.
- Complete the FAFSA and include the UH Hilo campus code:
- UH Hilo's FAFSA priority filing date is February 1st.
- If you are using Veteran Affairs funding to cover the cost of attendance at UH Hilo, please inform them of your transfer to UH Hilo.
- If you are receiving scholarships, please let the scholarship organization know about your transfer to UH Hilo.
- To check on the status of your financial aid award package from UH Hilo, please go to MyUH Services.
3. Apply for On-Campus Housing
- Living in one of UH Hilo's residence halls is a special part of the university experience.
- If you would like to live on-campus, submit an online housing application upon receiving your acceptance letter from UH Hilo's Admissions Office.
- There is a $10 non-refundable on-campus housing application fee.
- Once your on-campus housing application is processed, UH Hilo's Housing Office will send a housing offer to your UH email account.
- If you have any questions about on-campus housing, please call (808) 932-7403.
4. Submit Your Intent to Enroll & Review Your Transfer Credit Evaluation
In your UH Hilo acceptance packet that will be sent to you via postal mail, there will be:
- An Intent to Enroll form. Please complete the form and submit it to the UH Hilo Admissions Office.
- A Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) showing how your credits will be transferred to UH Hilo. Please review your TCE and contact the UH Hilo Admissions Office if you have any questions.
- Required health documents. If you need to submit your TB or MMR clearance forms, please mail or fax your completed documents to our Medical Services Office. Login to your MyUH Services account to see if you need to submit these documents.
5. Advising and Registration
- Make an appointment with an academic advisor at UH Hilo. Your academic advisor will assist you in creating a course schedule designed to guide you towards timely graduation within your declared major or expressed area of interest.
- Students who meet UH Hilo's academic admissions requirements, but require additional English language instruction, can enter UH Hilo's English Language Institute first as preparation for academic study at UH Hilo. To see if you need to participate in UH Hilo's English Language Institute, please check your MyUH Services account.