Skip to content

Entrance Requirements for Transfer Students

Transfer students should have completed 24 college-level semester credit hours with a minimum GPA of 2.0 to be eligible for admission.

Individuals who have less than 24 semester credit hours will be considered if they meet the requirements as stated for high school seniors. High school transcripts, test scores and college transcripts should be sent directly from each institution to our office.

Transcripts from all post-secondary educational institutions attended must be submitted before an admissions decision will be made. If course work is in progress, a final transcript must be sent as soon as it becomes available after the term is completed.

To Apply

Complete and return an application or apply online while having the following items sent to UH Hilo Admissions Office:

  1. Official college transcripts from all previous and current institutions
  2. A $50 Application Fee
  3. Official results of the TOEFL, IELTS exams (for non-native speakers of English).

and if below 24 semester credit hours:

  1. Official SAT or ACT scores
  2. Official high school transcript

Return to top

Award of Transfer Credit

A Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) will be processed upon your acceptance to UH Hilo, which shows the courses you have taken at other institutions and how they transfer in to UH Hilo.

Credit is awarded for a course provided that:

  • The course is completed at a College or University that is regionally accredited (U.S.), or is recognized and approved by the Ministry of Education in that country (non-U.S.).
  • The course is at the baccalaureate level in a field that is typically part of a baccalaureate program.
  • The student has earned a "D" or higher (UH System schools).
  • The student has earned a "C-" or higher (all other schools).
  • The course is not developmental or remedial.
  • The course is not a Credit for Life experience.

See the UH Hilo Transfer Credit Policy (PDF) for more details.

Transfer guides are available for all colleges in the University of Hawai╩╗i system, as well as many in the Pacific region. Institutions on the U.S. Mainland are be added every month.

Our Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) policies are also available to view online.

Return to top

General Education and Major Requirements

To find out more information about specific requirements, please visit Academic Advising.

Beginning Fall 1999, an Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a regionally accredited U.S. community college will satisfy the General Education requirements toward a Bachelor of Arts degree. Specific supplemental course requirements for various majors are not exempt.

Return to top

Transfer from International Institutions

Official transcripts from International institutions must be submitted in English, or must be accompanied by a certified English translation. Course descriptions must be submitted by your college for the courses you have taken and must be in English or be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Transcript Information (International)

Please assure that an original transcript in the original language is provided to UH Hilo. Transcripts which are printed in languages other than English must be accompanied by an official translation. Some colleges and universities provide transcripts in both languages. Please check with your school.

Return to top