Welcome to SHEL (State Higher Education Loan Program) Exit Counseling
Why You're Here
Before you graduate-or drop below half-time attendance-you are required by federal regulation to complete an exit counseling session. It shows you how to manage your student loans after college. Here's the best part: You can do the counseling online, in about 25 minutes-right from this page. Start through the steps below.
(Before you do, make sure you're supposed to be here-and not in Stafford Online Student Loan Counseling for your Federal Stafford Loan. Ask your Financial Aid Office if you're not sure.)
Before you Start
Gather the following information, if you don't have it already:
- Your Social Security number
- Name, address, and phone number of your closest relatives
- Name, address, and phone number for two references at different addresses (so your lenders can contact the references if they lose touch with you)
- Name, address, and phone number of your expected employer (enter "unknown" if you don't have one yet)
Also, ask the Financial Aid Office for your total loan amount, as well as your SHEL loan amount. If you know how much you owe on loans, you can use the student loan calculator in this session to calculate your estimated monthly payment.
What to do
Just follow these steps:
- From the menu below, select the name of your school. (After this, you might be routed to a page with special information from your school. Simply read the information, do whatever's required of you, and move on.)
- Read all of the text and answer some questions.
- Read all the text and answer the questions.
- Fill out the student information form. Use the comment box for any comments or questions.
- Keep a record of your confirmation page, which appears after you fill out the student information form. We'll notify your school that you took the session.
This Online Counseling requires the use of either Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher or Netscape Navigator 4.7 or higher.
Where to Go for Help
If you are experiencing problems, please contact the Financial Aid Office.