A person who wishes to take courses at UH Hilo but does not wish, or does not qualify, to enroll in a degree program, may apply for admission as a Non-Degree seeking, unclassified student. Some students may start off as a non-degree seeking student until they have earned 24 credits and are then eligible to apply for classified status in a degree program.
- No application fee.
- Transcripts are not required.
- All courses completed as a non-degree student can be applied towards a degree once admitted into an academic program.
- Class registration based on a space available after classified, degree seeking students, have registered.
- Financial aid is not available.
- No faculty advisers.
- International visa students and WUE students are not eligible for unclassified, non-degree status.
- Students who are on academic dismissal or suspension do not qualify under this status.
Non-degree seeking student who wish to become classified students should contact the Admissions Office to discuss their options.