Information for Admitted Students

Newly accepted students who plan to enroll at University of Hawaii at Hilo (UH Hilo) must:

1. Submit Intent to Enroll and Tuition Deposit

Notify UH Hilo Admissions Office of their intent to enroll for the term for which they have been accepted. A $60, non-refundable tuition deposit is required for students who did not apply for financial aid. Students who applied for financial aid do not need to submit a tuition deposit. The deposit cannot be transferred to another campus and applies only for the term the student was accepted.

2. Submit Health Clearances

  • In accordance with Hawaiʻi State law, all newly-enrolled students must submit the following:
    • Tuberculosis Clearance (TB) – must be done in the United States or its territories
    • Measles-containing vaccine; at least one being measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) – 2 doses
    • Varicella (Chicken pox) – 2 doses
    • Tetanus-diphtheria-acellular pertussis (Tdap) – 1 dose
  • Students planning to live in on-campus in the dorms for the first time at UH Hilo and are 21 years or younger also need documentation of:
    • Meningococcal Conjugate (MCV) clearance
  • If you are unable to obtain the above clearance prior to your arrival on campus, you may receive them at the UH Hilo Student Medical Services Office for a fee. However, MCV clearance is required before you can move in to the residence halls.
  • For International Students Only:
    • Tuberculosis Clearance - Since tuberculosis (TB) tests must be done inside the United States or its territories, international students will get a TB test on the UH Hilo campus during orientation before classes begin.
  • For more information about health clearance contact the Student Medical Center.

3. Submit final high school or college transcripts

Newly admitted students who are recent high school graduates must submit a copy of their official final high school transcript to the Admissions Office by the deadline indicated in the student’s UH STAR account. Newly admitted transfer students who have courses in-progress must submit a copy of their official college transcripts with final course grades for in-progress courses to the Admissions Office by the deadline indicated in the student’s UH STAR account.

4. Take academic placement assessments

Writing Placement

Beginning Fall 2011, students’ SAT-EBRW, SAT-W score or ACT score will be used for placement into ENG 100 Composition I (3) Composition I or ENG 100T Composition with Tutorial (3) Composition with Tutorial . If you do not have an SAT or ACT score and you have not yet earned credit for ENG 100 Composition I (3) Composition I (or the equivalent), you will need to take the Writing Placement Assessment before you are able to register for ENG 100 Composition I (3) Composition I or ENG 100T Composition with Tutorial (3) Composition with Tutorial.

More information can be found at: UH Hilo Writing Placement Assessment.

English Proficiency Test

All non-native speakers of English are required to take the Writing Placement Assessment and the English Proficiency Placement (EPT) to determine if supplemental ESL classes are required. More information can be found on the English Language Institute’s Placement Assessments webpage.

Math Placement

UH Hilo offers a wide range of math and chemistry courses for entering students. Completing the Math Placement Assessment is required to enroll in most Math and/or Chemistry courses. The Math Placement Assessment is an online assessment which should be taken well ahead of class registration and will be used for both math and chemistry placement.

Students with questions about their placement score should meet with an academic advisor.

Hawaiian Language Placement

Students who have previously studied Hawaiian language and believe they may be prepared for coursework beyond HAW 101 Elementary Hawaiian I (4) : Elementary Hawaiian 1 should take the Hawaiian Language placement assessment.

Japanese Language Placement

Students with previous knowledge of Japanese language are required to take a placement assessment before they register for any Japanese language course.

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation is offered during the week prior to the start of classes in the Fall and Spring semesters. It is filled with fun activities, events, and workshops all designed to create connections with other new students, with our faculty, and with numerous campus resources and the staff that run them. We also have workshops which will help students be academically successful at UH Hilo, and there will be lots of Vulcan spirit as we welcome students into our university ‘ohana!

Student Health Insurance

Health insurance is highly recommended for all students. A University of Hawaiʻi endorsed student health insurance plan is designed for students. Detailed information about this insurance plan including costs and an application are available online. Applications may also be picked up from the Student Medical Services Office (Campus Center 212).

Students who do not have private health insurance may qualify for State of Hawaiʻi health insurance called Med-QUEST. Qualifications for this free, limited insurance plan are based on income and assets. Detailed information including an application is available online on the Med-QUEST website.

For International Students Only: All international students are required to provide proof of health insurance. For information about health insurance requirements and options, please visit the International Student Services website.