Admission of Unclassified, Non-degree Students

A person who wants to take courses at UH Hilo, but does not want or does not qualify to enroll in a degree program, may apply for admission as an unclassified student. An unclassified student is not a candidate for a degree or a Board of Regents-approved certificate and will not be allowed to become a candidate unless they meet the admission standards required of students seeking a degree. Moreover, most types of financial aid programs will not be available to unclassified students. International visa students and Western Undergraduate Exchange students are not eligible for unclassified, non-degree status. Students who are on academic dismissal or suspension do not qualify under this status. Contact the Admissions Office for more information.