Admission of First-Time Freshmen
This is the 2019-2020 UH Hilo catalog, previous year catalogs can be viewed on the Back Issues page.
Students applying for admission directly from high school as freshmen are advised to submit official high school transcripts or the General Education Development high school equivalency records, scores of the American College Test (ACT) or the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), and recommendations from school officials.
Admission from high school requires the following:
- 3.0 academic GPA in 17 units to include 4 English, 3 Math (including Algebra II), 3 Science and 7 college-prep electives (including social studies, language, and additional math and science)
- Submission of ACT or SAT scores is required for applicants with an academic GPA below 3.0 and is recommended for applicants for advising and placement purposes
- GPA below 3.0 considered on a sliding scale with test scores
Applicants denied admission may reapply as transfer students after satisfactorily completing 24 semester hours of transferable courses at another regionally accredited college or university.
- Residency Regulations for Tuition Purposes
- Admission Procedures
- Admission of First-Time Freshmen
- Admission of Transfer Students
- Admission of International Students
- Admission of Returnees
- Admission of Unclassified, Non-degree Students
- Admission of Auditors
- Running Start/Early Admission Program
- Admission to Summer Session
- Admission to Agriculture Development Program
- Information for Admitted Students
- Profile of Admitted Freshmen Students 2016