Exhibits & Displays at the Mookini Library
Contact the Library
Anyone wishing to create a display or exhibit artwork in the Mookini Library should begin by contacting the appropriate library subject liaison for the material covered in the exhibit or by emailing email@example.com. The library subject liaison will work with you to incorporate library materials and resources into your exhibit, and will put you in touch with the appropriate Public Services staff to help guide you through our procedures.
Request to Exhibit Form
Next, complete the Request to Exhibit form (below) and email it to the appropriate library subject liaison for the material covered in the exhibit or to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 30 calendar days before the proposed exhibit date. The Mookini Library Public Services Department reviews proposed exhibits and offers recommendations on their appropriateness, timing, execution, duration, etc., to the University Librarian. Where there are substantive questions/problems regarding a proposed exhibit, the University Librarian makes the final decision and the Head of Public Services conveys that decision to the exhibitor.
Security & Liability
The Library will do its best to maintain proper security for loaned materials during the exhibit, but there must be a clear understanding that the library cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to the materials. The Request to Exhibit form includes a waiver to this effect, which must be signed by the person responsible for the exhibit before installation.
Mookini Library exhibit space is scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Scheduling and duration of an exhibit is to be determined by the Head of Public Services in consultation with the University Librarian.
Criteria for Acceptance of Exhibits
The University Librarian reserves the final decision on all exhibits. Exhibits proposed to the Library will be accepted or declined based on the following:
The purpose of providing library exhibits is to:
- Display materials on themes or events of interest to the campus community.
- Publicize research, scholarly, and/or creative work performed by UH Hilo and Hawaii Community College faculty or students.
- Publicize, and/or recruit for, campus organizations or projects.
- Publicize the programs, resources, and services of UH Hilo, Hawaii Community College, and their various organizations.
- Publicize the programs, resources, and services of the library.
Exhibits of a commercial nature (e.g. to solicit business) which constitute recruitment efforts by non-University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo or non-Hawaiʻi Community College affiliated organizations are not accepted.
- The Head of Public Services is the Exhibit Coordinator for the Library.
- Public Services keeps a schedule of library exhibits and maintains a log of all proposed exhibits.
- Public Services staff works with the exhibitor and has authority to suggest changes to improve clarity of an exhibit and enforce the policy.
- Mounting and dismantling the exhibit is the responsibility of the exhibitor.
- Exhibit materials not claimed by the exhibitor within 10 business days of the scheduled dismantling may be discarded.
Public Services will design and post a sign in the library entrance announcing the exhibit/display.
- Maps and Descriptions of Gallery Locations
Posting Materials in the Library
Approval is needed from Library Administration to post or display any materials inside the library or on any exterior surface of the library. Any unauthorized materials will be immediately removed.
The "Soliciting" section of the library's Conduct in the Library policy states:
Soliciting is not permitted in the library. This policy extends to all areas of the library, including restrooms and exterior walls.
- Soliciting includes buying or selling goods or services, asking for donations of any kind, distributing political campaign material or petitions, or distributing anything not connected with the function of the library.
- Soliciting includes posting or displaying handouts, brochures, signs, etc. Approval is needed from Library Administration to post or display any materials inside the library or on any exterior surface of the library. Any unauthorized materials will be immediately removed.
Exceptions to the policy are made at the discretion of the library and include the following:
- Fundraising projects conducted by the library.
- Persons authorized by the library (vendors, food drive, etc.).
- Surveys or other class assignments that have been approved by the library prior to distribution.