Hawaiian Music: Songs & Composers
Use the following websites to find more information about specific Hawaiian Songs and Composers. Many of these sites have a search option.
- ULUKAU Music and Entertainment Learning Experience
- Haʻilono Mele Newsletters
- Searchable by Composer Name and/or Song
- HUAPALA Hawaiian Music and Hula Archives
- Hawaiian Songs: An Index of Published Songbooks Compiled by Amy Kuʻuleialoha Stillman
- Hawaiian Chants: An Index of Published Sources and Audio Recordings Compiled by Amy Kuʻuleialoha Stillman
- Hula Preservation Society
- Ancient Hula Types, Implements/Instruments, Chants, & Kūpuna
- UH Mānoa Hawaiian Music Collection: Artist and Performer Biographies
Magazine and Newspaper Articles
Mookini Library subscribes to several useful newspaper databases that can be used for researching historic and contemporary content about specific topics such as Hawaiian music, musicians, and events. For example, the Newsbank Database allows users to search for Hawaiʻi, U.S., and International newspaper articles. Click on the link associated with your institution to access the complete list of newspaper databases that are available to you.
Open Access Resources about Hawaiʻi
- Hawaiʻi Pacific Journal Index (HPJI): Includes a searchable index of magazine and journal articles about Hawaiʻi and the Pacific.
- eVols: Includes a searchable database of digitized collections and journals sponsored by UH Mānoa. See example: Hawaiian Music and Poetry by Mary Kawena Pukui.
- ScholarSpace: Is a searchable digital institutional repository for open-access materials of intellectual works and collections of the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa community. See example: Virtuosic ʻUkulele: Re/creating Ethno-musical Identities in Hawaiʻi.
- Bob Krauss Research Index: Includes an index of English-language newspapers from Hawaiʻi, 1840-1944.
- Hawaiian Historical Society: Includes Helen Chapin's Guide to Newspapers of Hawaiʻi, 1834-2000.
- Hoʻolaupaʻi Hawaiian Nūpepa Collection: Provides access to 114 years of historic newspapers published in Hawaiʻi between 1834 and 1948, including Ka Lama Hawaiʻi, Ka Hoku O Ka Pakipika, Ka Nonanona, Ka Nupepa Kuokoa, Ke Alaula, etc.
- Chronicling America: Includes digitized newspapers from 1798-1963. Users are able to limit search to Hawaii and specific date ranges.
Streaming Music and Film
ʻUluʻulu: The Henry Kuʻualoha Giugni Moving Image Archive of Hawaiʻi Provides access to a searchable database of film content related to the history and culture of Hawaiʻi.
Alexandria Digital Research Library (ADRL) Cylinder Audio Archive, Place: Hawaiʻi Includes a searchable database of digitized research materials housed by the U.C. Santa Barbara Library.
ʻŌiwi TV: Music Provides access to documentaries, news, and multimedia about Hawaiʻi.
Project Kuleana YouTube Channel Project KULEANA documents Hawaiian Music and Musicians sharing their knowledge of Mele Hawaiʻi (Hawaiian Songs). This channel includes videos of Hawaiian Musicians.
Parts of the 'Ukulele