Finding Dissertations and Theses
Research hint: dissertations and theses have great lists of references!
Dissertations and Theses from ProQuest (Licensed for UH Hilo users only)
Online access to full text of doctoral dissertations and graduate theses from universities around the world, including all campuses of the University of Hawaiʻi.
(Not available to Hawaiʻi CC users outside the Mookini Library)
HŌKŪ- Hilo Online Knowledge Universe The mission of HŌKŪ is to serve as a managed online space where UH Hilo scholarly or creative content in electronic formats may be stored, preserved, and disseminated. Some of the content in HŌKŪ includes Theses and Dissertations, School of Nursing Practice Inquiry Projects, DKICP Student Research Projects, and Hawaiʻi Cooperative Studies Unit Projects.
ScholarSpace is the Mānoa version of HŌKŪ, storing the intellectual works and unique collections of the UH Mānoa academic community. These materials potentially include scholarly communications (articles and pre-prints), theses and dissertations, technical reports, multimedia, interactive teaching programs, and data sets.
Examples of what’s available:
- Duffy, Deidre. An Historical Analysis of Hunting in Hawai‘i. University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, 2010.
- Fontaine, Mark Alfred Kawika. Two Views of Ancient Hawaiian Society. University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa, 2012.
- Johns, Edward M. Drag families in Hawaiʻi: Exploration of Māhūwahine social support systems. University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. 2009.
- Haight, Pamela. “A Trustworthy Historical Record”: The Later Writing of Abraham Fornander, 1870-1887. University of Hawaiʻi, 2004.
- Harman, Kekoa Lloyd. Lamakū: Ka 'imi na'auao me ka piko'u Hawai'i he noi'ina polokalamu kālā hele kulanui Hawai'i. University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. 2008.
- Ho‘omanawanui, Sherilyn Ku‘ualoha. Pele’s Appeal: Moʻolelo, Kaona, and Hulihia in “Pele and Hi‘iaka” Literature (1860-1928). University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2007.
- Jaeggli, Sarah A. An Observational Study of the Formation and Evolution of Sunspots. University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2011.
- Mello, Nicole A. Koʻa Heiau Holomoana: Voyaging Set in Stone. University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. 2017.
- Nakoa III, Joseph William Paʻakaula. Dilution of Sewage Pollution in the Coastal Waters of Hilo, Hawaiʻi, USA: An Area with High River and Groundwater Inputs. University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. 2022
- Orme, Jennifer. Mouth to Mouth: Storytelling and Desire in Contemporary Fairy-Tale Fiction and Film. University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2010.
- Reevesman, Anne M. A Local Habitation and a Name: Local Literatures of Hawaiʻi. University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee, 2006.
- Yi, Jane H. Asian American Literature in the Age of Globalization: Rethinking Race, Ethnicity and Nationalism in the United States. University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, 2005.