BSN Frequently Asked Questions
- 1) Which version of academic requirements apply to me?
- 2) How do I transfer from another college?
- 3) Can I use a class taken at another UH campus for the UH Hilo BSN Program?
- 4) What if I skip a semester between UH Hilo classes?
- 5) What if I want to take an online course at another campus?
- 6) Why obtain the BSN in Nursing?
- 7) What if I'm in the grade or high school and am just curious about becoming a nurse?
- 8) What if I'm interested in donating money, items, or services to the nursing program?
- 9) How much does it cost to attend UH Hilo?
- Questions about the RN to BSN Program?
1) Which version of academic requirements apply to me?
Students may elect to fulfill the requirements in any one of three catalogs, and they may elect to fulfill GE and Integrative requirements from one of these and their major requirements from another:
- The catalog in force when the student entered the UH system, as long as s/he remains continuously enrolled (no more than a 1 semester break)
- The catalog in force when the student entered UH Hilo, as long as s/he remains continuously enrolled
- The catalog in force when the student graduates
The “default” catalog will be the one in force when the student comes to UH Hilo, but students may change this default as they wish, by filling out a “catalog choice” form through the Office of the Registrar .
- Please refer to the applicable checklist when planning your courses based on your year of admission into the UH system. For additional information, review the catalog retroactivity policy.
2) How do I transfer from another college?
- Students transferring from other colleges should review the information about transfer credits found in the UH Hilo catalog.
- Students may contact the UH Hilo Admissions Office for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only courses approved by the Admissions Office for transfer credit, after application to UH Hilo, can be applied toward degree requirements
3) Can I use a class taken at another UH campus for the UH Hilo BSN Program?
Courses taken at any UH campus could apply toward prerequisites for the UH Hilo BSN Program under an articulation agreement among all UH campuses. Print a copy of the equivalencies by clicking the link: 2010 UH Hilo Systemwide Articulated Courses. For other course equivalencies not on that list, please check on course equivalencies throughout the UH system.
4) What if I skip a semester between UH Hilo classes?
Students should contact the UH Hilo Admissions Department at email@example.com or call (808) 932-7446 for a Continuing Student Form that will allow a student to skip one semester without reapplying. Students must reapply if they miss more than one semester and may be subject to new graduation requirements.
5) What if I want to take an online course at another campus?
Online courses are posted in the UH Distance Learning website for each semester:
6) Why obtain the BSN in Nursing?
The BSN degree is an educational achievement that signals a nurse’s basic preparation as a nurse leader and critical thinker. This is clearly described in information provided by the nursing professional organization, the Academy of Academic Colleges of Nursing, AACN.
7) What if I'm in the grade or high school and am just curious about becoming a nurse?
It is not too early to start preparing for a future nursing career in junior high/ intermediate school or senior high school. Pay close attention to getting science courses into your schedules and getting good grades along the way. The Hawaiʻi Area Health Education Council (AHEC) works at helping students to enter healthcare field. Find more information at AHEC's web site .
8) What if I'm interested in donating money, items, or services to the nursing program?
- Contact the UH Foundation and identify contributions as earmarked for the UH Hilo BSN Program.
- For other donations, contact the nursing department at (808) 932-7067.
- All donations are greatly appreciated.
9) How much does it cost to attend UH Hilo?
A breakdown of the costs required to attend UH Hilo can be found Financial Aid site. In addition to tuition, there is a $500.00 per semester professional fee. The initial approximate cost of books is $400-$600.00 and the cost varies from semester to semester. There is also a one time cost at the beginning of your first semester in the Nursing Program for uniforms and supplies. If you are looking to apply for Financial Aid, please visit the Financial Aid Office.