Exploratory Health Sciences (EXHS)
Prior to formal admission into the upper-division Nursing program, students following the course of study to qualify for admission will be considered Exploratory Health Sciences student. Newly entering students should indicate EXHS as the major on their Common Application Form. Continuing UH Hilo students who have not done so should submit a "Change of Program" form to indicate EXHS as the major. There are no special requirements for the EXHS major. Students should seek regular advisement from their assigned nursing faculty adviser regarding academic planning.
Upper-Division Nursing Major
Students qualify for admission into the upper division of the basic Baccalaureate Nursing Program after completing prerequisite courses. Admission is on a competitive, space-available basis.
The criteria for admission to the Nursing program are as follows:
- Timely submission of UH Hilo Common Application Form for newly entering students or "Change of Program" form for continuing students. (Designate NURH for the major.)
- Timely submission of nursing application form
- A 2.7 cumulative college grade point average (GPA)
- A 3.0 GPA for all courses listed as a Natural Science degree requirement for the BSN program
- Completion of all college prerequisite courses (Note: Biology and chemistry classes must be passed with a "C" or better grade. Students transferring from outside the UH system must submit course descriptions for all non-nursing courses and course syllabi for nursing courses.)
- Only 16 credits of nursing prerequisite courses can be outstanding with a maximum of 8 credits in the required sciences (including no more than one lab) by the end of the semester prior to application.
- Basic students will take a pre-entry examination with students expected to meet minimum performance standards set forth by the program. This is not a requirement for RN to BSN students.
Admission Application Forms
Fall admission only: Applications to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program must be made by November 1st for Fall entry. The current application form is available in the Forms section from August to November.
TEAS VI Entrance Test
Students planning to apply for the UH Hilo BSN program for Fall are required to complete the pre-entry test, TEAS VI (6.0 edition), by the application deadline.
Registering for the TEAS VI
All UH Hilo School of Nursing BSN Program applicants must submit a TEAS VI exam result with his/her Application for the BSN Program (Application deadline Nov. 1st). Any other tests or editions of the TEAS, other than the TEAS VI, will not be acceptable for the admission application of the UH Hilo SON BSN Program.
- To register for the TEAS VI, please go to atitesting.com, create a username and password and register on the dates you wish to take. There is a limit of 30 students per exam date.
- If a student wishes to take the TEAS VI at another location, other than the UH Hilo SON, it will be necessary to check with ATI Testing for another possible location where the TEAS VI will be given. If the TEAS VI is taken elsewhere, besides UH Hilo SON, the student must make prior arrangements with ATI to have a copy of his/her TEAS VI results sent to the UH Hilo SON. There is a fee for that service.
- If you are re-taking the TEAS VI exam, please wait TWO exam dates from your initial test date. For instance, if the exam is offered 4 times in one month (A,B,C,D), you took exam 'A' and want to retake the exam, please sign up for exam 'D'.
On the Day of the TEAS VI Exam
- UH Hilo Main Campus map
- TEAS VI testing will begin promptly and students arriving later than 30 minutes prior to the exam will need to reschedule.
- The TEAS VI must be completed within approximately 4 hours, as this is a timed exam.
- Scratch paper and pens will be provided to you
What to Bring to the TEAS VI Exam:
- Valid Photo ID
- Your previously created ATI ID and Password
- Your car keys (if driving after the TEAS VI)
What Not to Bring to the TEAS VI Exam:
- Cell phones, iPads, calculators, laptops, and all other electronic devices
- Purses, backpacks, or bags
- Food and Drinks (hydrate and consume food prior to the exam)
- For extenuating circumstances, regarding items not allowed at the TEAS VI site, contact Darren Higa at the UH Hilo SoN for prior authorization at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions and/or concerns please contact:
Darren Higa at email@example.com